Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont comment on Hawks and Crows draft picks this season.

As for North, we all knew North Melbourne were going to use picks 2 and 3 on victorian kids.

Like North were going to use those picks on non vic again after the JHF situation

I mean, there really isn't any point on commenting on Adelaides haul. This trade/draft period was about Rankine for us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm decently happy with how we handled this draft, but that's more to do with that we read the tea leaves correctly with the Michalanny bid, then anything we added.

If Crows roll a few good teams at home and get some momentum I could see them finishing in the 8-10 range.

Lot of good pieces, any midfielders coming through that add a point of difference?

Rankine is probably the big hope there coming into 2023 if we're looking for a splash impact to our midfield unit. Solgio and Berry also continuing their good run of form would also be the other major jump that could feasibly occur this year. Rachele, Parnell and Cook could feasibly play a role as well on the outside of the contest as well this year to help out.

Longer term, Taylor looks like he should be a very good in/out player as well, but that's probably for 2024 onwards. Ditto Pedlar who is probably the most destructive player on our list, but just hasn't got a great run at it injury wise (though he had a very solid SANFL finals series). Nankervis looks an exciting player as well seeing he oozes x-factor, but really '24- at this point.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So North (my boys) have been on the track today and well are destroying early preseason predictions. Our track watches never get ahead of themselves.

We may need to leave this thread to the Hawks and Crows, looks like we're finals bound.

Giddy up.
Everyone training the house down?

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
I might be missing this too, I can't recall any settled talls aside from Walker. They have a decent ruck right?
f2af55ff-8744-4342-8db8-9233dcb2adf3-png.1476847

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
Don't ask me about my username
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, 76ers, Phillies
Not sure I rate Fogarty that much. Sure he had a good end half to the year but his numbers are boosted a lot by downhill skiing (15 goals in 4 games against North and West Coast). Only 9 goals from 7 games against top 8 sides.

Thilthorpe I think will be the better key forward by a fair margin.

I could be running my mouth but I have 3 Adelaide forward propsects ranked ahead of him.

Will still be a good player.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
One good year.
It may be fair enough to judge and be excited by a young key forward on their most recent season.

Or you can say the same about your DeKonig. Has only had 1 good season from 3.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Some bloody unreal drafts from both North & Hawthorn.

North getting in two top 5 talents & George.

Wardlaw, Sheezel & George.

all bringing something exciting, Wardlaw that tough inside mid with explosive pace, competitive nature, but also very skillful.

Sheezel that crafty xfactor forward who can play through the middle, with dazzling skill & George is similar to that in a explosive powerful fwd/mid who just makes you wanna keep your eyes on the game.

-
Hawthorn getting in two first round talents with Hustwaite aswell who was seen as a talent around 15-20.

MacKenzie, Weddle & Hustwaite.

all bring something exciting again with, MacKenzie super balanced midfielder who's a stoppage beast but is explosive and super evasive with beautiful skills.

Weddle is an absolute freak of nature being 192cm but rapid quick and a super endurance athlete, good skills, very good aerially with a great leap, nightmare matchup as a wing/mid.

Hustwaite as that 195cm big midfielder, compared to Pendlebury because he's that super composed & skillful midfielder, he's tall and has decent pace but he's just able to slow everyone else down and makes the right decisions, was one of the best contested mids in the NAB League.

-
Adelaide didn't bring in much, traded in late for Dowling who's a really good accumulator and a pretty good size and will add something to that Adelaide future midfield.

Rankine is more talented than anyone picked up by North or Hawthorn this off-season.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sure, but the debate was on settled talls. Fogarty was good this year, has looked average prior.
I agree on that. I thought he was not going to make it. But this year probably showed what he is capable of. He looked their most dangerous key forward in a number of games. Maybe he has matured and is ready? But second half of this season he was probably one of the first picked in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure I rate Fogarty that much. Sure he had a good end half to the year but his numbers are boosted a lot by downhill skiing (15 goals in 4 games against North and West Coast). Only 9 goals from 7 games against top 8 sides.

Thilthorpe I think will be the better key forward by a fair margin.

I could be running my mouth but I have 3 Adelaide forward propsects ranked ahead of him.

Will still be a good player.
What’s better? Not kicking goals against the bottom 8 teams or kicking goals against some top 8 teams? Particularly when you’re not even close to playing finals. Looking at overall seasons, Fogarty not dissimilar to Zuhaar.

Oh what a floggish post. You'd know NOTHING about Michalanney. Sydney quite simply do not nominate players they don't absolutely rate. They called Michalanney. That says everything. Their call was not simply motivated out of spite. That'd be unprofessional, and Sydney aren't that. Along with trading in Rankine, we've done very bloody well with our picks starting at 46 beyond the Rankine trade.

Hawthorns draft was closer to Adelaide’s than norths.

McKenzie should be a good get for them but after that both clubs picked similar players in the same range.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree on that. I thought he was not going to make it. But this year probably showed what he is capable of. He looked their most dangerous key forward in a number of games. Maybe he has matured and is ready? But second half of this season he was probably one of the first picked in the forward line.

Yeah, if he goes on with it next year that is one spot settled for the medium term.

Correct. Getting in Rankine with 5 matches or beats Hawthorn getting MacKenzie at 7. Blanket over the rest.
Hawthorn also brought in Meek, Stephens and Amon, on top of 2 first rounders.

I’ll take Hawks ins over Rankine who’s output to date has not matched his potential.

Meek is a depth ruckman, Stephens has done nothing so far and Amon is not part of the “youth”.
Meek isn’t a depth ruckman, which is why he had up to 10 clubs try to get him out of Freo.
Stephens is a 21yr old former first rounder who was probably 5th in line at the 2022 premier and wanted game time.

Amon isn’t youth, but he’s a damn good pick up on top of those above, so if Crows fans are going to suggest that getting Rankine in counters Hawthorn picking up MacKenzie at 7, I’m just pointing out that we also brought in more young talent via the trade period(and Amon) and also took 2 first rounders.

The biggest issue I see with the Crows is their development of drafted players looks to be questionable with so many 1st rounders who’ve not kicked on.

Meek isn’t a depth ruckman, which is why he had up to 10 clubs try to get him out of Freo.
Stephens is a 21yr old former first rounder who was probably 5th in line at the 2022 premier and wanted game time.

Amon isn’t youth, but he’s a damn good pick up on top of those above, so if Crows fans are going to suggest that getting Rankine in counters Hawthorn picking up MacKenzie at 7, I’m just pointing out that we also brought in more young talent via the trade period(and Amon) and also took 2 first rounders.

The biggest issue I see with the Crows is their development of drafted players looks to be questionable with so many 1st rounders who’ve not kicked on.

Saying you got 2 first rounders is a bit meaningless as a point of comparison as Michalaney was also first rounder, so it’s not like Weddle was something extra, he was already counted as part of your ins.

I made the comparison because some hawks fans are acting like they’ve pulled off a draft coup.

Fogarty has had one good year and I am not really sold on Butts. Thilthorpe looks to be a real gem but at the moment the potential>>>.the output.
Thilthorpe is only 20. Confident he will be a gun as has the competitive mindset to succeed along with the talent.

Butts is only 22. Had a good 1st half of season, but struggled a little in the 2nd half after being very reliable last year. Confident he has the tools to be a long term player for us.

Worrell I'm really excited about & should have been picked earlier as Doedee was playing injured most of the year. Tall & athletic who can match up on all sizes now he has put on more muscle over the off season.

Fogarty found his AFL mojo this year & won't look back. Just watch the confident swagger. Along with Tex, Thilthorpe, Rankine, Rachele & McAdam... our forward line is going to be fun to watch live next season.

If Crows roll a few good teams at home and get some momentum I could see them finishing in the 8-10 range.

Lot of good pieces, any midfielders coming through that add a point of difference?
Pedlar is the one if he can remain injury free.

Taylor is the other one who I expect to debut early in the season.

These 2 along with Soligo are the key to the future... along with Rankine & Rachele having stints in the midfield.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Thilthorpe is only 20. Confident he will be a gun as has the competitive mindset to succeed along with the talent.

Butts is only 22. Had a good 1st half of season, but struggled a little in the 2nd half after being very reliable last year. Confident he has the tools to be a long term player for us.

Worrell I'm really excited about & should have been picked earlier as Doedee was playing injured most of the year. Tall & athletic who can match up on all sizes now he has put on more muscle over the off season.

Fogarty found his AFL mojo this year & won't look back. Just watch the confident swagger. Along with Tex, Thilthorpe, Rankine, Rachele & McAdam... our forward line is going to be fun to watch live next season.

Agree, but he isn't there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back