Analysis Which team out of Essendon, Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the best youth?

• Essendon

• Adelaide

• Hawthorn

• North

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blackhawk42

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I refuse to vote in these threads due to obvious bias.

I will say, however, that seeing Hawthorn being easily dismissed is risky business. Our 2021 draft haul of Ward, Macdonald and Butler are going to change people's minds as season 2023 progresses. These 3 (Ward in particular) are criminally overlooked in these discussions.

Bradkli

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I refuse to vote in these threads due to obvious bias.

I will say, however, that seeing Hawthorn being easily dismissed is risky business. Our 2021 draft haul of Ward, Macdonald and Butler are going to change people's minds as season 2023 progresses. These 3 (Ward in particular) are criminally overlooked in these discussions.

With the return of Wingard and Brockman hopefully fully fit I can’t see butler in our best 22. I think he has potential but he looked below the top level last season. He needs a full season in the VFL. I think brockman has a much higher ceiling and I would play him over Butler currently.

Our round 1 forward line next season will most probably look something like this..the loss of Gunston is going to hurt as there is no replacement. Serong is minimum 2 years off playing consistent senior football. Jeka is better than Koschitzke but is now a defender.

HF: Macdonald Koschitzke moore
FF: Breust Lewis Wingard (brockman bench)

Vindicater

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Jeka probably goes back forward again.

Big Blanck fan, DGB, Day, CJ, Scrimshaw all 23 and under.

Hardwick is only about 25, Sicily is only 27 and still has heaps of footy left, and as captain.

27 is youth now?

TheUnicorn

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Come At Me Kevin Hart GIF

the Ziebull

Premium Platinum
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looking forward to seeing which superstar North let drop to us, after they grab the next Will Phillips and JHF.
Will Phillips will be a jet for us

and JHF whilst a mistake allowed us to get pick 3 and a future first

FlowersByIrene

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
None of them really move the needle for me. I think North have the most talented options, but whether they have the ability to develop any of them is a completely different question. Adelaide has a lot that I like but no superstars. Essendon don't have anyone I would consider close to a superstar. Hawthorn are probably my favourite out of this list all things considered, but I think they cut too deep and will suffer.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do Essendon have anyone young who looks like they could be a top midfielder of the competition?

What about a key forward?

What about a key defender?

What about a running HBF?

What about a small forward?

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

They don't have the best young midfield, forward or backs of the four teams mentioned...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic
what does it matter.
lists don't win anything. Culture does

On that note, i'm voting Adelaide. Nicks is drilling these kids to compete and not take backwards steps. That will set them up nicely in the long run.

Dominic03

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t shoot the messenger Dommy.

AFL aren’t happy with Hawthorn, will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Mate. Everyone involved with the incident has been and gone. Everyone involved is at other clubs even, Fagan, Clarko.

It would be entirely stupid for repercussions to come to Sam, the current coaching staff & playing group.

And those involved and individuals affected, the victims, aren’t willing to speak up about it and or name themselves etc.

Which makes this whole ordeal hard, whether punishment was a thing or not.

Lars27

Rookie
Jun 6, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Depends on the definition of 'youth'. I rate Norths players that are 23-25ish but their list of 22 and under is pretty poor IMO outside of maybe Tarryn Thomas. Two top picks in this years draft will help change that though.
None of these clubs had any players that made the 22 Under 22 team. But I rate Adelaide's list of players 22 and under the highest.
Essendon started rebuilding via the draft in 2020, so it's pretty early for us. Our highest pick used in the draft between 2017-2019 was 30. I think we are finally on the right track though and do rate some of our young players, but most of them have played under 30 games so it is hard to compare them to someone like Jye Simpkin who has played 116.

Mitchell Madness

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Wonder how this poll will look if Hawthorn lose their 2023 draft picks due to the racism report.
Never going to happen. It didn't happen to Collingwood who called it a "proud day," and it won't happen to any other team when the skeletons fall out of the closet

HeHateMe

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Essendon have been added to this thread, marvelous.

Who are we comparing anyone 24 or 25 and under next year?

so we are including Parish, Ridley, McGrath, Draper, Simpkin, Mckay, Larkey, Logue, Zurhaar, Stevo, Scrimshaw, Lewis, Reeves, Meek, Milera.

Or younger?

HeHateMe

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Another way to compare these teams would be to ranked each section of the ground into a 1 - 4 with the smallest number being the best.
I'd rank them:

Def: Haw, Ess, Nrth, Adl
Mid: Ess, Nrth, Adl, Haw
Fwd: Adl, Haw, Nrth, Ess

Ess: 7
Haw: 7
North: 8
Adl: 8