Analysis Which team out of Essendon, Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the best youth?

• Essendon

• Adelaide

• Hawthorn

• North

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, we know that you're delusional.

"What criteria can I fit our only good key defender under?" For North fans.
We know you have a s**t coach

And average youth

Enjoy 2023 maybe being your final year in a long time to come where you may finish above us and even then I wouldn’t be surprised we leapfrog you next year

So who finish the highest out of these 4 in 2023?
I thought North would make a decent climb last year and they didn't so I have lost faith. Adelaide look decent but I'll be honest I don't know a lot about their list. My bias says we could easily push top 8, Hawthorn have Newcombe who's a god, But lost some good experience.

Essendon
Adelaide
Hawthorn
North

I thought North would make a decent climb last year and they didn't so I have lost faith. Adelaide look decent but I'll be honest I don't know a lot about their list. My bias says we could easily push top 8, Hawthorn have Newcombe who's a god, But lost some good experience.

Essendon
Adelaide
Hawthorn
North
Yeah I agree.

My prediction is: Crows, Bombers, Hawks, Roos with none of these teams winning the spoon.

I find Essendon the hardest to predict though, I could see a tough start for whatever reason and with a new coach the club pivoting to more of a rebuild development year. Also I could see them doing the best out of the 4 teams as you have predicted.

Last edited:
Essendon have very good younger players/mid aged players. Anybody who says otherwise, is a pleb.

Throw in Tsatas, the Davey bros, possibly Munkara.....and they'll be hard to stop.

They still have Massimo, on the rookie list. Nic Martin is a gun, how old's he? 22-23?

Essendon have very good younger players/mid aged players. Anybody who says otherwise, is a pleb.

Throw in Tsatas, the Davey bros, possibly Munkara.....and they'll be hard to stop.

They still have Massimo, on the rookie list. Nic Martin is a gun, how old's he? 22-23?
Turns 22 in March

Spot on!

People will complain the sky is blue when it comes to Essendon they’ll whinge no matter what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essendon probably have the best youth in terms of being a safe bet, but you'd have to say North have the highest ceiling when it comes to quality of youth.
Whether or not the youth at North reaches its potential is a tough question, especially when North spend less on their football department.

Essendon probably have the best youth in terms of being a safe bet, but you'd have to say North have the highest ceiling when it comes to quality of youth.
Whether or not the youth at North reaches its potential is a tough question, especially when North spend less on their football department.

Am hopeful that the likes of Cox, Reid and Tsatas can be high ceiling types. Also expect Perkins to be a very very good player at his peak.

Looks like I wasn't far off the mark in saying
My prediction is: Crows, Bombers, Hawks, Roos with none of these teams winning the spoon.

Bombers doing a little better than I predicted but I also mentioned that I found them hard to place because I was unsure how they would go under the new coach but if things went well they would be the best of the lot.

I'm even more bullish on the Hawks now as well and in regards to quantity of good players 24 and under we would be leading the way. Just need the few that look to be coming on (Day, Newcombe, Lewis, Moore) to keep going so we have that quality as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn have 7 of the top 50 under 22 players in the comp, including Newcombe who is number 1 (AFL Player Ratings).

Essendon have 4. Adelaide 4. North 4.

AFL ratings are a nice impact measure but they are hardly a source of truth on who is a better player. Especially when comparing players across multiple positions.

Also the stats feeding the player ratings aren’t exactly concrete with many of them being subjective in nature.

AFL ratings are a nice impact measure but they are hardly a source of truth on who is a better player. Especially when comparing players across multiple positions.

Also the stats feeding the player ratings aren’t exactly concrete with many of them being subjective in nature.
Stats many that we don’t have access to.

Stats are concrete and more factual than subjective opinions of yourself and me. Among others.

It isn’t the be all and all, but it is a very good guide.

Essendon have a good mix of youth and players in their prime but also a few older players sprinkled in.

Hawthorn have the best youth by my opinion but as much as you’d find with majority stats or impact measures.

Stats many that we don’t have access to.

Stats are concrete and more factual than subjective opinions of yourself and me. Among others.

It isn’t the be all and all, but it is a very good guide.

Essendon have a good mix of youth and players in their prime but also a few older players sprinkled in.

Hawthorn have the best youth by my opinion but as much as you’d find with majority stats or impact measures.

This “very good guide” has Todd Goldstein as better than James Sicily

This “very good guide” has Todd Goldstein as better than James Sicily
It’s comparing a player to their position, it’s a guide based off of statistics. Use it with common sense of course, Nick Daicos would be the clear 1 but isn’t in this instance. However the quantity within the top 50 is what’s interesting.

Martin is 7th and outside of the 25 there is Perkins, Durham and Hobbs.

I believe ours is
Newcombe, Day, Weddle, Brockman, Ward, MacKenzie & Seamus Mitchell

I still believe ours in both quantity and quality is better than the other clubs here.

Newcombe would be one of the best of the lot as would Day.

It’s exciting with two first year players there high and performing, with Seamus playing his first season of games. Brockman his third after an injured second season. Ward second season & this doesn’t include Connor MacDonald who had 28 disposals, 2 goals and 3 goal assists in a dominant display against Brisbane, showing his absolute quality.

Essendon is the clear best with Adelaide of the sides but both have some good prime age movers & handy/good experience.

Essendon is a step ahead of the Hawthorn re build so naturally have more under 22 players.
Essendon are ahead as a club in their build hence their youth being worse, because they're an overall better side and have less youth, and rely less on youth.

Essendon are ahead as a club in their build hence their youth being worse, because they're an overall better side and have less youth, and rely less on youth.

How can a team with the equal second youngest list in the comp have a worse youth than the team sitting on the bottom with the youngest list in the comp By less than a year difference?

Asking for a friend

I know it’s easy to over rate ones own, I certainly do. I think Zac is one of the most under rated players in the comp but surely you can’t be serious when you say our youth is inferior to Hawthorns? It literally has been our youth this year sans some outstanding games from Zac, Stringer that see us sitting comfortably in the 8.

How can a team with the equal second youngest list in the comp have a worse youth than the team sitting on the bottom with the youngest list in the comp By less than a year difference?

Asking for a friend

I know it’s easy to over rate ones own, I certainly do. I think Zac is one of the most under rated players in the comp but surely you can’t be serious when you say our youth is inferior to Hawthorns? It literally has been our youth this year sans some outstanding games from Zac, Stringer that see us sitting comfortably in the 8.
Because a list doesn't always mean everything.

For me, I just look at proven talent, you can't judge something you don't know. And someone like Hawthorn is gonna have more proven younger talent because they are an overall younger side with a team mainly built up of youth, whereas your spread is much greater and it's why you're contending for finals.

The youth for you i like, Perkins could be a game changing MID-FWD, Ridley isn't that old at all, he'd be close to being considered in all honesty, Nic Martin has been a genuine star on the wing.

It's just hard especially if you look at the fact our midfield is built purely off youth and has been performing well.

Again it's easier to form an opinion when you see more of a certain select view, which is why bias exists. As that's apart of it, or the fact "my team = good" but it's the same with ranking teams, talent etc, you can only judge what you see. Sometimes you see things others don't, sometimes you don't see things others do.

It's why talent scouts are super impressive.

Back