Analysis Which team out of Essendon, Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the best youth?

• Essendon

• Adelaide

• Hawthorn

• North

Results are only viewable after voting.
With footballers now playing well into their 30s, May as well move the cut from 25 to 29.

Seems to rise here each year anyway with posters squeezing in players.
Yeah. I don't see any way you can include players born before 1999 in the discussion honestly

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Should this thread be merged with the other which seems to exclude Essendon in the title?

clearly the crows board/coaching team rate the list with trading out of the draft (was the plan) but imo these players are just not long term players imo

jones, mcasey,worrell (body wise has talent) mchenry, hately,schoenberg, gollant, murphy,hinge,pedlar

in saying that i thinkv soligo looks elite, berry looks a 250 gamer,cook the same, rachele hip injury would be a concern long term fingers crossed its nothing,

sum up nicks needs to win games next year or the heat will come not sure that talent makes them rise above a essendon,

It's more correct to say we rated Rankine above everyone available in the '22 draft. Not that we rated our youth so we traded for Rankine (notwithstanding he's also quite young).

It's more correct to say we rated Rankine above everyone available in the '22 draft. Not that we rated our youth so we traded for Rankine (notwithstanding he's also quite young).
Yeah anybody who doesn't like this trade for Adelaide is crazy. He's an established player who plays there for 10 years.

Our under 25 team

Perez McKay Bonar
Goater Logue Thomas
Powell Phillips Taylor
Sheezel Comben Stephenson
Zurhaar Larkey Curtis
CCJ Simpkin LDU
Wardlaw Scott Xerri Harvey Ford

Emg: archer Dawson young Mahony lazzaro George Drury edwards
The other teams able to post there under 25 teams to compare?

Our under 25 team

Perez McKay Bonar
Goater Logue Thomas
Powell Phillips Taylor
Zurhaar Larkey Curtis
CCJ Simpkin LDU

Counting 25 year olds as youth is a very long bow. Again, I feel like anyone born before the turn of the century shouldn't be counted, maybe 1999, but that's a stretch too. Essendon post-draft born 2000 or later:

Rhett Montgomerie - Zachary Reid - Nikolas Cox
Alastair Lord - Lewis Hayes - Massimo D'Ambrosio
Sam Durham - Jye Caldwell - Nic Martin
Tex Wanganeen - Harrison Jones - Jye Menzie
Patrick Voss - Kaine Baldwin - Anthony Munkara
Nick Bryan - Archie Perkins - Ben Hobbs
Alwyn Davey - Elijah Tsatas - Cian McBride - Jayden Davey

With potentially Mitch Szybkowski as well. It's a little tall with Reid/Cox/Hayes in defence and Jones/Baldwin/Voss forward and McBride essentially playing as a defender/ruck. Love the midfield dynamic of Hobbs, Caldwell, Perkins and Tsatas on the inside and then Durham, Martin and Alwyn on the outside.

Counting 25 year olds as youth is a very long bow. Again, I feel like anyone born before the turn of the century shouldn't be counted, maybe 1999, but that's a stretch too. Essendon post-draft born 2000 or later:

Rhett Montgomerie - Zachary Reid - Nikolas Cox
Alastair Lord - Lewis Hayes - Massimo D'Ambrosio
Sam Durham - Jye Caldwell - Nic Martin
Tex Wanganeen - Harrison Jones - Jye Menzie
Patrick Voss - Kaine Baldwin - Anthony Munkara
Nick Bryan - Archie Perkins - Ben Hobbs
Alwyn Davey - Elijah Tsatas - Cian McBride - Jayden Davey

With potentially Mitch Szybkowski as well. It's a little tall with Reid/Cox/Hayes in defence and Jones/Baldwin/Voss forward and McBride essentially playing as a defender/ruck. Love the midfield dynamic of Hobbs, Caldwell, Perkins and Tsatas on the inside and then Durham, Martin and Alwyn on the outside.
Under 25 team will be around for the next 6 years plus so that is long term

The other teams able to post there under 25 teams to compare?
Okay what's the cut off are we including any players born in 97?

Such as Keays, Doedee, Dawson, Milera, Hardwick, McKay, Parish and Redman.

I just used any player under 25 as at todays date

McKay just snuck in by a few weeks turns 25 on Xmas eve
Okay but if you're going to include him I'd say you'll need to include anyone from his draft year. If not the Crows and Dons miss out on some of their best players while conveniently North can plug a pretty big hole at FB. Doesn't bother me from a Hawthorn perspective I can easily throw together a team without Hardwick where's Hawthorns defence still looks strong on paper. Just seems like a convenient cut off, intentional or not.

Anyway I agree with others 25 is to old for a youth team.

Okay but if you're going to include him I'd say you'll need to include anyone from his draft year. If not the Crows and Dons miss out on some of their best players while conveniently North can plug a pretty big hole at FB. Doesn't bother me from a Hawthorn perspective I can easily throw together a team without Hardwick where's Hawthorns defence still looks strong on paper. Just seems like a convenient cut off, intentional or not.

Anyway I agree with others 25 is too old for a youth team.
We’d just plug Dawson there if you made it 98 born and later

But yeah feel free to post a 25 and under team and highlight any 25 year olds in bold as I said in my above they are all currently 24 and under atm

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
According to draft guru the dockers 2023 list is 15th for age and 16th for experience so we should be included in this.
Our under 25 team

FB: Walker Cox Davies
HB: Young Chapman Clark
C: Erasmus Brodie Odriscol
Fol: Darcy Brayshaw Serong
HF: Freddy Jackson Henry
FF: Treacy Amiss Sturt
Int: Johnson Kuek Worner Emmet

I like north and crows youth

Our under 25 team

Perez McKay Bonar
Goater Logue Thomas
Powell Phillips Taylor
Zurhaar Larkey Curtis
CCJ Simpkin LDU

All players have AFL experience except Taylor who will very soon in 2023.

B: Jones 23, Butts 23, Murray 22
HB: Hamill 22, Worrell 22, Hinge 24
C: Sholl 23, Soligo 20, Taylor 20
HF: Pedlar 20, Fogarty 23, Rankine 22
F: Rachele 20, Thilthorpe 20, Gollant 21
R: Himmelberg 24, Schoenberg 22, Berry 21
I: Parnell 21, Hately 22, Cook 19, McHenry 22
Sub: Murphy 24

Others: McPherson 23, McAsey 22, Borlase 20, Newchurch 20, Michalanney 19, Nankervis 19, Dowling 18, Bond 18

Missing from best side:
Sloane 33, Walker 32, Seedsman 31, Laird 29, O'Brien 27, Doedee 26 , Keays 26, Dawson 26

Others:
Couch 28, Strachan 27

Likely Seedsman with injury & possibly Sloane retiring within the next year.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
According to draft guru the dockers 2023 list is 15th for age and 16th for experience so we should be included in this.
Our under 25 team

FB: Walker Cox Davies
HB: Young Chapman Clark
C: Erasmus Brodie Odriscol
Fol: Darcy Brayshaw Serong
HF: Freddy Jackson Henry
FF: Treacy Amiss Sturt
Int: Johnson Kuek Worner Emmet

I like north and crows youth
Now hold up a darn tootin' minute.

If we're going to lower the drawbridge and let supporters of good teams engage in this thread, where do you suppose this is going end?

Pretty soon we'll be having swans supporters dropping teams like

FB: Campbell - McCartin - Florent
HB: Blakey - Gould - Rankine
C: McInerney - Rowbottom - Stephens
Fol: Ladhams - Mills - Warner
HF: Hayward - Mclean - Gulden
FF: Sheldrick - McDonald - Wicks
INT: Clarke - Amartey - Konstanty - Francis

If we're going to lower the drawbridge and let supporters of good teams engage in this thread, where do you suppose this is going end?

I’d still back our under 25 team over those going forward

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

The thread title said 4 youngest teams
Freo is one swans isnt one

Under 25 team will be around for the next 6 years plus so that is long term
You're talking about guys who will be free agents next year. Which conveniently adds literally the only half decent key defender on your list as eligible.

You enter your prime at around 24. Counting anyone that age or older at the start of next year is so clearly biased and hilarious.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You're talking about guys who will be free agents next year. Which conveniently adds literally the only half decent key defender on your list as eligible.

You enter your prime at around 24. Counting anyone that age or older at the start of next year is so clearly biased and hilarious.

As an aside, I agree that 24 is about when you commence the peak of your powers, with a bell shaped curve reaching a peak at about 27 and then an equal decline of prime years until you’re 30. Consider the age of Brownlow winners

Patrick Cripps just won a Brownlow at 27

Ollie wines about to turn 27

Lachie Neale was 27

Danger was 26

Dane swan 27

Jobe Watson initially

Dusty 27

Then you have outliers like Fyfe and Bartel that win at age 24 and others that win around age 30 like Mitchell.

I guess the point is that normally a 24 year old has lots if improvement in them. Or at least the really good players do.

Being born in September is also a positive sign for a good player.

Back