Opinion Which team should Daniel Talia go to?

xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Richmond and Collingwood.
At his best he can shutdown the best key forwards in the league and he's only 30 so he has about 2-3 years of football left. There's been reports that he's got over his foot injury and is ready to go in 2022. Still no signs of interests from clubs at the time of this post hence why I'm making this post.

He could be taken with a low pick or rookied playing on a low wage.

Adelaide: The team who delisted him.
- Will he stay or resign there?: Well they pretty much delisted him and unless they miraculously do a 180 and re rookie him then NO CHANCE at all.

Brisbane Lions: He would be an upgrade on both Adams and Gardiner. Talia and Andrews in the backline would be devastating and makes it much harder for oppo KPFs to score on them.
- Will he go there?: Would personally like him to go there considering Adams injury issues. I doubt he would want to go to QLD though unless he's happy for a fresh start interstate that's not VIC and wants to contend for the flag.

Carlton: They already have gun KPDs in Jones and Weitering the latter being an AA contender. He'd allow Jones to play the third tall intercepting role like Lever does for the Dees. I do think Jones operates best as an interceptor. A Weitering, Jones and Talia backline would be unstoppable combined with some good runners (Make sure Zac Williams goes back to HBF where he operates best and why they have him a lot of money to join the Blues).
- Will he go there?: Doubt it as well considering the amount of money the Blues spent on players, overpaying them in some cases. He'd have to take a huge pay cut for him to fit into the cap and probably trade or delist a player they have.

Collingwood: They just recruited Kruger and Darcy Cameron is the mainstay up forward. Moore operates best down back where he's AA calibre CHB. Roughead is very solid, probably neither an upgrade or downgrade on Roughead.
- Will he go there?: No, I don't think they'll play Moore forward and they've just recruited some KPFs.

Essendon: Hurley's availability for 2022 is unknown and Laverde and Stewart have been pretty good this year. Talia would provide experience and would immediately take the best forward probably Laverde can play an interceptor role although they have other young KPDs who want their chance.
- Will he go there?: Essendon had interest in him last time but he ultimately stayed at the Crows. Would be a possibility if they're interested again especially if Hurley is confirmed to miss out on 2022.

Fremantle: They have an B.Cox, AA calibre Pearce, Logue and injury prone Hamling.
- Will he go there?: I don't think he would want to go to WA. Besides they're happy with the KPDs they got despite some of them being injury prone.

Geelong: Plenty of KPDs in the same 22 such as Blicavs, Henderson, Kolodjashnij, Stewart and Henry. Although if he would push Henderson out the door.
- Will he come?: If the Cats rate him higher than Henderson and they feel his cooked then there's a good chance he would come to the Cats. He probably an upgrade on Henderson.

Gold Coast Suns: Currently they have Collins and Ballard. Would be useful down back providing experience.
- Will he go there?: Unlikely, I don't think he would want to go to QLD and I don't think he wants to be playing for a side that doesn't play finals.

GWS: They got Davis who's injury prone at this stage of his career, Sam Taylor who they see as their future and Nick Haynes as the perfect interceptor. Would probably be Davis's replacement.
- Will he go there?: I doubt he'd want to go to NSW but would be a good Davis replacement in that backline.

Hawthorn: They have his ex Adelaide teammate Hartigan, Frost and Garinger-Barrass developing. Probably would be an upgrade on Frost and a safer ball user too. Takes the best key forward already.
- Will he go there?: If they're interested in him, would be best 22 for the Hawks probably getting Frost to play a rebounding role (hopefully the Frost ball misuse is gone but I doubt it).

Melbourne: They have two AA players in May and Lever and Petty has been really good since Tomlinson went down with an ACL. Would be an upgrade on both Petty and Tomlinson.
- Will he go there?: Unlikely, Petty has been really good and Tomlinson will be back next year. The only way he comes is if they want him ahead of Petty but it would hamper Petty's development if Talia comes and takes his spot so I don't think it would be a wise move getting him to the Dees.

North Melbourne: Tarrant has left for Richmond via free agency and they currently have B.McKay who will be an AA KPD soon and Walker. He would be a perfect replacement for Tarrant should they play three KPDs and would take the gorilla forward.
- Will he go there?: If North show interest in him and he's happy to go then yeah.

Port Adelaide: They have Clurey, Alir, Jonas and McKenzie. Could fit in the same side as Clurey/McKenzie, Jonas and Alir if Jonas plays smaller and he would make the backline even stronger than it already is.
- Will he go there?: Possibly, Kane Cornes suggests it and I do think he's be great at Port. Rarely does Port and the Crows trade with each other though.

Richmond: They have a potential AA KPD in Balta, Tarrant has come over to replace the retired Astbury, Grimes who's a gun and Broad. Not sure who he displaces as he's too slow to play on those fast medium sized forwards that Broad and Grimes can play on and Balta and Tarrant would take the bigger KPFs. Ben Miller is also developing as well.
- Will he go there?: Too many KPDs already.

St Kilda: James Frawley, Jake Carlisle and Dylan Roberton has retired. They still have Howard and Wilkie who's best suited as a third tall. Talia would be perfect for them and he would take the best forward and give them experience down back.
- Will he go there?: Most likely out of all the other teams considering the Saints need experienced KPDs.

Sydney Swans: Currently they have Rampe and McCartin. Would take the best forward and allow Rampe more freedom.
- Will he go there?: Don't think he would want to go to NSW but a possiblity if they're interested in an experienced KPD.

West Coast: Currently we have McGovern, Barrass, H.Edwards and Rotham. Gov's hip maybe really bad like Hurley's which may force him to sit out the 2022 season and Rotham is best suited as a rebounder and playing on smaller fast KPFs or medium forwards. If Gov is out then he'd be perfect, allowing Barrass to play the Gov role.
- Will he go there? I doubt he wants to go to WA but we may show interest in him if Gov's injury is bad.

Western Bulldogs: He would be perfect for them, an upgrade on both Cordy and Gardiner but they have O.Brian from the Hawks who's likely gonna be a second tall. He would allow Keith to play more as an interceptor where he operates best and would take the best forward.
- Will he go there?: No way with the bad blood his brother and the club has, I don't think they want each other.

Could see him back at South Adelaide with Sam Skinner set to be redrafted.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
We'd probably like him at St Kilda if he was free. Injury concern would be the only thing that would stop us.

Dec 24, 2008
Luxembourg
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
NEC Nijmegen, Sunderland
Bloke is done. Adelaide know this and I think he knows this.
Some players hit the wall at 28 or 29. Some 32 or 33. He should stay involved by looking to be a defence coach or something. Just not at the Bulldogs who might be concerned about leaking game plans!

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Some players hit the wall at 28 or 29. Some 32 or 33. He should stay involved by looking to be a defence coach or something. Just not at the Bulldogs who might be concerned about leaking game plans!
Reckon we should give him 3 years but if he’s not up to it anymore then obviously the last 2 as an assistant coach

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I'm not sure he knows this based on the way he reacted to being delisted. He felt hard done by, enough that he didn't attend the BnF.

Dec 24, 2008
Luxembourg
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
NEC Nijmegen, Sunderland
I'm not sure he knows this based on the way he reacted to being delisted. He felt hard done by, enough that he didn't attend the BnF.
So that begs the question why would the Crows delist him if he is finally injury free or they believe they can they can get a couple more years out of him?
Clubs don't generally delist good players unless money/salary cap space is the issue?

Private Hudson

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I may be completely wrong but I swear I read that he has outside business interests and doesn’t really want to leave SA.

So that begs the question why would the Crows delist him if he is finally injury free or they believe they can they can get a couple more years out of him?
Clubs don't generally delist good players unless money/salary cap space is the issue?

Probably a mixture of his body, us having a fair bit of urgency in getting rid of everyone involved in that 2015-2019 side, and us having some intriguing KPD prospects at the moment.

One of those sliding doors moments where I do wonder if we'd be here if he was healthy in 2021.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
At his best he can shutdown the best key forwards in the league and he's only 30 so he has about 2-3 years of football left. There's been reports that he's got over his foot injury and is ready to go in 2022. Still no signs of interests from clubs at the time of this post hence why I'm making this post.

He could be taken with a low pick or rookied playing on a low wage.

Adelaide: The team who delisted him.
- Will he stay or resign there?: Well they pretty much delisted him and unless they miraculously do a 180 and re rookie him then NO CHANCE at all.

Brisbane Lions: He would be an upgrade on both Adams and Gardiner. Talia and Andrews in the backline would be devastating and makes it much harder for oppo KPFs to score on them.
- Will he go there?: Would personally like him to go there considering Adams injury issues. I doubt he would want to go to QLD though unless he's happy for a fresh start interstate that's not VIC and wants to contend for the flag.

Carlton: They already have gun KPDs in Jones and Weitering the latter being an AA contender. He'd allow Jones to play the third tall intercepting role like Lever does for the Dees. I do think Jones operates best as an interceptor. A Weitering, Jones and Talia backline would be unstoppable combined with some good runners (Make sure Zac Williams goes back to HBF where he operates best and why they have him a lot of money to join the Blues).
- Will he go there?: Doubt it as well considering the amount of money the Blues spent on players, overpaying them in some cases. He'd have to take a huge pay cut for him to fit into the cap and probably trade or delist a player they have.

Collingwood: They just recruited Kruger and Darcy Cameron is the mainstay up forward. Moore operates best down back where he's AA calibre CHB. Roughead is very solid, probably neither an upgrade or downgrade on Roughead.
- Will he go there?: No, I don't think they'll play Moore forward and they've just recruited some KPFs.

Essendon: Hurley's availability for 2022 is unknown and Laverde and Stewart have been pretty good this year. Talia would provide experience and would immediately take the best forward probably Laverde can play an interceptor role although they have other young KPDs who want their chance.
- Will he go there?: Essendon had interest in him last time but he ultimately stayed at the Crows. Would be a possibility if they're interested again especially if Hurley is confirmed to miss out on 2022.

Fremantle: They have an B.Cox, AA calibre Pearce, Logue and injury prone Hamling.
- Will he go there?: I don't think he would want to go to WA. Besides they're happy with the KPDs they got despite some of them being injury prone.

Geelong: Plenty of KPDs in the same 22 such as Blicavs, Henderson, Kolodjashnij, Stewart and Henry. Although if he would push Henderson out the door.
- Will he come?: If the Cats rate him higher than Henderson and they feel his cooked then there's a good chance he would come to the Cats. He probably an upgrade on Henderson.

Gold Coast Suns: Currently they have Collins and Ballard. Would be useful down back providing experience.
- Will he go there?: Unlikely, I don't think he would want to go to QLD and I don't think he wants to be playing for a side that doesn't play finals.

GWS: They got Davis who's injury prone at this stage of his career, Sam Taylor who they see as their future and Nick Haynes as the perfect interceptor. Would probably be Davis's replacement.
- Will he go there?: I doubt he'd want to go to NSW but would be a good Davis replacement in that backline.

Hawthorn: They have his ex Adelaide teammate Hartigan, Frost and Garinger-Barrass developing. Probably would be an upgrade on Frost and a safer ball user too. Takes the best key forward already.
- Will he go there?: If they're interested in him, would be best 22 for the Hawks probably getting Frost to play a rebounding role (hopefully the Frost ball misuse is gone but I doubt it).

Melbourne: They have two AA players in May and Lever and Petty has been really good since Tomlinson went down with an ACL. Would be an upgrade on both Petty and Tomlinson.
- Will he go there?: Unlikely, Petty has been really good and Tomlinson will be back next year. The only way he comes is if they want him ahead of Petty but it would hamper Petty's development if Talia comes and takes his spot so I don't think it would be a wise move getting him to the Dees.

North Melbourne: Tarrant has left for Richmond via free agency and they currently have B.McKay who will be an AA KPD soon and Walker. He would be a perfect replacement for Tarrant should they play three KPDs and would take the gorilla forward.
- Will he go there?: If North show interest in him and he's happy to go then yeah.

Port Adelaide: They have Clurey, Alir, Jonas and McKenzie. Could fit in the same side as Clurey/McKenzie, Jonas and Alir if Jonas plays smaller and he would make the backline even stronger than it already is.
- Will he go there?: Possibly, Kane Cornes suggests it and I do think he's be great at Port. Rarely does Port and the Crows trade with each other though.

Richmond: They have a potential AA KPD in Balta, Tarrant has come over to replace the retired Astbury, Grimes who's a gun and Broad. Not sure who he displaces as he's too slow to play on those fast medium sized forwards that Broad and Grimes can play on and Balta and Tarrant would take the bigger KPFs. Ben Miller is also developing as well.
- Will he go there?: Too many KPDs already.

St Kilda: James Frawley, Jake Carlisle and Dylan Roberton has retired. They still have Howard and Wilkie who's best suited as a third tall. Talia would be perfect for them and he would take the best forward and give them experience down back.
- Will he go there?: Most likely out of all the other teams considering the Saints need experienced KPDs.

Sydney Swans: Currently they have Rampe and McCartin. Would take the best forward and allow Rampe more freedom.
- Will he go there?: Don't think he would want to go to NSW but a possiblity if they're interested in an experienced KPD.

West Coast: Currently we have McGovern, Barrass, H.Edwards and Rotham. Gov's hip maybe really bad like Hurley's which may force him to sit out the 2022 season and Rotham is best suited as a rebounder and playing on smaller fast KPFs or medium forwards. If Gov is out then he'd be perfect, allowing Barrass to play the Gov role.
- Will he go there? I doubt he wants to go to WA but we may show interest in him if Gov's injury is bad.

Western Bulldogs: He would be perfect for them, an upgrade on both Cordy and Gardiner but they have O.Brian from the Hawks who's likely gonna be a second tall. He would allow Keith to play more as an interceptor where he operates best and would take the best forward.
- Will he go there?: No way with the bad blood his brother and the club has, I don't think they want each other.
He'd be a Geelong youth squad player.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
St Kilda and Sydney probably make the most sense. I do wonder if he could play half a season in the state leagues and get his value up and be a midseason draft candidate.

Unbelievable stopper at his best but he never got a lot of intercepts. The game was moving away from him anyway.

Collingwood sorely need backup for Roughead as wasting Maynard on Franklins and Cameron’s of the world demonstrated last year.

That said, it probably needs to be in an age demographic five years younger otherwise it’ll just be another revolving door once Roughead departs (and has been ever since we lost N Brown to free agency)

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I think we have our answer to this now. Talia's injury concerns are way worse than first thought. As you suggested, he was a good player so there's no way Adelaide would have cut him loose in the first place if his body was injury free. What first looked like brutal list management has revealed itself to be a pretty regulation decision.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeah he is done.

Daniel Talia would of suited Essendon I think. Him fully fit would of helped them win a final

Back