Which team underachieved the most in the modern era?

Which of these teams was the biggest underachiever during those years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

99 was thrown away, 01 debateable. Stk had 2 sitting there waiting for them, fair effort to throw those two away. 2000 was probably the greatest one off season of all time.
Greatest one off season of all time against mediocre opposition. I still don't see how people from your mob keep on claiming it is the goat when three teams in the last 15 years have won three flags or more with their core group of players.

Greatest one off season of all time against mediocre opposition. I still don't see how people from your mob keep on claiming it is the goat when three teams in the last 15 years have won three flags or more with their core group of players.
One off season,one off. That briz team had us covered comfortably.

Ty for contributing to my point, winning 3 premierships in a window has become the norm, for the supposedly goat team to only win one has to be the biggest underachievement in AFL history.
He meant the 'if they had of come up against anyone half decent' bit well how about North? Opps. 120 point grand final slaughter. What about Carlton? Oh yea, 40 point victory. How about the other top 4 team, Melbourne? Right, 10 goal win. Anyone else that year? Right, crushed them all with our best side. We would of beaten anyone with our 2000 gf team.

I reckon that Essendon team was pretty good. Should have won two, arguably three in a row. St Kilda probably should have won one too. They were nigh on unstoppable in 2009.

I don't think the Dogs should really be in this. Yes they made three straight Prelims, however each year they were a rung below the top two sides. They not only lost all three of their Prelims, they also lost each Qualifying Final they played, showing they just couldn't match it with the top two sides. Also they finished 4th in 2010, not 3rd.

For mine, it has to be St Kilda. Had a huge amount of top end talent, made it to the big dance but then their bottom half a dozen players let them down. I think what adds weight to this is just how close they went, up at 3QT in 2009 and a bounce away from snagging the drawn GF in 2010. This shows just how hard it is to win premierships, so any team that walked away with one can't have underperformed as much as those who came away empty handed.

Yep. 3rd three times, 3 prelims.

I reckon that Essendon team was pretty good. Should have won two, arguably three in a row. St Kilda probably should have won one too. They were nigh on unstoppable in 2009.
Not sure I agree. I think we still would've won 2000 if we'd won 99 but don't think the dominance would've been as great as it was. 2001 with a fitter team would've been a better contest.

Port dun stuffed up bad

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does the 2013-15 Swans escape criticism?
'13 4th PF
'14 1st GF (Favorites)
'15 4th SF
They were faviouries in one grand final and won one grand final. They met or exceeded expectations.

They were faviouries in one grand final and won one grand final. They met or exceeded expectations.

What? Read much?

Also the Bombers and Eagles won a premiership during the periods you have chosen, Sydney didnt in the period i chose. Why are they less deserving than the Eagles or Dons?

Last edited:
Saints will look back on the Reiwoldt era and kick themselves that they couldn't capitalise on having one of the game's greatest CHF's(as well as one of the best small forwards in Milne), when they had some many other classy and capable players along side him.

Why does the 2013-15 Swans escape criticism?
'13 4th PF
'14 1st GF (Favorites)
'15 4th SF

Hawthorn were around

Plus we won 12
The 13 side was injury hit

14 was abysmal collapse though so I agree there

Essendon, closely followed by St Kilda. Essendon were a machine, they were tough but quick and had both ends covered by very good players, and a champion in Lloyd. They should have been in the conversation with Geelong and Hawthorn as the best of the modern era, but only won one flag. St Kilda is hard to get a read on, a fair few guns, the onus is on Ross the boss there.

Back