Which team was the most disappointing round1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of young Sainters were tryna get a spot in the team, and playing for a new coach. Freo should definitely be kicking themselves though.

I reckon the Lions were the most pathetic. With Gunston, Rising Star Winner Ashcroft, and Josh Dunkley coming into the team, Fagan under pressure for being racist, and an ignominious exit from finals, they shoulda come out FIRING but that was by far the weakest performance I saw. They looked disinterested and lazy.

Dogs surprised me. I probably shouldn't be surprised to see that pathetic soft underbelly again; but with Dees missing four of their best, they shoulda smelled blood and gone in for the kill. But instead they just literally gave up when it got hard. Again.

Carlton also sucked massive amounts of arse, no surprises there though.

Lots of young Sainters were tryna get a spot in the team, and playing for a new coach. Freo should definitely be kicking themselves though.

I reckon the Lions were the most pathetic. With Gunston, Rising Star Winner Ashcroft, and Josh Dunkley coming into the team, Fagan under pressure for being racist, and an ignominious exit from finals, they shoulda come out FIRING but that was by far the weakest performance I saw. They looked disinterested and lazy.

Dogs surprised me. I probably shouldn't be surprised to see that pathetic soft underbelly again; but with Dees missing four of their best, they shoulda smelled blood and gone in for the kill. But instead they just literally gave up when it got hard. Again.

Carlton also sucked massive amounts of arse, no surprises there though.
Don’t forget McKenna as well. We had 4 guys playing who walked straight into our best 22. Dunkley and McKenna were amongst our best. Outside of Rayner and maybe one or two others everyone else shat the bed.

Shouldn't even be a thread. It's Brisbane by a large amount. Arrogant, crap performance that reeked of the same issues that have plagued us for a while now.

Port are not a bad side, they're a good coach away from being a Top 4 team and will touch up a few teams over there but that second half was seriously concerning for a side many tipped to be there abouts in September.

If the Lions have a down year this year, Fagan (and the assistant coaches) have to go.

Mix of Brisbane, Adelaide and Freo.

Brisbane the most fancied, but also playing a team CAPABLE of challenging.

Adelaide singing from the rafters in the preseason, smashed by GWS depleted midfield, again.

Freo, well, nuff said.

All 3 would be upset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane

Daylight

More daylight

More daylight

All the other teams that lost except Hawthorn who are clearly trying to be bad.

Dogs getting off lightly here. That was pretty much their best 22 (missing Weightman?), had the forward line to stretch the Dees without May, and lost by 9 goals in perfect conditions.

Their backline was horrendous. Literally holes everywhere and not the kind of desperation you would expect from a team ultimately wanting to play finals.

Gold Coast. Every other team that lost by a decent margin/had a bad result could at least point out fragments in the game where they were on top/playing reasonably well and winning looked possible or probable. Gold Coast were smacked from start to finish. 5 years into a rebuild you’d expect better.

It’s really difficult to split Freo & Brisbane, but if you had to pick one then it’s the side who is expected to make the 8 but lost to a Saints outfit currently running on VFL fumes.

Gold Coast. Matt Rowell deserves better.

Honestly there were some pretty average performances.

Brisbane - Was a shellacking. Had a dream run with the umps until half time and we were inaccurate. Losing by 10 goals is significant for a team with premiership aspirations.

Bulldogs - where are they at? Are they any good, have they ever been. Enough has been said about 2016, but suffice to say they were not among the best 2-3 years all year. 2021. Got unlucky with injury late but came against 2 of the worst finals sides in Essendon/Brisbane, had us not front up for some reason and then played only a half of football in the GF. Every other year, they've basically been disappointing. They always seem to be around the mark, but then you look at some of the guys getting games and think 'he wouldn't get a game for us'. Looks like another boring 6-12 season for them.

Adelaide - have a love hate relationship. Know people who are supporters (including my father) that are perfectly reasonable but gee they have a higher % of *******s among their supporter base. Has English cricket side vibes where they would talk about winning and how good they were leading up to an Aus tour only to get ****ed 5-0. They haven't hit Richmond/Carlton/Melbourne (when they were at their worst) levels of lols yet, but if they don't improve in the next 12-18 months, its a full generation of being spuds for mine. I reckon they have 6-8 genuinely good AFL footballers, maybe 4 or so decent ones, then a bunch of guys that should be playing VFL that Carlton used to wheel out. I can't even remember the prick's names because they're not worth remembering.

Freo - were poor. Has vibes of every Freo team that came before them. Doesn't matter how good their side is they can't create a functioning forward line to save their lives. You stay away from our Mitch or I'll cut your privates!

As this is inevitably going to backfire when Collingwood flog us next week, a general reminder that most of you didn't have us making finals (some were trying bottom 4) so a 6-8 finish is overperforming by your own standards. So jog on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back