Which team was the most disappointing round1?

The Educator

All Australian
Jan 23, 2023
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don’t forget McKenna as well. We had 4 guys playing who walked straight into our best 22. Dunkley and McKenna were amongst our best. Outside of Rayner and maybe one or two others everyone else shat the bed.

To be fair, could be a factor in failure to click

Also it is always hard first round to reference form. Port Adelaide may well turn out to be a contender this year.

The Educator

All Australian
Jan 23, 2023
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If we are going to knock the ball around the back 4 like a Serie A team trying to draw out the opposition for the rest of the year than it’s us.

Yeah it's looking like Freo are almost the lone wolf left playing the defensive possession style game

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
Has to be Brisbane, considering their additions over the off season. Yeah Port are still a decent team but the way Brisbane just rolled over was quite embarrassing

I had them flag favourites but not sure right now.

Freo, West Coast, Adelaide and both Richmond and Carlton are contenders.

buuut surely Geelong and Brisbane share the spoils here.

Brisbane recruited top talent very heavily and got pantsed. The reigning premiers being in the box seat only to ship eight unanswered goals in the last quarter.

Reximilian

Debutant
Mar 10, 2022
AFL Club
Essendon
7 of the 8 losing clubs were disappointing this week. Geelong the exception because a round 1 loss doesn’t mean anything just after a premiership and the game was close anyhow. A bit biased but Hawthorn is the only club I wouldn’t want to be supporting if their today continues for the rest of the year.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brisbane for sure, a forgetful start to the season for them. Adelaide's 2nd half meltdown, got destroyed by Toby Greene and the Giants, it was just a horrible second half effort by Adelaide but hopefully they just put it behind themselves ASAP. All the other games went as expected.

7 of the 8 losing clubs were disappointing this week. Geelong the exception because a round 1 loss doesn’t mean anything just after a premiership and the game was close anyhow. A bit biased but Hawthorn is the only club I wouldn’t want to be supporting if their today continues for the rest of the year.
.. what?

Geelong are the most disappointing (with brisbane). They conceded 8 on the trot to give up a 20 odd point lead.

Reximilian

Debutant
Mar 10, 2022
AFL Club
Essendon
.. what?

Geelong are the most disappointing (with brisbane). They conceded 8 on the trot to give up a 20 odd point lead.
Not great, but my point was more that in the early rounds it doesn’t matter to Geelong. Premierships aren’t won or even lost in March.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Gold Coast. Matt Rowell deserves better.
If anyone in that side deserves some success, it's Miller. And probably Swallow given he's been there from the start. But Miller would walk into 17 other clubs.

I know no one expects much of us this year anyway, but we're getting off lightly ITT after what we served up today.
One game closer to Harley Reid.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Freo.

I had them in my top 4 all preseason. How did they lose to a Saints side battling injuries.

Lions were bad as well

Fremantle were an Abomination this round.

Only reason why Freo lost to the saints is because they thought they could rock up and get the win.

Also helps having Ross Lyon as a coach.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Probably the reigning premiers losing to a team that will struggle to make finals

Mate we lost by 22 points after losing more than half our backline prior/during the match, to the Prelim Finalists who lost by a point to the eventual Grand Finalists.

We were missing Duncan, Kolo, J. Henry, Menegola, Bowes. We had Hawkins who was way underdone, Stewart who was injured in the first quarter, SDK who was injured not long after, and Stengle who was on 1 leg after being poleaxed by Howe. We still led for most of the match.

You guys on the other hand, lost by 9 goals after adding the best young kid in the country in Ashcroft, a beast inside mid in Dunkley, a gun forward in Gunston and speed off half back in McKenna. Your vaunted midfield of Neale, Dunkley, Bailey, Berry, McLuggage, got absolutely destroyed by 3 kids in JHF, Rozee and Butters. I don't think you want to be pointing fingers after a display like that.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Mate we lost by 22 points after losing more than half our backline prior/during the match, to the Prelim Finalists who lost by a point to the eventual Grand Finalists.

We were missing Duncan, Kolo, J. Henry, Menegola, Bowes. We had Hawkins who was way underdone, Stewart who was injured in the first quarter, SDK who was injured not long after, and Stengle who was on 1 leg after being poleaxed by Howe. We still led for most of the match.

You guys on the other hand, lost by 9 goals after adding the best young kid in the country in Ashcroft, a beast inside mid in Dunkley, a gun forward in Gunston and speed off half back in McKenna. Your vaunted midfield of Neale, Dunkley, Bailey, Berry, McLuggage, got absolutely destroyed by 3 kids in JHF, Rozee and Butters. I don't think you want to be pointing fingers after a display like that.
A Geelong fan started the thread though so it’s clearly you.

8. Unanswered. Goals.

Cmon mate.

OxfordCambridge

Debutant
Nov 11, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Out of few games I saw…

Crows were a rabble in the second half. Playing against basically Toby Greene.

Stevie needs to be copping a blowtorch. Constant excuses and setting low bars to drag his big contract out. Heart isn’t in it. Compare to the energy of Kingsley firing his troops up on the bench. Bring in Scott Burns.

Also Rankine dancing after kicking a goal in the second quarter was staggering. The rot started then.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Freo for me. Losing at home to that Saints lineup is the biggest upset of the week, not a good look to start a supposed window season, although far from alarm bells.

I'm not reading much into that away Lions loss just yet. Some casuals down south might've been overhyping them a bit or something or prepping their Hinkley headlines and therefore are overreacting and correcting right now. Bad day at the office when the game was on but unfazed me, they'll bounce back as they do.

i.e. R1 is always too early, and there wasn't really a result of significant ramifications to the overall season forecast just yet. A lot of the sides were tactically slanted towards their particular opponent, lot of sides gelling the youth, trades, returns from lti and line-up switches. A few of the games like the Kangas & Giants were played in unusually warm conditions (enabling unusual momentum swings) which took a toll (and might roll over into next week). Few new coaches. It was a fun R1, but lets not analyse it to death.

EDIT: I was wrong about Freo playing at home, no games in WA this week

Last edited:

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
The Crows by a mile. that was a disgrace what we dished up. 5 goals up and lose like that was embarrassing. poor kicking is poor footy. very mentally weak side. looking at our fixture i expect us to be 0-5. i have to change my predictions on us... i though we would be up and around that 10 win mark--10th/11th but no, we still a bottom 5 side. Nicks in big trouble at the end of the year. nothing has changed

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Bulldogs.
Your list is very mature and coach is the same so clearly you have to be have a serious tilt at the premiership and you playing the team you lead in grand final by 19 points two years back.
That team beat you then and they put you away just as easy two years later so looks like you further away from the flag with list older profile and the same coach for players to listen to. That is not a fun position to be in after round one mentally.

Back