Which team was the most disappointing round1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle = I had them outside my top 8 for 2023.
And right fully so with the dockers fixtures of their double ups of Eagles, hawks, cats, swans, dogs and Brisbane.

Hawks and Eagles twice are bottom 4 or 6 sides.

Cats and Swans made the 2022 grand final. Dogs and Brisbane probably make the 8.

I predicted dockers to finish anywhere between 5th to 12th, most likely 7th to 10th.

Geez there were a few. Round 1, but some disappointing performances.

Carlton not holding on in a big game yet again.

Freo losing to an injury riddled mid side.

Lions getting stomped in the 2nd half.

Dogs not firing a shot against a team missing 4 of their best

Crows dishing up the same rubbish.

Suns being the Suns.

WCE solidifying that last year wasn't just an Anomaly.

Hawks getting flogged by a widely tipped bottom 4 club.

Hard one this week. I'd go with Suns at home. Terrible.

So how will you go against a team having Clarko as a coach?
After the round 1 shock loss to the saints. I am not confident.

Sure Justin Longmuir has a 3-0 record over the hawks. But the hawks in 2020-21 were far from the 2012-15 grand final sides. They were in tatters and rebuilding.

I remember the last time North Melbourne beat the dockers in WA. That was in 2018. Jared Waite (when fully fit) and Ben Brown were the talls up forward.

Nick Larkey was dangerous on the weekend.

I am half tempted to throw $50 on North to be honest.

The Saints beat Freo over in the west early last year with Ratten.

They've been reasonably well coached and they have a deep list that can handle injuries (because they always have injuries so they recruit for depth and train up a lot of players).

It's not a surprise at all to see them do a defensive job on Freo's forward line. The Wilkie, Howard, Battle trio are underrated.

And it's not a surprise that the Saints mids went head to head with Freo. The talent isn't dissimilar.

The surprise was the Saints managed to break it open up forward in the last but when a game is one big rock fight in round 1 the home team have the advantage the longer it goes.

Well thats the weird thing.

Saints beat Freo in Perth in Round 2. Saints were not great that day. Both teams were bad, it was just freo were worse. That shock loss strangely gave freo a kick up the bum and freo won the next 6.

Yet in the rematch at docklands, Fremantle won by 40 points.

After the round 1 shock loss to the saints. I am not confident.

Sure Justin Longmuir has a 3-0 record over the hawks. But the hawks in 2020-21 were far from the 2012-15 grand final sides. They were in tatters and rebuilding.

I remember the last time North Melbourne beat the dockers in WA. That was in 2018. Jared Waite (when fully fit) and Ben Brown were the talls up forward.

Nick Larkey was dangerous on the weekend.

I am half tempted to throw $50 on North to be honest.
Freo should win comfortably at home. We almost gave up a 6 goal lead to the team that finished 17th last year.

Outside of Rayner and maybe one or two others everyone else shat the bed.
I only saw the second half but I didn’t notice Rayner at all, I thought he’d spend more time in the middle tbh.

Zac Bailey is a huge disappointment for me, still young I guess, but I don’t think he’s hitting anywhere near his potential.

Which players were North missing? WC were missing 2 former AA players in Naitanui and Yeo. Had Naitanui played that likely would've been the difference as Williams and Jamieson are both horrible players

I think the best 22 fully fit and available would feature McKay, Thomas, Wardlaw, Hall - potentially Tucker also.

It would have been nice not to lose the only ruckman in the first quarter also, so throw Goldstein in.

I think that’s what a best 22 would look like in a month injuries permitting.

Sheezel and Thomas both off half back is an interesting prospect in a month or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone mentioned channel 7 commentary team? Cast of thousands too. We deserve better

Just think about whoever is their 'list manager'.

If they need to cut 50% of their people, do you really trust that person to cull the right 50%?

I only saw the second half but I didn’t notice Rayner at all, I thought he’d spend more time in the middle tbh.

Zac Bailey is a huge disappointment for me, still young I guess, but I don’t think he’s hitting anywhere near his potential.
I think he is best as a small forward who can spend some time on a wing. I don’t see him as an inside mid.

Natanui lol

Hasn't played a decent game since Tony Abbott was PM
If you ignore his AA seasons in 2020 and 2021, I suppose.

And right fully so with the dockers fixtures of their double ups of Eagles, hawks, cats, swans, dogs and Brisbane.

Hawks and Eagles twice are bottom 4 or 6 sides.

Cats and Swans made the 2022 grand final. Dogs and Brisbane probably make the 8.

I predicted dockers to finish anywhere between 5th to 12th, most likely 7th to 10th.
This seems negative. Finished fifth last year, missing out on top four by the narrowest of margins, bunch of young mids that should keep improving, added Luke Jackson... I would expect another challenge for the top four. Double-ups with Eagles and Hawks is 16 points in the bank, should be able to knock off Dogs and Swans at home, Cats could be sliders too, we'll see.

Gold Coast. Every other team that lost by a decent margin/had a bad result could at least point out fragments in the game where they were on top/playing reasonably well and winning looked possible or probable. Gold Coast were smacked from start to finish. 5 years into a rebuild you’d expect better.
And they're one of our bogey teams.

What game were you watching Richmond dominated in most areas but we just couldn't finish off, 4 set shots kicked out on the full, even the Carlton coach knew it was a Richmond game, although Richmond were lucky to get the draw in the end we should have been well ahead
Media all believed Carlton were the better side but stats prove otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back