Which team was the most disappointing round1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton.

Controlled the game but typically blew it again in the last 2 minutes, dropping uncontested marks and standing back off the mark to gift the opposition extra yardage.

Learnt nothing over summer.

I'd say they controlled it for a half but didn't capitalise on their chances. Richmond absolutely monstered them in the 3rd and then had several opportunities to claim the win in the last. Both teams just shat the bed in the last in a scrap heap.

I'd say they controlled it for a half but didn't capitalise on their chances. Richmond absolutely monstered them in the 3rd and then had several opportunities to claim the win in the last. Both teams just shat the bed in the last in a scrap heap.
We turn every game into a scrapheap. I wouldn't be flat at all if I were a Blues supporter.

I wouldn't be too down on Bulldogs either. I think Melbourne are running on top of the ground at the moment and are probably the team to beat.

Freo were disappointing. Not just by losing to an undermanned St Kilda, but doing so against Ross.

Lions were just not hungry. Port were persistent and showed that effort sustained over a longer period will prevail.

The Dogs were just deflating. A lot of hype for the new forward setup, coming up against a team missing 4 of its best 22, and from about halfway through the second they were just pantsed. It'll take a few games for their forwards to find balance, but a team that has 8 of the top 10 disposal winners should not be getting smashed by 50 points.

The Suns were just nowhere near it. Sydney wanted to make a statement after a horrid GF performance, but the Suns didn't even give a yelp. Poor start to the year.

Crows , boiling day and 4 players up in rotations and couldn’t come over the top of GWS is pretty limp although the umps were giving the Giants a bit of help

Freo right up there with Lions

Buggered if I know what to do with Fyfe , we are paying 1.3 million this year for the 50th best fwd in the comp

Time to move on next year IMO but they never will , chained to the past as we always are

Last edited:
Gold Coast. Every other team that lost by a decent margin/had a bad result could at least point out fragments in the game where they were on top/playing reasonably well and winning looked possible or probable. Gold Coast were smacked from start to finish. 5 years into a rebuild you’d expect better.
I agree with this.

Most other losing teams had periods where they were in front/challenging hard, were depleted due to injuries (e.g. Geelong) or conditions (e.g. Adelaide), or perfectly well aware that they are rebuilding (e.g. Hawthorn).

Gold Coast don't fit into any of these categories, they were spanked from beginning to end with no 'excuses' or legitimate reasons for it.

Freo fans probably took the biggest hit to their expectations

Everyone has been saying we can’t score

Supporters having been saying ….. BULL****

35 i50’s in the 2nd half for 2 goals and 4 of 7 goals from some pretty soft frees

Guess everyone was right **** it all

JOM and Jackson were garbage and added nothing

I’ll be disappointed in Melbourne if they don’t mention Freo’s assistance on the GF podium if they win another flag or 2 in the next few years

Last edited:
Us,Carlton are ordinary,we had 67 x I50's for 8 goals,not gettng it done is a continuaiton from last year,1.2 mill in the pocket,900k FF and supposedly
the most exciting player in the comp and we dish up 8,FO,Melbourne will destroy us if we dish that garbage up FWD
1.2 mil wins evrything playing 80% mid,20% fwd,fri night was 100% fwd ? WTF

Last edited:
Bulldogs.
Your list is very mature and coach is the same so clearly you have to be have a serious tilt at the premiership and you playing the team you lead in grand final by 19 points two years back.
That team beat you then and they put you away just as easy two years later so looks like you further away from the flag with list older profile and the same coach for players to listen to. That is not a fun position to be in after round one mentally.

Dogs fan here and 100% agree with you.

Brisbane by far.

2 goals up at half time and lost by 54 points.

Add Dogs to that

Melbourne - No May, No Fritsch, No Viney, no problem

So many teams had a chance to make a statement and fluffed it.

Carlton - can they handle a tight game?

Bulldogs - great at beating up rubbish teams but how will they go against a good side?

Gold Coast - will they push into finals contention this year?

Brisbane - are they good enough to win the flag?

All four of them end up with the question mark remaining. Geelong had injuries, Adelaide are young, Hawthorn are young (and need a key forward pronto), Fremantle aren't as good as a lot of people think they are and West Coast are firmly in rebuild territory (or should be). Brisbane is my nomination as I had them for the flag this year - they need to strike now before their better players start to slide. Of course, they can still win it but there are a lot of issues they'll need to sort out over the coming weeks.

Crows , boiling day and 4 players up in rotations and couldn’t come over the top of GWS is pretty limp although the umps were giving the Giants a bit of help

Freo right up there with Lions

Buggered if I know what to do with Fyfe , we are paying 1.3 million this year for the 50th best fwd in the comp

Time to move on next year IMO but they never will , chained to the past as we always are
join the club,we are paying 1.2 mil for a fwd pocket catching a cold who won absolutely everything playing 80% mid now playing 100% FWD

Fremantle were an Abomination this round.

Only reason why Freo lost to the saints is because they thought they could rock up and get the win.

Also helps having Ross Lyon as a coach.
The Saints beat Freo over in the west early last year with Ratten.

They've been reasonably well coached and they have a deep list that can handle injuries (because they always have injuries so they recruit for depth and train up a lot of players).

It's not a surprise at all to see them do a defensive job on Freo's forward line. The Wilkie, Howard, Battle trio are underrated.

And it's not a surprise that the Saints mids went head to head with Freo. The talent isn't dissimilar.

The surprise was the Saints managed to break it open up forward in the last but when a game is one big rock fight in round 1 the home team have the advantage the longer it goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton/Richmond draw - Didn’t think either were particularly impressive, but neither should be worried.

Did find it peculiar that some said Carlton “won” the draw - given they finished last season with two close losses from winning positions, they also blew a chance for a win here.

Geelong - beaten by one of the few sides that actually troubled them last season. Wouldn’t be in the slightest bit concerned.

West Coast - Showed a little bit but also showed where they are at.

Brisbane - Along with the Bulldogs the biggest disappointment of the Round. Must respond.

Gold Coast - Somebody already said it, it’s the same story with them every year. Whilst the Swans are a good side, the Suns’ performance was appalling. They need to come under further heat.

Bulldogs - As mentioned, very disappointing. Melbourne are quality side but the manner of the loss - coaching, poor goal kicking, forward line set up, second half fade out - all not good enough.

Crows - Thought they were pretty good. disappointing to give up a lead, but very good signs. Also great fight and spirit shown in last quarter.

Hawks - They’re expected to be bad and they were. Long year ahead. Going through the most painful period of a rebuild.

Freo - They’d be disappointed. Not a disaster, but a match they’d have expected to win. Still confident on them for finala.

Shouldn't even be a thread. It's Brisbane by a large amount. Arrogant, crap performance that reeked of the same issues that have plagued us for a while now.

Port are not a bad side, they're a good coach away from being a Top 4 team and will touch up a few teams over there but that second half was seriously concerning for a side many tipped to be there abouts in September.

If the Lions have a down year this year, Fagan (and the assistant coaches) have to go.
Just on the value of coaches, I don't think it is a surprise at all that Essendon (Scott) St Kilda (Lyons) and North (Clarko) all had successful starts. These coaches will make a huge difference to all three of these teams.

Last edited:
Came here expecting to see the Eagles being hammered, losing to the wooden spooners of the past two years with key injuries, and looking like they weren't trying for at least two quarters. Yet we seem to be on about the fifth line. But agree with the consensus, Lions and Freo ahead of the pack, both would be targeting top four this year, both added talent, very disappointing first round for both.

Honestly bar possibly West Coast every side that lost had reason to feel deflated - and even they fell well behind in the game before coming back.

• Geelong - let a big lead slip, although can legitimately blame in-game injuries and were probably lucky to be so far ahead. Apart from West Coast will feel the least bad about their loss. But still, won’t want to concede 19 goals.
  • Brisbane - obvious one. Even during the second quarter they were more clinical than good, frankly that could’ve and arguably should’ve been a 10 goal loss. Despite so many big ins the problems that hurt them at times last year still appear unaddressed.
  • Western Bulldogs - similar case. I suppose they were more genuinely competitive with Melbourne than Brisbane were with Port, but still a 50 point loss given that Melbourne had May, Viney, Fritsch and Salem out (all of whom would probably be in their best 10 players) is alarming.
  • Gold Coast - at least the other unexpected beltings had the team getting belted play well for a period. Here it was a belting from the first bounce. Simply not good enough, especially against a team they’ve had the wood over.
  • Adelaide - on paper a 3 goal loss doesn’t seem bad, but they blew a massive lead and let GWS back in the game when they should’ve had them dead and buried.
  • Hawthorn - not much was expected but even so, a 10 goal loss to a Bottom 4 side last year is really alarming.
  • Fremantle - St Kilda was there for the taking given their injuries. Played really ugly and couldn’t get anything going.

Carlton.

Controlled the game but typically blew it again in the last 2 minutes, dropping uncontested marks and standing back off the mark to gift the opposition extra yardage.

Learnt nothing over summer.
I’m not convinced you watched the game if you think Carlton controlled it.

21 less inside 50s
18 less hit outs
4 less clearances
6 less marks inside 50

If that’s controlling a game I’d hate to see what it looks like when they’re out of control.

Honestly bar possibly West Coast every side that lost had reason to feel deflated
Why shouldn't they be too? They'd have thought it was a chance at a winnable game, something that they haven't had much of lately...

I’m not convinced you watched the game if you think Carlton controlled it.

21 less inside 50s
18 less hit outs
4 less clearances
6 less marks inside 50

If that’s controlling a game I’d hate to see what it looks like when they’re out of control.
That's true I didn't watch the game

But you won 3 quarters, must have done ok

And I did watch the last 2 minutes where YOU BLEW IT

That's true I didn't watch the game

But you won 3 quarters, must have done ok

And I did watch the last 2 minutes where YOU BLEW IT
I’ll continue even though you’re clearly a troll.

Fact is despite imo playing well below what we are capable of, if McKay doesn’t slip over and holds the mark Carlton win the game. Against a side who made the 8 last year and added 2 high profile recruits.

By no means should any Carlton fan be in rapturous excitement after that performance, but I think there are teams with far more pressing headaches after round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back