Which team's future (4 years) is looking the brightest?

Which team(s) has/have the best future

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

JRyan23

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Really interesting to see people's thoughts. Personally to chose 4 I would go with GWS, Melbourne, St Kilda and Gold Coast. Then Carlton

Average ages:
West Coast 24 years, 330 days
Greater Western Sydney 24y, 219d
Fremantle 24y, 207d
Hawthorn 24y, 184d
Essendon 24y, 102d
Geelong 24y, 18d
St Kilda 23y, 350d
Richmond 23y, 344d
Adelaide 23y, 340d
Western Bulldogs 23y, 322d
Collingwood 23y, 319d
Gold Coast 23y, 305d
Port Adelaide 23y, 286d
Carlton 23y, 299d
Sydney 23y, 265d
Melbourne 23y, 233d
North Melbourne 23y, 218d
Brisbane Lions 22y, 225d

Average Experience
West Coast 85 games
Hawthorn 79
Greater Western Sydney 76
Essendon 69
Fremantle 67
Collingwood 64
Port Adelaide 64
Western Bulldogs 64
Geelong 63
St Kilda 63
Richmond 62
Gold Coast 60
North Melbourne 59
Sydney 59
Melbourne 58
Adelaide 57
Carlton 53
Brisbane Lions 42

I reckon it's between us, GWS and Melbourne. The amount of gun players we will have in their prime by that time will be scary. We will probably have the best player in the comp in Bont, a gun key forward in Toyd entering his prime, Stringer who you'd think will be at his best putting together consistant performances, Libba in his prime, Dahlhaus in his prime, Macrae killing it, plus everyone else. You'd be silly to write us off.

From a one-eyed Pies supporter, I'm very big on Essendon's list. Merrett, Parish, Danher, McDonald-Tipungwuti, McGrath and Fantasia is an unbelievably good young core. Then there's Francis, Langford and Laverde who could be anything still. They're also not threatened by age and don't face key retirements in the next few years. They obviously have their deficiencies as does everyone else - I think they need a young inside mid ala Cripps/Wines type and I think they need pace off half-back, like Johannisen. If they drafted a mid and traded for Johannisen, they'd be set. Their three tall forward structure that began last week looks very effective also, Stewart looking decent and allows flexibility with where Hooker should be played. Their forward line is my favourite - it's just loaded with potential and could-be's.

What will Adelaide be losing in the medium term?

Betts, Jacobs and Jenkins?

They'll still have the Crouch bros, Sloane, Walker, Laird, Talia, Smith, Lever etc

No reason they shouldn't be able to keep that core and add some pieces.

No team can compete with the Giants realistically, crazy array of quality.

Doesn't guarantee anything.

The others are so marginal, perhaps Adelaide. Every team has serious doubts

I am bias but I really love the look of the side we are building, 2021 we could be scary good.;) We are a full year younger on average than the 2nd youngest team.

Building- All 21 years of age and under.
Hugh McCluggage
Jarrod Berry
Eric Hipwood
Josh Schache (if he stays:()
Ben Keays
Rhys Matheison
Harris Andrews
Darcy Gardner
Daniel McStay
Nick Robertson

Will have the number 1 pick this year as well as Ports 1st.

No team can compete with the Giants realistically, crazy array of quality.

Doesn't guarantee anything.

The others are so marginal, perhaps Adelaide. Every team has serious doubts

agree on face value the Giants win but they need to hold their players

expect a number of their stars will leave as contracts expire for two reasons;

go home factor
play in front of large crowds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

acknowledge my bias but this will be the core of our team;

Docherty
Plowman
Marchbank
Weitering
C.Curnow
Cripps
SPS
Silvagni
Williamson
Fisher
Macredie

H.McKay yet to play seniors but penciled in as the key forward

most of our best XVIII bar Simpson could still be playing ie Kreuzer , Murphy

Carlton's defence is going to be very good in the future. You're forward line is going to be suspect.....

1. GWS
2. Melbourne
3. Essendon
4. Western Bulldogs
5. St Kilda
6. Carlton
7. Brisbane
8. Adelaide
9. Collingwood
10. Gold Coast
11. Sydney
12. Fremantle
13. North Melbourne
14. Richmond
15. West Coast
16. Port Adelaide
17. Hawthorn
18. Geelong

Weight of numbers. There is no way their list is better than the dogs or melbourne's.

Keep going.

Players that won't be around in 4 years time:

Baguely
Bellchambers
Goddard
Hooker
Howlett
Kelly
Leuenbergaer
Myers
Stanton
Watson

Hurley & Zaharakis will be 31.

Carlton's defence is going to be very good in the future. You're forward line is going to be suspect.....

Agree , forward line is the unknown

H.McKay is pencilled in but the kid still has not played a Snr game

Rumours have Sicily coming to the Blues next year but not sure how good he is either ??

Weight of numbers. There is no way their list is better than the dogs or melbourne's.

Melbourne should have more votes here - I rate than higher than the dogs/bombers going forward and only behind GWS. It is true that there is no way the Bombers have a better list than the Dogs right now who just won a premiership. But our teams have the same amount of wins so far this season, and one more than Melbourne. And it is mostly our kids that are the match winners. I don't think it's that crazy that some neutrals would prefer the bombers list for the future. I am obviously biased but I think my top seven Bombers players (capped the age at 27) for the next four years are as good as any seven Bulldogs players: Daniher Merrett Hurley Fantasia Heppell Mcgrath Parish.

Melbourne should have more votes here - I rate than higher than the dogs/bombers going forward and only behind GWS. It is true that there is no way the Bombers have a better list than the Dogs right now who just won a premiership. But our teams have the same amount of wins so far this season, and one more than Melbourne. And it is mostly our kids that are the match winners. I don't think it's that crazy that some neutrals would prefer the bombers list for the future. I am obviously biased but I think my top seven Bombers players (capped the age at 27) for the next four years are as good as any seven Bulldogs players: Daniher Merrett Hurley Fantasia Heppell Mcgrath Parish.
I'd say if the dogs had won 2 more games this season we will be talking up the dogs list with GWS's at the moment.
We have -
Bont, 21 (soon to be the best in the league)
Stringer, 22 (he didn't get compared to Gary Ablett for nothing, in four years time he would have ironed out his inconsistancies and will be impacting every game massively)
Macrae, 22 (extremely underrated player who will definitely be an A grader)
JJ, 24 (Best running HBFer and line-breaker in the comp, and will only get better with experience)
Tom Boyd, 21 (Everyone bags him but he has shown massive improvement in the last two weeks and he will be one of the best key forwards in the comp in four years
Dahlhaus, 24 (one of the best mid/fwds in the comp, was being talked up as AA last year. Definitely will be an A grader)
Hunter, 22 (great winger who is still improving. Was also being talked up as AA last year)
Libba, 24 (may not be in his best form at the moment, but at is best is a top 3 clearance player in the comp. Definite A grader)
Wallis, 24 (fantastic in and under player, will be a B+ grader)
Tim English, 19 (will be one of the best ruckman in the league as soon as he puts on muscle)
There are more, such as Clay Smith, Dunkley, Marcus Adams, Daniel and others that are just below these players.

I really rate the Essendon players though, especially Daniher, love watching him play. I think we need to wait until the end of the year to properly gauge where Parish and McGrath are at and then we can properly compare the two teams' lists.

1. GWS
2. Melbourne
3. Essendon
4. Western Bulldogs
5. St Kilda
6. Carlton
7. Brisbane
8. Adelaide
9. Collingwood
10. Gold Coast
11. Sydney
12. Fremantle
13. North Melbourne
14. Richmond
15. West Coast
16. Port Adelaide
17. Hawthorn
18. Geelong
I rate GC higher than Collingwood and possibly Adelaide/Brisbane

I rate GC higher than Collingwood and possibly Adelaide/Brisbane
Gold Coast players under the age of 25:
DEF: Joyce, Willis, Saad, Leslie, KK, Lemmens, May
MID: Lyons, Swallow, Bowes, Scheer, Fiorini, Schoenfield, MacPherson, Miller, Hallahan, Lonergan, Sexton
FWD: Ainsworth, Ah Chee, 2MP, Martin, Lynch, Day

Yet to Play: Brodie (MID), Scrimshaw (DEF)

Last edited:
Back