Which teams list would you least want going forward?

Which teams list would you least want going forward?

• Adelaide

Votes: 12 1.0%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 49 4.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 50 4.3%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 64 5.5%
  • Essendon

Votes: 35 3.0%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 36 3.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 25 2.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • GWS

Votes: 17 1.5%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 60 5.2%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 478 41.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 55 4.7%
  • Richmond

Votes: 188 16.2%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 10 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 34 2.9%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 16 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing that plenty would like a list that contains Lynch and Wright as the twin towers up forward, May in particular and Thompson in the key posts down back, Bowes, Hall, Miller, Brodie, Swallow, Martin and Hanley in and around the midfield and the likes of Ainsworth, Kolodjsahnij, Harbrow, Saad, Scrimshaw, Fiorini and Ah Chee on the flanks, wings and pockets. Without having double-checked, I think 9 of those 18 were taken in the top 10 of their draft and that doesn't even include Lynch, who went at no.11.

That's a whole lot of talent there from where I'm sitting and most of them are under 25yo.

I would take that list over lists like North's, Port's, Carlton's and Richmond's without even hesitating I reckon.

They haven't really developed the ability to win games without Ablett though, I suspect it's because the club hasn't been successful in drafting inside midfielders. I also find their culture poor and unless they change it they're going to lose many of these players.

If you look at that list, it's also fairly light on for contested ball winners. Brodie and Bowes are decent prospects, Hall is a good player, Miller isn't bad. Martin is really too small to play midfield and the suns know it which is why they're playing him in different positions. Swallow hasn't played for two years, will he play midfield or half back like he used to? The other guys very much rely upon the insiders to do the job.

Let me put it this way, you know how people are potting clubs like Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton? I think the suns aren't that dissimilar in terms of what they have talent wise on their lists.

Port have been voted as the 4th worst team list going forward as of right now, I reckon this is a bit overplayed because of the salary cap 'issue'.

Would love to disagree but there is some truth to that and the Dixon and Ryder trades really killed out list management in that apart from Wingard, Ollie and Impey we don't have any good players 25 years or younger.

Allow me to disagree fellow port fan, these are the players under 25 who I would label as 'good' or better.
  • Aaron Young
  • Jack Hombsch
  • Chad Wingard
  • Ollie Wines
  • Logan Austin
  • Jarman Impey
  • Darcy Byrne-Jones
  • Tom Clurey
Here is the list of players that have shown they are capable of playing 'good' afl footy, but failed to consistently do that in 2016 (again under 25)
  • Sam Gray
  • Jared Polec
  • Karl Amon
  • Brendon Ah Chee

I'll say Port. For youth they have Wingard and Wines but not a lot else.

I don't think you've watched any port games in the last two seasons.

Wingard doesn't seem to be climbing the heights we expected of him after watching his debut season.
Wingard kicked 140 goals in the 2013,2014 and 2015 seasons. Eddie Betts kicked 141, while Cyril kicked signifcantly less (albeit due to injuries). He has had 3 seasons as one of the best small forwards in the competition. He'll be fine he's just had a down season.

Wines is now a plodder.

Ollie Wines is an absolute gun. He was ranked 9th in the league this year for clearances per game and 7th for contested possessions per game. His kicking let him down this year but that he is nowhere near a plodder.

Dixon is a confirmed spud. Hombsch (quality), and Marshall, the unproven draftee, are their only other two KPPs.

Port Adelaides KPP's:
  • Charlie Dixon ('spud' or not)
  • Jack Hombsch
  • Jackson Trengove
  • Tom Clurey
  • Dougal Howard (Injured ACL, probably wont play AFL in 2017)
  • Logan Austin
  • Tom Jonas (can play KPD although he is 188cm)
  • Brett Eddy
  • Todd Marshall
I think our list has more upside in the next 5-7 years than Carlton, Richmond, Fremantle, Geelong, North Melbourne, Eagles and maybe even the Suns depending on how their new crop of draftees go.

Ha!

And as for your 'stars', Wingard would walk in to our side - and be dumped the instant he played the lazy horseshit he plays with Port.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever read and will now be immortalised in my signature.

Buckley has swung into survival mode. If it pays off and they sneak a flag in the next 2 years , well done. If not they are in for a complete re-build the biggest of any club.
Richmond is again 2-3 reasonable KPPs short ,at best , of seriously challenging but haven't sold the farm for short term success.

Buckley has swung into survival mode. If it pays off and they sneak a flag in the next 2 years , well done. If not they are in for a complete re-build the biggest of any club.
Richmond is again 2-3 reasonable KPPs short ,at best , of seriously challenging but haven't sold the farm for short term success.
How on earth could Collingwood go into a rebuild again? Trade all of our 23 year olds and draft 11 year olds?

Wingard kicked 140 goals in the 2013,2014 and 2015 seasons. Eddie Betts kicked 141, while Cyril kicked signifcantly less (albeit due to injuries). He has had 3 seasons as one of the best small forwards in the competition. He'll be fine he's just had a down season.

You're cherrypicking, and not even refuting my point in the process. 2013/14 were good years for you, and Wingard performed, but once you started struggling, he went missing within several games each season. Expand your measurement to 2013-16, and Betts beats him easily.

Ollie Wines is an absolute gun. He was ranked 9th in the league this year for clearances per game and 7th for contested possessions per game. His kicking let him down this year but that he is nowhere near a plodder.

He's a B-grader, but he looked like a star in the making two years ago - that's the concerning thing. After 2014 so many of your players were in the right age profile to really take the next step, and nearly all of them have stagnated, or regressed.

It would baffling to me two years ago that this is where you'd be now. I'm not entirely sure if its down to coaching, or culture, or just a lack of potential - maybe 2013/14 were the aberrations.

Port Adelaides KPP's:
  • Charlie Dixon ('spud' or not)
  • Jack Hombsch
  • Jackson Trengove
  • Tom Clurey
  • Dougal Howard (Injured ACL, probably wont play AFL in 2017)
  • Logan Austin
  • Tom Jonas (can play KPD although he is 188cm)
  • Brett Eddy
  • Todd Marshall
Trengove seems to have been converted into a ruckman, and I've already acknowledged Hombsch. I really wouldn't be showing the others off in defence of your club's list - they've shown nothing.

One ruckman and only one other good KPD has alarm bells ringing (trust me - I'm a Lions fan.)

I think our list has more upside in the next 5-7 years than Carlton, Richmond, Fremantle, Geelong, North Melbourne, Eagles and maybe even the Suns depending on how their new crop of draftees go.

Carlton & Freo have plenty of upside, Suns too if they get their coaching/development sorted. WC & Geelong should both make finals anyway. Richmond & NM are the only ones you could make a case for, but they've at least acknowledged that a rebuild is required.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever read and will now be immortalised in my signature.

Thank you for demonstrating precisely why Wingard is allowed to get away with it.

He's talented, no doubt, but he is a lazy little s**t. I'd have Fantasia starting before him without any hesitation.

But of course he plays at Port. Where fans thank him for his laziness and still try and convince the wider football community that he's some kind of star, when in fact he's actually merely a good player - bettered by many others.

Ha, Fantasia over Wingard!!

It just gets better and better, Jade.

Not only Fantasia over Wingard, but would do it without so much as a second thought.

Fantasia was the best performed small forward in the league bar Betts when he was finally settled there - and certainly of greater value than a frontrunner who can't perform when his team requires it.

Thank you for demonstrating precisely why Wingard is allowed to get away with it.

He's talented, no doubt, but he is a lazy little s**t. I'd have Fantasia starting before him without any hesitation.

But of course he plays at Port. Where fans thank him for his laziness and still try and convince the wider football community that he's some kind of star, when in fact he's actually merely a good player - bettered by many others.

upload_2016-12-8_9-4-48.jpeg

Not only Fantasia over Wingard, but would do it without so much as a second thought.

Fantasia was the best performed small forward in the league bar Betts when he was finally settled there - and certainly of greater value than a frontrunner who can't perform when his team requires it.
Delete your account

Who the f#$k is Fantasia? Would he even be top 10 small forwards on anyone else's list?

Betts
Rioli
Greene
Breust
Poppy
Wingard
Heeney
Papley

Even bloody Motlop and Thomas get in ahead of Fantasia.

Remember there are a LOT of Essendon fans who truly believe they are going to finish somewhere between 4th and 6th in 2017. Really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lay it on a bit thicker, go on.

You're cherrypicking, and not even refuting my point in the process. 2013/14 were good years for you, and Wingard performed, but once you started struggling, he went missing within several games each season. Expand your measurement to 2013-16, and Betts beats him easily.

You're misrepresenting statistics. 2013 and 2014 were good years for us sure, 2015 wasn't. In that year Wingard kicked 53 goals (career high) and made the All Australian squad. He also kicked multiple goals 14 times in a row between rounds 8 and 22.

If you can name me an elite small forward that has never had a period of time where they have 'gone missing', the great Orazio Fantasia aside, I will agree that Wingard isn't living up to the hype.

He's a B-grader, but he looked like a star in the making two years ago.

I think he's just been given too much responsibility as some of our other midfielders have fallen out of form, the inclusion of SPP, Atley and Drew over the next couple of years will amend this and everyone will come running back claiming Wines has recaptured his form.

Trengove seems to have been converted into a ruckman, and I've already acknowledged Hombsch. I really wouldn't be showing the others off in defence of your club's list - they've shown nothing.

One ruckman and only one other good KPD has alarm bells ringing (trust me - I'm a Lions fan.)

Trengove was sent into the ruck as a more permanent solution out of necessity when Lobbe did his knee. Our other Ruckman are Patrick Ryder, Mathew Lobbe, Billy Frampton and a newly added Peter Ladhams (Rookie). Still a little light IMO, but will be adequate for 2017. If you want to focus on our defence, yeah I agree it's really young. It didn't help that our 1st KPD couldn't get on the park for the past two years and retired a year earlier than his contract date, and our 2nd got sent into the Ruck because of our lack of depth. I don't think Clurey nor Austin nor Jonas have shown nothing, they're certainly weren't top tier defenders in 2016, but if you watched the games, our back 6 were not the ones letting us down.

Carlton & Freo have plenty of upside, Suns too if they get their coaching/development sorted. WC & Geelong should both make finals anyway. Richmond & NM are the only ones you could make a case for, but they've at least acknowledged that a rebuild is required.

Could you please name me the KPP's on Carlton and Fremantle's list that have 'done something'. I don't think our points differ on the Suns.

WC & Geelong should both make finals anyway.

Which is great cause the title of the thread is 'Which teams list would be the least likely to make finals next year'. I see less upside in Geelongs under 25's than Port and I don't rate their drafting this year. I like West Coasts 24-26 year old range but the next couple years below are lacking in quality and quantity IMO. They've added experience to the top end of their list, but I think the downside will be a further lack of development on those 18-23 year olds, creating a bigger cliff to fall off.

Who the f#$k is Fantasia? Would he even be top 10 small forwards on anyone else's list?

Betts
Rioli
Greene
Breust
Poppy
Wingard
Heeney
Papley

Even bloody Motlop and Thomas get in ahead of Fantasia.

Remember there are a LOT of Essendon fans who truly believe they are going to finish somewhere between 4th and 6th in 2017. Really.

Ahhh that's right.

Reputation outstripping performance.

Come the end of 2016, only Betts was better - Fantasia better than the rest.

Delete your account

Why?

Because I point out the rather obvious fact that Fantasia's performances were well outstripping all small forward not named Betts come the end of 2016?

Lay it on a bit thicker, go on.

Oh don't worry, I will.

It's a sweet ass feeling knowing you have a player that outperforms others whose reputations well exceed their actual ability.

Wingard is exhibit A.

Why?

Because I point out the rather obvious fact that Fantasia's performances were well outstripping all small forward not named Betts come the end of 2016?

Outside of a good game against GWS he played well against Brisbane, GCS, and Richmond. Not exactly benchmarking games. And he needs to learn to kick straight.

But yeah, 2nd best small forward in the comp. Will carry you guys to top 4.

Outside of a good game against GWS he played well against Brisbane, GCS, and Richmond. Not exactly benchmarking games. And he needs to learn to kick straight.

But yeah, 2nd best small forward in the comp. Will carry you guys to top 4.

No he won't.

Francis, Parish, Merrett, Heppell, Hooker, Daniher, Walla, Hurley, Colyer, Hartley, Langford, Laverde, McGrath AND Fantasia will carry us top four.

My god that list shits all over more than a few.

Look i'm not trying to fill up my signature entirely with complete nonsense. Just because you're all hyped up on your second offseason looking to 2017 doesn't mean Essendon's list automatically got better. I hope you know that exposing your youth to beltings every week doesn't provide valuable development. Ask Brisbane or Carlton.

Look i'm not trying to fill up my signature entirely with complete nonsense. Just because you're all hyped up on your second offseason looking to 2017 doesn't mean Essendon's list automatically got better. I hope you know that exposing your youth to beltings every week doesn't provide valuable development. Ask Brisbane or Carlton.

Essendon's list didn't automatically get better.

It got better because we drafted incredibly well over multiple years, put time, effort and expertise in to developing said list, and lifted the performances of said list.

The amount of talent on that list now puts most clubs (not all) to shame.

No he won't.

Francis, Parish, Merrett, Heppell, Hooker, Daniher, Walla, Hurley, Colyer, Hartley, Langford, Laverde, McGrath AND Fantasia will carry us top four.

My god that list shits all over more than a few.

Essendon finished 15th with 6 wins in 2015 i hardly call that a top 4 team and the club has not won a final since 2004 i think you
should worry about winning a final before talking about top 4 finishes.

Essendon finished 15th with 6 wins in 2015 i hardly call that a top 4 team and the club has not won a final since 2004 i think you
should worry about winning a final before talking about top 4 finishes.

So a team that has finished in a lowly position can't improve to finish in a higher position?

Port have been voted as the 4th worst team list going forward as of right now, I reckon this is a bit overplayed because of the salary cap 'issue'.

Allow me to disagree fellow port fan, these are the players under 25 who I would label as 'good' or better.
  • Aaron Young
  • Jack Hombsch
  • Chad Wingard
  • Ollie Wines
  • Logan Austin
  • Jarman Impey
  • Darcy Byrne-Jones
  • Tom Clurey
Here is the list of players that have shown they are capable of playing 'good' afl footy, but failed to consistently do that in 2016 (again under 25)
  • Sam Gray
  • Jared Polec
  • Karl Amon
  • Brendon Ah Chee

I agree, those players are good, my thinking is more that we have missed out on early draft picks so apart from Ollie and Wingard we dont have any out standing young guns coming through. Hope this years draft changes that of a few of Grey, Snelling, Young really up the game. We dont have that bad of a list its more we are a bit off a GWS, Bulldogs or Sydney type list of more depth in A grade talent.

Back