FTA-TV Which TV shows are you watching now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Lilly hit lightning in a bottle with Summer Heights High and everything else he has made is total crap
Why he didnt make like extra characters for his other series and other storylines ill never know. Eg. Ja'mie, do a teacher or a cleaner idk.. seeing the same character in the one show made them monotonous and annoying af.

2 month later quote.

A mate and I always use this line when we catch up eithers house. :grinning: :thumbsu:
Tea or coffee mate?
Still funny all these years later.

Cool but boring story, I met Chris Lilly through my old job at his production studio office in Balaclava a few days after everyone thought he was going to win a Logie or something for SHH but I think ended up with nothing, Super down to earth bloke no bells or whistles made me like him even more.
nah thats not boring at all.

i reckon hed be awesome to have a chat/drink with.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been watching Barry. Really good show. Obviously quite ridiculous but Bill Hader is clearly quite talented. I'm not sure if this is his first ever dramatic type role but he has proven that he is good at it. Hope to not be spoiled as I'm only like midway through S2 but I can't really see it being a 6 season job.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The Ripper on Netflix, about the investigation and capture of the Yorkshire Ripper, only a short series but very interesting

liked the background of depressed seventies but that and the myscogeny angle seemed to give the hierarchy an out. They were simply incompetent and awful

all those cop shows where the management only cares bout numbers and the ‘optics’ ring true it seems

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
The X-Files

Never saw it first run (was only 12) and decided to give it a real go and watch the first series all the way through

Quoting you twice in as many days lol.
I got the Boxset on Bluray from JB on Sunday (30% off all DVD / Blurays etc) arguably my favorite ever show. (I have them all on DVD but in storage)
About halfway through season 1 now, has it aged? Yeah it def has, is it still fantastic? Yeah I reckon it still is. :thumbsu:

I haven't watched the 2 newest seasons (10 & 11) so it will be interesting to see the change from 1993 through to 2018 or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved it when it was fresh
I dont know if it will hold up now ???

Well, i just watched Squeeze. The ONE episode I saw- many years ago.

Just as ******* awesome as I remembered it to be. Acting a bit "wooden"- but still, overall amazing. 9/10.

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Unauthorized Living -Spanish crime drame.
Bit of a guilty pleasure, a bit soapy, but good characters, scheming and twists.

Also Fortitude, shenigans inside a remote Arctic town.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
The Ripper on Netflix, about the investigation and capture of the Yorkshire Ripper, only a short series but very interesting

The better half and I just watched it and although there are more detailed doco's on the subject this was quite good.

Perhaps a bit over the top portraying the police as complete bumbling idiots given the lack of forensic tech they had back then, although it did highlight how far law enforcement have come when dealing with/using the media in similar investigations.

Also the strong feminist focus in the story I found somewhat confusing/unnecessary; sure, most women were terrified of walking the streets at night and rightly frustrated, but in real life there were actually as many men on those protest marches in the streets at the time demanding the ripper be caught - accordingly I despise this recent trend of movie/TV show producers embellishing history just to support a narrative that appeases modern sensibilities.
As one of the lead detectives on the case told a reporter in April 1978; "The ripper is NOT going to enquire if you're a feminist who has the right to walk the streets alone at night before he smashes your head in with a hammer..!!!"

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Watched the first couple of episodes of "The Serpent" - a BBC miniseries about Charles Sobhraj, a serial killer who robbed and killed a number hippies in Thailand, Nepal and India in the 70s. It stars Jenna Coleman as his girlfriend, and is largely told from her perspective.

So far, it looks great but the purpose of the show is fairly lacking. There's no mystery to who is doing the killing, and no apparent digging into why he did it or why his girlfriend enabled/assisted in it either. And to top it off, the show appears to love to jump around in time, and to make it all the more confusing only signifies the times by "2 months earlier", "4 months later" etc without making it clear what earlier and later are relative to.

I'm not sure whether its going to be worth persisting with, even if its only another 6 episodes

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
After ignoring it for best part of 10 years I finally got watching The Walking Dead! Onto 7th season and by JİNGO it's tight and brilliant as anything I've seen! And here I was telling mates how boring it would be watching zombies getting sloshed for 100+ episodes. How wrong I was. Up there with Breaking Bad, Ozark, Narcos maybe even better .

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
After ignoring it for best part of 10 years I finally got watching The Walking Dead! Onto 7th season and by JİNGO it's tight and brilliant as anything I've seen! And here I was telling mates how boring it would be watching zombies getting sloshed for 100+ episodes. How wrong I was. Up there with Breaking Bad, Ozark, Narcos maybe even better .

thats as far as i got, lost interest half way through season 8

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Found old abbott and Costello show on Amazon prime. Loving it so far. Couple of there moves on there too ill check them out aswell

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
The better half and I just watched it and although there are more detailed doco's on the subject this was quite good.

Perhaps a bit over the top portraying the police as complete bumbling idiots given the lack of forensic tech they had back then, although it did highlight how far law enforcement have come when dealing with/using the media in similar investigations.

Also the strong feminist focus in the story I found a bit confusing/unnecessary; sure, most women were terrified of walking the streets at night and rightly frustrated, but in real life there were actually as many men on those protest marches in the streets at the time demanding the ripper be caught - accordingly I despise this recent trend of movie/TV show producers embellishing history just to support a narrative that appeases modern sensibilities.
As one the lead detectives on the case told a reporter in April 1978; "The ripper is NOT going to enquire if you're a feminist who has the right to walk the streets alone at night before he smashes your head in with a hammer..!!!"
I just watched it too. You'd think with today's digitisation making it possible to cross reference all of times the police spoke to him that he wouldn't have gotten away with it for so long. And the Wearside Jack hoaxer that totally derailed the investigation was just bizarre. The police didn't solve that one until mid 2000s when he was arrested for something else and they had a DNA match on one of the letters.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico

I've watched the first two episodes. There's a definite 30 Rock vibe which makes sense given Tina Fey's involvement, and it made me laugh more than a few times.

The reviews are fairly unfavourable, but it seems that its because a number of them fall into the trap that a lot of reviews seem to do recently of judging something not for what it actually does, but instead for it not making the insight commentary on a subject that the reviewer wants it to

Last edited:
Back