Which two teams rise, and which two fall in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So if you have to pick two teams that will run up the ladder this year, and two who will fall down the biggest this year, who are they?
My two risers are Adelaide and Essendon, and my two that will go backwards are Collingwood and Sydney.

Adelaide and Essendon need more time for their cultures to recover.

Rise: Adelaide (top 6), Brisbane (In that 5th to 13th logjam).
Fall: Port Adelaide (bottom 4/6), Collingwood (either scrape into the 8, or miss out w/their tougher draw).

One of both will be who you expect - say Geelong out for Adelaide.

But one will be one from the top 4 for someone you didn't expect - say us or Richmond for a Port or Saints.

I have no crystal ball to say who will do what, but almost every year it happens. Adelaide last year, Footscray the year before and so on and so forth. It seems to be the trend that at least one of the previous years top 4 sides slides badly, and some team that didn't feature the year before is suddenly and surprisingly in the top 4 (ie Collingwood last year.. or even us)

Essendon and North Melbourne will make the 8 and Hawthorn and Geelong will drop out. North have flown under the radar somewhat, but they have really bolstered their list with off season recruits, i really hope that Scott gives LDU more of a crack in the seniors in 2019, he is too good a talent to waste in the VFL

The Roos are have done a pretty good job rebuilding ther list without totally bottoming out, have to respect them for that.

Have to say, I don't agree with calls for Collingwood falling (although it would please me as a Blues fan).

They had a bucket load of injuries last year and made the Granny (and were unlucky not to win it).

Although they may struggle to make the Grand Final again, the Pies won't drop out of the eight, unless they have an extremely rotten run with injuries.

What will drive Carlton's progression this year? What puts Carlton's natural progression ahead of other teams placed similarly on the ladder?
Hopefully a fit list. 6 players reaching the 4 year mark. 4 midfielders in supreme fitness that weren’t available I 2018. 4 players entering our system that should get games in best 22 replacing spuds from last year. New captain. Pressure released on old captain (he’s supremely fit right now after injured 2018 - running pbs - staying after every session and running) forward line cohesion. Maturing midfield. A back 6 that can stay on the park for 20+ rounds. A fit ruckman. The greatest pick 1 in over a decade. simplified game plan. 2017 coaches returning to their lines (Most on different lines in 2018 - except Teague staying forward). Improved fitness levels from Russell joining. Less red time goals as a result and the team should be able to be more AFL standard with its defensive running.........

I could go on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What will drive Carlton's progression this year? What puts Carlton's natural progression ahead of other teams placed similarly on the ladder?
You'd think continuity week to week and the development of young players could make a difference.

It BF lore to pile on like pack if dogs when a team is down. They've got a lot of young talent though, and more from last years draft.

Essendon and North Melbourne will make the 8 and. North have flown under the radar somewhat, but they have really bolstered their list with off season recruits, i really hope that Scott gives LDU more of a crack in the seniors in 2019, he is too good a talent to waste in the VFL
The Roos are have done a pretty good job rebuilding ther list without totally bottoming out, have to respect them for that.
I would have been on this bandwagon of thought but Daw getting injured made me reluctant to jump onboard although, it could galvanize the group!

Rise: Essendon and Geelong(back into the top 4)

Fall: Port Adelaide and Hawthorn. I think Sydney will miss the 8 as well

Biggest Rise
  • Adelaide - they'll get back on track also injured players will be back
  • Lions - Will no longer be bottom 4
Biggest Fall
  • Geelong - Basically scraped through to 8th - can't see them getting better without change
  • Sydney - Don't know what everyone is thinking but these guys have been looking tired for a while now. Don't know if whipping the current team is going to change anything

Biggest Rise
  • Adelaide - they'll get back on track also injured players will be back
  • Lions - Will no longer be bottom 4
Biggest Fall
  • Geelong - Basically scraped through to 8th - can't see them getting better without change
  • Sydney - Don't know what everyone is thinking but these guys have been looking tired for a while now. Don't know if whipping the current team is going to change anything

My pitch for why Geelong won't fall...

Geelong have made changes and will look different with some players coming back.

Rohan and Dahl will add a lot IMO, Rohan will look a different player in an attacking system and Dahl adds great pressure and intensity.

Big ins will be big Esava and Nakia if he can stay fit.

Duncan will bounce back from an underwhelming year, Danger will get back to his best and Jordan Clark will play 20 games off HB and look the goods.

Hopefully a fit list. 6 players reaching the 4 year mark. 4 midfielders in supreme fitness that weren’t available I 2018. 4 players entering our system that should get games in best 22 replacing spuds from last year. New captain. Pressure released on old captain (he’s supremely fit right now after injured 2018 - running pbs - staying after every session and running) forward line cohesion. Maturing midfield. A back 6 that can stay on the park for 20+ rounds. A fit ruckman. The greatest pick 1 in over a decade. simplified game plan. 2017 coaches returning to their lines (Most on different lines in 2018 - except Teague staying forward). Improved fitness levels from Russell joining. Less red time goals as a result and the team should be able to be more AFL standard with its defensive running.........

I could go on.
There have been so, so, so many players rated "the greatest pick 1 in years", what makes Walsh better than Whitfield, Rayner, McGrath, Swallow, Boyd, Weiterings, etc?

Two risers probably Melbourne and Giants
Two falls probably Crows and Tigers.
Outside last seasons finalists probably expect Carlton and Brisbane to rise more but still will not make any finals.
Suspect Port will fall away even further and Saints could bottom out.

Adelaide and Brisbane to rise ... Crows back near top four and Lions to the cusp of the eight.
Hawthorn and Bulldogs to fall. Hawks to eighth/ninth/10th and can see the Dogs falling a rung or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back