2nds Which VFL team(s) did you support?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive always just followed who Melbourne were aligned with, than before that just the dees reserves. I follow the Perth Demons in the WAFL only because of the name i s'pose.

Sandringham early days pre AFL reserves, then my brother played for Tasmania when they had a team so i went for them, then back to Sandringham after he left and we were aligned with them, then Casey.

Im such a bandwagoner.

Loved that Tassie team though, ex AFL players galore, headed by their captain, former Demon Ben Beams, coach of Casey nowadays; Justin Plapp, former Bulldog Trent Bartlett, former Crow Ian Callinan, former first round bust of the Pies; Luke Shackleton, and Spitmonds very own Jack Reiwoldt (only for the one season) ... plenty more that i cant remember but i really got into the VFL back then.

Last edited:
Went for Preston back in the day, because I had a couple of cousins playing there. After they finished up early 90s I had a hiatus and then came back as a Zebras guy. Now I'm Casey. Fickle turncoat!

I am a Gippsland boy so i dont have any team to follow so i just follow who ever we are aligned with.

Oakleigh when Big Bob Johnson was captain coach. Not sure if this is correct or if the mist of time has created an urban legend in my mind, but I remember one game his statistics were 11 marks, 11 kicks, 11 goals. Someone may call this out as bullshit, but I think he did achieve something close to this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to love watching Preston. Had an awesome full forward called Jamie Shaw. Stopped following them once we aligned ourselves with the Zebras.

Yep, Jamie Shaw was there at the same time as my cousins. He was a freak. Kicked 18 in one game, but I can't remember who it was against. He got picked up by Fitzroy but only played a couple of games for them, even though I think he got goals in those games; maybe even 6 on debut or something. Then he went back to Preston. It's a shame the VFA/VFL is now just development for the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back