Which way for the pies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies beat the reigning premier twice 😉
LOL I think Melbourne's beaten Collingwood 1 out of the last 10 meetings? We love getting thrashed by Collingwood in any case.
Guess I should be happy we kept those two games relatively close :)

Collingwood probably has the best game plan and team play in the league. They just don't quite have the cattle yet to pull it all off. I expect them to contend next year and wouldn't be surprised if they win a flag in the next 3 or so.

Lost to the two grand finalists by a combined 7 points.

Found out? Verified our season.
Swings and round abouts as so many games in the season you were super lucky to win and would of had you struggling for top 4 and in a scrap to even make the 8 if luck didn’t play a part.

Kudos though as you won them and are well coached. Next year will tell the true story of where you guys are at and IMO you are still to reliant on Pendles and Sidebottom with no clear replacements for them yet.

History says that teams that outperform their percentage so significantly tend to regress a bit. Doubly so for teams who were lucky in close games (and whatever you think about the team, they were lucky. If Harry Jones and Charlie Curnow kick routine goals they probably finish 7th this year, and that's not taking anything away from how well Collingwood executed in close games)

Will likely start the year with a brutal top 4 fixture, too. Wouldn't be surprised to see them play, for example, Geelong, Sydney (away), Richmond, Carlton, someone like Port in Melbourne and then Essendon on ANZAC day to start the year. On paper that's reasonable (two repeat games of close finals, two blockbusters against teams in the middle of the ladder, one 'gimme' win and ANZAC day). But in that case they could also quite easily be the same team next year and go into ANZAC day 1-4 and be playing a 'rampaging' 4-1 Essendon (who have had a cupcake schedule after underperforming this year)

There's definitely something exciting a out 2022 Collingwood though. Their confidence and belief in what they do, but also - their speed, structure and kicking ability were genuinely exceptional. If 2022 Collingwood had even mid-tier contested ball winners they steamroll the league imo.

If I had to bet I think they probably have a year similar to the Bulldogs this year: bad start, written off, but somehow pop up for 7th or 8th.

Swings and round abouts as so many games in the season you were super lucky to win and would of had you struggling for top 4 and in a scrap to even make the 8 if luck didn’t play a part.

Kudos though as you won them and are well coached. Next year will tell the true story of where you guys are at and IMO you are still to reliant on Pendles and Sidebottom with no clear replacements for them yet.
Can think of a Pendlebury replacement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Offload Grundy, add McStay and some other big bodied players, cull some dead weight (Brown brothers etc.) and another year into Daicos', Murphy, IQ and Gini and we'll be in it up to our eyeballs.

Anyone writing the team off is ludicrous, instead of winning games by 7 points, things will really start clicking and we'll start winning them by 7 goals.
What more do you think Ginnivan can add?

Surely in order to get better he will need to become a midfielder? Not sure there's much upside as small forward is there?

Collingwood probably has the best game plan and team play in the league. They just don't quite have the cattle yet to pull it all off. I expect them to contend next year and wouldn't be surprised if they win a flag in the next 3 or so.
?

Which cattle will improve, or which cattle will they add that will make them better at executing their game plan?

?

Which cattle will improve, or which cattle will they add that will make them better at executing their game plan?
Well with the current group they were the third best team in the first year of a new gameplan and new coach. Their best players are all young and young players can become better players as time goes on. Seems like a pretty simple concept to me?

3 concerns:

really concerned about McCrae's 'only winners' thing, it seems very absolute and doesn't leave wriggle room if they don't get the miracle wins next year.

That must be Pendlebury's last effective year, surely, and he is irreplaceable (though I said this last year!)

Finally....this issue:

grundiiiie.png

2022 was the anti 2021

2021 they went 1-5 in close games
2022 they went 9-3

10-8 over 2 years is about par for the course.

They were always better than 17th
But never as good as 4th

Just an average side that had tails land 1 year and heads the other.

But what to expect next year? 5th-8th, out in Semi Final

If the stars align, their window opens in 2024. But more realistically, 2025/26.

Their coach handled the loss to Geelong very poorly, if they lose some close games early next year he might crack up
He worded and delivered it very poorly but he's message was spot on.
Be winners. Compete and compete hard win or lose and bounce back.
Or the club can wallow or frankly carry on like other clubs have done in the last 3 years with this Covid crap which is frankly pathetic.
Go again and again. Or wear face masks wearing the team song

Low percentage and we’re super lucky in a heap of games with last minute goals that could of gone either way.

Finals found them out only beating Freo on the MCG after scraping into the top 4.

Now they have to push Grundy out and pay for him to play elsewhere so they they can afford the basket case DeGoey. No key forwards that have big bodies to rely on up forward either while still having a heavy reliance on Pendles and Sidebottom who are in the twilight years.

Positive side is the Daicos boys are guns and the have anchors down back in Moore and Howe who are a great 1-2 punch in defense. Crisp and Maynard are stars also but then it gets thin list wise.
How did finals find them out? They got within a goal of Geelong and within a point of the Swans with a comfortable win over Freo in the middle. I think the finals showed they belonged in the top 4 far more than their home and away results did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back