Which way for the pies?

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
I think they underachieved last year due to the offseason fire sale to a greater degree than they overachieved this year.
Wouldn't be surprised if they miss top 4 but missing finals would be underperformance

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think they underachieved last year due to the offseason fire sale to a greater degree than they overachieved this year.
Wouldn't be surprised if they miss top 4 but missing finals would be underperformance

I’d agree with that.

Sides will put more work into them next year.

I think mid range as opposed to top 4.

Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Offload Grundy, add McStay and some other big bodied players, cull some dead weight (Brown brothers etc.) and another year into Daicos', Murphy, IQ and Gini and we'll be in it up to our eyeballs.

Anyone writing the team off is ludicrous, instead of winning games by 7 points, things will really start clicking and we'll start winning them by 7 goals.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Offload Grundy, add McStay and some other big bodied players, cull some dead weight (Brown brothers etc.) and another year into Daicos', Murphy, IQ and Gini and we'll be in it up to our eyeballs.

Anyone writing the team off is ludicrous, instead of winning games by 7 points, things will really start clicking and we'll start winning them by 7 goals.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Do_Beta_Rapport

All Australian
Jun 23, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Overachieved this year but built culture and belief.

Ginnivan, McCreery, Daicos, Quaynor etc etc, all got to play in big games at home and on the road. That can help build a nucleus.

Look at some of the sides with far better lists that haven’t played/won a final for eons, I believe we will be better for the run not going the other way.

Do_Beta_Rapport

All Australian
Jun 23, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pressure and expectation sometimes will be a curse. Changes the mindset completely from being ‘underdogs’. Their best chance was definitely this year.

Nobody gave the Pies a chance this year. They will slightly increase that for next but there will hardly be any expectation until they improve the list.

Gold Rocks

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Do they make more progress, or was 2022 an anomaly with so many tight wins?

Some will say they're a young team and the only way is up, others will say the core is still there from 2018, and it may be a false dawn.

Either way, fantastic season for them
They really needed to finish low to get elite top 5 kids in the draft. But they finally have a good coach so if they are injury free with young kids in the vfl taking the next step plus nailing trades, drafting and free agents they could stay up after the veterans retire.

Low percentage and we’re super lucky in a heap of games with last minute goals that could of gone either way.

Finals found them out only beating Freo on the MCG after scraping into the top 4.

Now they have to push Grundy out and pay for him to play elsewhere so they they can afford the basket case DeGoey. No key forwards that have big bodies to rely on up forward either while still having a heavy reliance on Pendles and Sidebottom who are in the twilight years.

Positive side is the Daicos boys are guns and the have anchors down back in Moore and Howe who are a great 1-2 punch in defense. Crisp and Maynard are stars also but then it gets thin list wise.

Back