Which way for the pies?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a very good best 22, but geez you'd want your KPPs to remain fit and firing throughout the season.

If Cameron, Moore or Mihocek goes down for any significant period of time, you're buggered. (IMHO)
Can’t afford to lose Moore period as our most important player and what he brings.

Cameron and Mihocek aren’t as scary a prospect and can be replaced. We’ve got Kreuger in the wings who you’d know quite well. McStay is an upgrade on Mihocek IMO so he’d effectively do what Mihocek has had to do all of the last 3-4 years anyway and we haven’t been terrible in those years. Haven’t named Johnson in that side and he’ll be a useful extra tall up forward.

You cant replace the whiley coyote nouse of blokes like Pendelbury and Sidebottom - but Collingwood doesn't have to for another year - unless they have some really bad luck - they will be playing finals. Nick Daicos is going to be a superstar who could take over the Pendelbury role sooner rather than later. I like a strong competitive Collingwood running around.

Both teams have coaches who know what they are doing and will get the most out of what they've got. I think Carlton is 3-4 starting players behind Collingwood in '23 - but maybe enough star power to make it evens.

Collingwood for mine were the best field kicking team in the competition at the pointy end of the season - they managed to win close games because they could make the 40 meter bullet to the danger spots.

Very enjoyable to watch and if any side was going to trouble Geelong in the GF it would have been Collingwood's pressure and kicking game.

A great pity that Carlton's midfielders in Walsh/Hewett and Kennedy were out injured for the final game against Collingwood - unfinished business for sure. However, luck with injuries at the end of the season is just part of footy and why winning a flag isn't easy.

Bring on 2023 !:moustache:

Already addressed two weaknesses with McStay and Hill. Given the other names were linked to it’s seems our FD are quite aware that our run isn’t sustainable and want to correct the those weaknesses to become a more consistent side.

Pretty confident that Fly will improve the team with more tools at his disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the Pies going backwards I loved the way they played this season, but you can't keep winning every tight game during the H&A season like they did this season. So, at this early stage I did my early ladder prediction on another thread and have them just missing the 8 but they are in the mix to play finals again for sure. They were the team I was most pleasantly surprised by this season. Great season and loved the way they played McRae.

FB - Maynard, Murphy, Howe
HB - Daicos, Moore, IQ
C - Sidey, Mitchell, Daicos
HF - McCreery, McStay, Elliott
FF - Ginnivan, Mihocek, Hill
R - Cameron, Crisp, JDG

Int - Noble, Lipinski, Murphy, Pendles

2023 premiers.

It's a good team (I assume Adams for the second Murphy). I'd say compared to Geelong and Melbourne it relies a bit more on key individuals and has less depth outside the 22 but there's no doubt it's a strong team.

The big questions will be Moore, De Goey, Pendlebury and Cameron. Moore is so key as both an interceptor and rebounder. De Goey and Pendlebury are the key guys who can give you drive from midfield and Cameron just has to shoulder the number 1 ruck. Get a couple of injuries to those guys and things will be tough. But if De Goey and Moore have years like their first couple of finals the sky is the limit.

Team will be better but go backwards on the ladder - 5-8th

Agreed. Top 4 teams needs to beat the also-rans with some authority. But that was not us this year, struggling even to get over North Melbourne and the likes. I can't see us winning so many close ones again.

I reckon 6th-10th is our range, unless we have an absolutely charmed run with injury.

PS. My heart can't stand another year of cliffhangers like this one.

It's a good team (I assume Adams for the second Murphy). I'd say compared to Geelong and Melbourne it relies a bit more on key individuals and has less depth outside the 22 but there's no doubt it's a strong team.

I'd say we're similar to Geelong, as was evident by Brownlow night where Daicos and Crisp were joint Brownlow leaders with 11 votes. It is a fairly even spread of contributors. When the whips get cracking, we do rely on leadership though, but the same can be said about any other club in the competition. Melbourne though I'd say are reliant on that superstar midfield and if they aren't firing a shot, the rest of the team suffers. I don't think we've got the depth of Geelong though if we copped a few injuries, but across our best 22, it is pretty even across the board.

The big questions will be Moore, De Goey, Pendlebury and Cameron. Moore is so key as both an interceptor and rebounder. De Goey and Pendlebury are the key guys who can give you drive from midfield and Cameron just has to shoulder the number 1 ruck. Get a couple of injuries to those guys and things will be tough. But if De Goey and Moore have years like their first couple of finals the sky is the limit.

Moore - absolutely. Pendlebury - not as much. As mentioned above, his leadership becomes integral in close games, but he is no longer the matchwinner, nor does he need to be. If Moore goes down, I reckon its lights out for Collingwood though.

Re the ruck position, Cox was actually the better tap ruckman across '22. Cameron was better around the ground. McStay coming in can support as the #2 ruckman, and hopefully Kreuger can stay fit to offer support as a pinch-hitter.

We are reliant on Jordy De Goey's X factor, but he seriously needs to elevate his game to the next level and become more consistent. Once again, he didn't finish in our top 5 in the B&F.

As is the case every year, its the improvement from the lower tiered players that will make the difference - guys like Macrae, Ruscoe and Carmichael breaking into the 22. Getting similar output out of Ginnivan, Johnson and Noble, who became important quickly etc.

you forgot to add Grundy to your "terrible" list .. hopefully Melbourne does the dumbest thing ever and pick him up! ( btw our best player is 19 not 35 lmfao)
Naicos isnt our best player yet.

Crisp is back to back BnF winner, so deservedly is our best on output.

Moore and DeGoey our most important.

Ageing list and their best player starts the season as a 35 year old.

McStay and Frampton are terrible.
Frampton probably only going to be a depth palyer anyway.
McStay is not great, but he’s not terrible either.

It relies on a few players making big leaps, which they have the talent to do. Ones Im thinking of are Johnson, Carmicheal, McInnes in particular. Think all three have super high ceilings. Hill has the talent to be one of the best crumbers in the league in the right system. Is Mitchell anywhere close to his 2018 self in this team? (I know he's not going to be as good, but even 80% would a massive boost to our midfield)

But especially JDG actually stepping up to be a consistent superstar, not just a bloke who plays 6-7 blinders a season and fairly average or missing games injured the rest of the time.

It relies on a few players making big leaps, which they have the talent to do. Ones Im thinking of are Johnson, Carmicheal, McInnes in particular. Think all three have super high ceilings. Hill has the talent to be one of the best crumbers in the league in the right system. Is Mitchell anywhere close to his 2018 self in this team? (I know he's not going to be as good, but even 80% would a massive boost to our midfield)

But especially JDG actually stepping up to be a consistent superstar, not just a bloke who plays 6-7 blinders a season and fairly average or missing games injured the rest of the time.
That is a pretty optimistic take as Johnson, Carmichael, McInness all need to cement themselves as best 22 players and not be delisted next year like Poulter who has shown similar output.

Hill's numbers at AFL level have barely improved over 4 year in the system. He is a huge disappointment as in his underage year in juniors looked a certain top 5 pick. His next year he went backwards and aside from the occasional glimpse struggles in the AFL. I can't see who he pushes out of the Pies best 22.

It will be interesting to see how Mitchell fits into the game plan he will win more clearances than the current mids but will not provide the rebound that allowed the Pies to score.

What is the chance that JDG puts in the extra hard yards now that he has a long term contract?

That is a pretty optimistic take as Johnson, Carmichael, McInness all need to cement themselves as best 22 players and not be delisted next year like Poulter who has shown similar output.

Would take something drastic for any of those 3 to be delisted at the end of the 2023 season. There’s a far greater chance of 2-3 of them having cemented their spots in the 23 than there is them getting delisted. Each have shown great potential at the highest level - something Poulter never did.

Hill's numbers at AFL level have barely improved over 4 year in the system. He is a huge disappointment as in his underage year in juniors looked a certain top 5 pick. His next year he went backwards and aside from the occasional glimpse struggles in the AFL. I can't see who he pushes out of the Pies best 22.

No expectations he gets back to the type of hype that had him a potential top 5 pick, but being out of GWS, at a much bigger club, playing on the biggest stage may be the spark needed to get his career on track. I’ve got no real expectations of him, and like you, don’t think he is best 23 right now. The fact he has only played 41 games gives me more hope that he can get drastically better. If he was a 60-80 gamer, you’d say we’ve seen enough, but right now he is an exciting prospect.

It will be interesting to see how Mitchell fits into the game plan he will win more clearances than the current mids but will not provide the rebound that allowed the Pies to score.

Fits like a glove does Titch. Like Pendles, he isn’t blessed with pace, and like Adams, he isn’t blessed with spectacular disposal. Those two were and are still integral to Collingwood. He’s a very good extractor and feeder, so it will only be a positive for the likes of Crisp, Daicos and JDG to have him there feeding them the handball receive so they can do their thing.

What is the chance that JDG puts in the extra hard yards now that he has a long term contract?
History says he regresses now that he has his long term contract. As has been the case his whole career, anything JDG offers the Pies is effectively cream on top. He has never really been our sole match winner, but he sure is overdue to now. If it clicks for him, Collingwood is unstoppable in 2023 though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back