Analysis While the AFL pretend they don't have cash reserves, what can the Club do to bring revenue in during the shutdown?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for reference this is what Madden looked like in 2010, on a Playstation 3:

AFL Evo is a flaming pile of garbage, made by a studio that refuses to be remotely creative with their budget.

They're about 12-15 years behind their competitors, and are a joke in the context of modern game development.

They're a small development team with probably 5% the budget / audience of those games so I wouldn't expect the graphics to be on the same level.

I don't really give a rats about graphics anyway, gameplay is what's important and from most reports on Bigfooty AFL Evo 2 launch thread, it's markedly improved from the first game (which admittedly it needed to be.) We'll wait and see how the dust settles with patches etc over the next couple of weeks but it's certainly got some promise as people are reporting it actually plays like footy now.

Anyways, I won't say any more on this here as it's probably not the place and I don't want to derail your thread too much.

They're a small development team with probably 5% the budget / audience of those games so I wouldn't expect the graphics to be on the same level.

I don't really give a rats about graphics anyway, gameplay is what's important and from most reports on Bigfooty AFL Evo 2 launch thread, it's markedly improved from the first game (which admittedly it needed to be.) We'll wait and see how the dust settles with patches etc over the next couple of weeks but it's certainly got some promise as people are reporting it actually plays like footy now.

Anyways, I won't say any more on this here as it's probably not the place and I don't want to derail your thread too much.
The gameplay sucks, and Unreal Engine development costs are zero until you start making money, and come with a set of texture assets to build from.

Here's what a small team did as a demo project back in 2018:

Last edited:
The gameplay sucks

Well clearly that's one opinion and judging by the game launch thread many people would disagree. Note that I don't own this yet so I'm not saying I disagree, just that others clearly do. If you have actually played it, maybe you can PM me what you didn't like and change my mind about possibly picking it up soon.

Well clearly that's one opinion and judging by the game launch thread many people would disagree. Note that I don't own this yet so I'm not saying I disagree, just that others clearly do. If you have actually played it, maybe you can PM me what you didn't like and change my mind about possibly picking it up soon.
I'm specifically referring to the mechanics/responsiveness. Far too clunky compared to the competing options.

Job one is to nail that, and they appear to have failed, again, like many before them.

Having watched a bit of gameplay, I hate the camera angles changing over and over and over depending on who's got the ball. You think you're going for it, then the camera shifts and takes the ball away from you. I'd crack the shits fairly quickly.

The key behind a sports game is to make the gameplay loop addictive, and to make it feel like your input makes a difference to the play as well as making the game 'fair' to a human player versus the inbuilt AI. If you throw the controller at the screen because the camera is fighting you to take possession first, that's not 'fair', and is detrimental to gameplay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back