Strategy While we’ve been tearing our hair out - has Don completely changed the gameplan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yahr we can't keep that **** up. There's only so much the coach can do. He can't kick goals.
Our set shot goal kicking has been poor but also many players are missing shots on the run from 40 to 35 out directly in front. Can think of Lynch as an example last week but the usual suspects are Betts, Atkins, Knight. These are shots that must be taken. Atkins has declined when kicking to the right of camera end.. He seems to nail them when running close to the boundary line when we are kicking to the left of camera end. But the goals he is continually missing is when he runs onto the ball at centre half forward and seems to panic or have a lack of confidence. These are goals that he consistently kicked going back 3 years. If I was forwards coach they need to be doubling their training in this area.

Yep spot on. We rarely if ever get a deep inside 50 from a center clearance because our midfield structure is set up to exit out the defensive side. We also love to hack kick. This means if we do end up kicking inside 50 it's typically a shallow entry so not much point having a key forward deep
We lack a quality playmaking mid. This should be Gibbs. I am hoping it is Milera eventually.

This is why our forward movement from.stoppage is often a hack kick rushed out of there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't think we've conceded a super easy goal

This would be utter chaos imo. How do you stop a player from leading out of the 50?
Could be tricky. You can still lead out. But can only do so if 4 in the arc. So that when you leave the arc three remain.

Wouldn't be fixed positions for the individual players. Just need to make sure there are always three players in the arc.

Three might be too hard. Two players could be more workable.

Could be tricky. You can still lead out. But can only do so if 4 in the arc. So that when you leave the arc three remain.

Wouldn't be fixed positions for the individual players. Just need to make sure there are always three players in the arc.

Three might be too hard. Two players could be more workable.

Requiring teams to have a fixed number of players in the 50m arcs at all times sounds like a terrible idea.

Which obviously means that the AFL will introduce it after the mid-season bye rounds.

Yep

God I can just imagine situations like on the weekend where Himmer kicked a checkside to gain territory and you have 2 or 3 sets of players hanging on the edge of the 50 hoping it bounces far enough for them to be able to collect it. Would be a completely embarrassing look.

Nice thread and some good observations in here.

I've written many times how our high press was an issue, it works fantastic against some teams but once sides start breaking through it we were far too often unable to defend and they get the easy goals while we have to bust our ass to get one.

God I can just imagine situations like on the weekend where Himmer kicked a checkside to gain territory and you have 2 or 3 sets of players hanging on the edge of the 50 hoping it bounces far enough for them to be able to collect it. Would be a completely embarrassing look.
Opponents trying to body each other over the 50m line to get a free kick. It's a terrible idea.

Or a defender running it out of his defensive 50, forward chasing hard right on his tail, then has to stop chasing because it would leave them 1 short inside the arc.

I think I would actually vomit if I ever saw this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the next step is each side has to keep at least 3 players in each arc at all times.

I'd rather they just go from 18 to 16 on the field than introduce that type of zoning

Or a defender running it out of his defensive 50, forward chasing hard right on his tail, then has to stop chasing because it would leave them 1 short inside the arc.

I think I would actually vomit if I ever saw this.

Change the name to netball and we’re done

Is this defensive style with us for the season do we think, or an aberration? I tend think we need to change our expectations from seeing 100 point scores.

Interestingly we have scored over 100 only once this year, yet we sit 6th and we have the 5th highest %.

Not for me, that was my point. I don't think it will show much at all. Showdowns often are actually outliers in a season that don't fit into the form lines of either side.
I have to disagree, And history shows it. In the last 10 years when weve won the first showdown of the year were 3 for 3 to make the finals. The 7 times weve lost we have only played finals twice. Things seemed to fall apart after losing the first showdown last year when we seemed to be traveling well. Im not saying we cant have a good year if we lose. But I believe its very important that we win. And Ive noticed port adelaides been getting the 1st home showdown out of turn which is wrong, The afl looking after crowd numbers.

Is this defensive style with us for the season do we think, or an aberration? I tend think we need to change our expectations from seeing 100 point scores.

Interestingly we have scored over 100 only once this year, yet we sit 6th and we have the 5th highest %.

I think it was largely due to the opposition. You're not often going to get into a free flowing, high scoring shootout with a Ross Lyon coached team. What was odd about the weekend's game was that the intensity just never dropped. Games often start out that way, but after a while the players tire a bit and the game opens up as it goes on. That just never happened on Sunday, both teams just kept going at 100% from start to finish. You won't get that every week.

Our goalkicking isn't helping, either. Just based on number of scoring opportunities, we could have and probably should have cracked 100 points against Sydney and probably Geelong, but couldn't kick straight.

Our goalkicking isn't helping, either. Just based on number of scoring opportunities, we could have and probably should have cracked 100 points against Sydney and probably Geelong, but couldn't kick straight.

Salient quote

I know a lot of people were not entertained by Sunday's game, but I sat and watched the replay last night and without the stress of not knowing the result quite enjoyed it.

At the game it was very tense, and again that is part of the theatre of such a contest.

I also like went weather footy.

Had we converted more of our chances in the second the game would have opened up a bit, as it did a bit once we get out to a three goal lead.

I know a lot of people were not entertained by Sunday's game, but I sat and watched the replay last night and without the stress of not knowing the result quite enjoyed it.

At the game it was very tense, and again that is part of the theatre of such a contest.

I also like went weather footy.

Had we converted more of our chances in the second the game would have opened up a bit, as it did a bit once we get out to a three goal lead.

I was at the game and I really enjoyed it even while it was going on. Would have been nice to see some more scoring, but just seeing a real hard, tight, contested game has its own sort of appeal, too. I was talking about it to my mates at half time - we couldn't remember seeing a game that low scoring that was also actually that good a game. It was just a strange game all round, really, and that's before you even get into the umpiring.

I have to disagree, And history shows it. In the last 10 years when weve won the first showdown of the year were 3 for 3 to make the finals. The 7 times weve lost we have only played finals twice. Things seemed to fall apart after losing the first showdown last year when we seemed to be traveling well. Im not saying we cant have a good year if we lose. But I believe its very important that we win.
Correlation does not imply causation.

My point was (and is) Power are not a good side - Showdowns don't show form - our actual standing / ranking will be shown in the 5 weeks after the showdown.

Correlation does not imply causation.

My point was (and is) Power are not a good side - Showdowns don't show form - our actual standing / ranking will be shown in the 5 weeks after the showdown.
Yeah I agree with you that port adelaide are not a good side, thats why it's important we beat them. I understand what your saying, and back in early years of the contests your theory was the case. But in recent years the better team usualy wins.

I'd rather they just go from 18 to 16 on the field than introduce that type of zoning
Can fix the game very easily. Increase kick distance from 15 to 25metres, make it play on if you kick backwards, decrease players from 18 to 16, last touch over the boundary line between the 50 arcs results in a opposition kick in. Problem solved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back