Strategy While we’ve been tearing our hair out - has Don completely changed the gameplan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pyke has certainly got the defensive structure well set up and the two way running going. He has got the players pressuring the opposition at every possible opportunity and trying to give them no room and seeking to shut them down. I think he is hanging out to get Milera and Seedsman back to get some more offensive thrust going, while hoping for no injuries to key personal. His bringing in Himmelberg for Jenkins was courageous and has come off. He is probably looking for one more forward with x-factor. This may be Milera who was being tried a bit more up forward (once again) just before injury or someone else as the season unfolds such as Shane McAdam.

A discussion for all the strategically minded. I’ve noticed in the last 2 weeks how well we’ve structured our defence, and this involves seeing them set much deeper than years gone by.

The extent to which last nights game was a defensive battle got me thinking about the earlier rounds. Games where we were generally ok defensively but couldn’t score ourselves.

We are 3rd for least points conceded, we have yet to concede a 100 point score, 4 times we’ve kept sides to under 70 points. It’s an impressive season for Marty Mattner and his gang.

I’m interested in what others think? Other than setting out zone much deeper, are others seeing differences?

I think the free wheeling days of 2016-17 might be gone in favour of a game plan they think may stand up better in finals, and those frustrations in early games we were working out how to get some offence into the new structure.

Just a thought - but maybe we are changing the offensive brand to a more dour outfit?
Yeah this is why reading your posts and dialogue is a benifit to a supporter that sees a similar 180.
Now a lot is in Mattners hands and it’s turned dour and we are the new Sydney

The CrowCast crew were pretty strong a few weeks ago on criticising the assistants we brought in to put around Pyke.

With the talk of a strong defensive set up has this opinion started to change?
A lot of this discussion here and credit is given to Pyke, but could it be that the back 6 structure Mattner has been working on has started to gel?

I think there’s still big queries over our mid stoppage set up as well as Hart as an assistant but to attribute all the positive to Pyke so soon after criticizing our rookie assistant additions seems a bit superficial

Look at the number of times we put the ball on the boot tonight. Nearly every single time a Crows player won it, it was straight onto the boot, doesn’t matter how, where or why, just kick it forward.

I wasn’t there tonight to see how many numbers we had at the stoppage, but I’m pretty sure we weren’t too fussed about losing the clearances because we knew we had numbers away from the ball.

That also meant that when we did win the ball, don’t mess around with it, because Port probably had at least one extra around the footy.

Pro tip: a gameplan that is kick-centric will always stand up better under pressure.

Look at the number of times we put the ball on the boot tonight. Nearly every single time a Crows player won it, it was straight onto the boot, doesn’t matter how, where or why, just kick it forward.

I wasn’t there tonight to see how many numbers we had at the stoppage, but I’m pretty sure we weren’t too fussed about losing the clearances because we knew we had numbers away from the ball.

That also meant that when we did win the ball, don’t mess around with it, because Port probably had at least one extra around the footy.

Pro tip: a gameplan that is kick-centric will always stand up better under pressure.
Talia was a beast tonight.

Our defensive structure seems like something the football shows will really focus on in a couple of weeks if our run continues. The bonus is that with Milera and Seedsman to come back the counter-attack should improve considerably in the second half of season. It was good to see the repeat Inside 50s we got so much in 2017 happening a lot today.

The CrowCast crew were pretty strong a few weeks ago on criticising the assistants we brought in to put around Pyke.

A lot of this discussion here and credit is given to Pyke, but could it be that the back 6 structure Mattner has been working on has started to gel?

I think there’s still big queries over our mid stoppage set up as well as Hart as an assistant but to attribute all the positive to Pyke so soon after criticizing our rookie assistant additions seems a bit superficial
Bigfooty is pretty excellent for this kind of stuff.

Things going bad: Sack Pyke

Things turn around: Maybe it's the ideology of the rookie line coach from the SANFL who has coached 8 games finally sinking in...

Surely when you watch games you can see it's not just the back 6, it's a teamwide realignment of gameplan with an emphasis on defense after realising 6-6-6 has actually resulted in lower scores???

Maybe Mattner also told Pyke to go down and coach from the bench...

Bigfooty is pretty excellent for this kind of stuff.

Things going bad: Sack Pyke

Things turn around: Maybe it's the ideology of the rookie line coach from the SANFL who has coached 8 games finally sinking in...

Surely when you watch games you can see it's not just the back 6, it's a teamwide realignment of gameplan with an emphasis on defense after realising 6-6-6 has actually resulted in lower scores???

Maybe Mattner also told Pyke to go down and coach from the bench...
I’m not saying it’s all mattner and I’ve never been a sack Pyke person
It goes the same the other way so let me reword your post

Things going bad: assistants are hopeless

Things turn around: pyke finally getting his way and ignoring our useless assistants

That’s what Big Footy is good at is picking what reason it wants and making the reasons fit that.

As far as the from the bench comment- most of this coaching/planning that goes into those structures we are seeing is pre game.

And the whole ground comment you made, your right about that too. So Campo/Godden would have a role in that

I have no doubt Pyke has a big part in it but to put it all on him while giving no potential credit to the assistants is a shallow analysis.

I think we were pretty strong on spraying everyone top to bottom, and about the only people that we missed were host families for new draftees.

I think the question is was our poor start due to

1. Being surprised by 6,6,6 and changing our style on the run; or
2. Were we always going to approach this season differently and it just took a while for the players to get on top of a new game plan ?

If the answer is 1, then maybe one of the assistants helped shape that - who knows.

We interviewed Marty Mattner last week and I put the issue of gameplan change directly to him, but as you would expect he sidestepped the question. He’s not going to devulge gameplan details to us schmo’s on CrowCast.

So if we turn around and win a flag from 1-3 I’m sure we will all put our hands up and say we were wrong - fair way to go though

There’s a dour second and third effort style to the defence at the moment, the number of times they stopped the ball getting out or put the opposition under direct pressure was good to see, it reminded me of watching Sturt under Mattner and especially in the 2017 GF against Port.

Good post and spot on. We are super defensive this year and as supporters we just have to get used to ugly wins. At the end of the day it doesn't matter as long as we win.
And in saying that we were 44 points up in the last quarter last night.

Ugly is pretty sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never had doubt that Pyke can coach but the two things that still worry a bit

1) We have fairly experienced team at the moment. We have won the last four games but we probably should of won all of them. The one game we have played against a genuine contender who will be there come finals we were beaten.

2) I am not convinced Pyke is a premiership coach. I just don't think he is hard enough. He is a very good coach and we will continue to play finals but I don't think we will win premiership under him.

In the end it comes down to is he getting the best he can from the group. If for example we make a Prelim this year do we extend his contract? Not sure I know the answer yet.

For me it's about building your team around your strongest line. People bang on about defence winning flags, well now we have a very very good and organised defence.

Our game style appears to be built around that, and it's sustainable.

And the most important aspect of that was that the quick kick was always going to a contested situation because of the crows going so man on man which is so pleasing to see. Very few loose Port players floating about.

I also think the midfield are showing Mick Godden's style as well. Both new assistant coaches are having a big influence on our gameplan.

For me it's about building your team around your strongest line. People bang on about defence winning flags, well now we have a very very good and organised defence.

Our game style appears to be built around that, and it's sustainable.
It’s a great point.

Our defence has 3 x AA players and a 4th likely this year. Might as well have them involved !

Keath making a huge difference back there too.
He’s repelling a lot of forward thrusts with his courage and pace. Will be interesting to know his wing-span. I’d say it’d be the best at our club, or close to it.

Make no mistake by the end of the year Keath will be one of the biggest talking points of the year.

Wouldn't have helped, we were cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back