Strategy While we’ve been tearing our hair out - has Don completely changed the gameplan?

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a dour second and third effort style to the defence at the moment, the number of times they stopped the ball getting out or put the opposition under direct pressure was good to see, it reminded me of watching Sturt under Mattner and especially in the 2017 GF against Port.
And this is why jenkins must NOT come back in. His half assed throwing out his arm while defenders run past him should no longer be acceptable

Nick Riewoldt embarrassing himself on SEN this morning as per usual. It's always so obvious he doesnt do his homework but reads the 'common view' of every club from the past month and submits that as his own view.

Described us as not back because we weren't playing 2017 footy - glad he got called out on that shitful comment by Lyon and Watson who pointed out the plan had changed and our defence was winning us games now.

Also submitted Port's injury list as the excuse and had to be read Adelaides outs because once again he had no clue.

And this is why jenkins must NOT come back in. His half assed throwing out his arm while defenders run past him should no longer be acceptable
New style certainly means more contested possessions in the front half. Movement is slower and we eventually get numbers to a contest, back ourselves to win it.

EH had 10 contested possessions and 5 tackles. That style may not suit JJ and may have had an impact in his omission

New style certainly means more contested possessions in the front half. Movement is slower and we eventually get numbers to a contest, back ourselves to win it.

EH had 10 contested possessions and 5 tackles. That style may not suit JJ and may have had an impact in his omission
The goal Hberg got chasing down a Port player highlights the difference between him and Jenkins.

Jenkins was effective in our 2017 style of play with free run from HB where he could run into space and get on the end of it. All credit to him being able to play that role. It is not as easy as it looks.

But Hberg is the man for now with our more contested build up style. I can't recall Jenkins ever running a player down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

First of all this was a great pick up from the OP Good work PeterJ. I hadn't considered this earlier, but it is spot on - we have significantly changed our game plan. I love that we had the courage to do so.

I'm also pleased to see that Pyke has become harder on the playing group. The Jenkins dropping is a significant move. I just hope he has the courage to maintain the course and doesn't revert to type. I do wonder if we would have had the courage to play ROB if Jacobs wasn't injured...doubtful.

I do have one lingering concern from the showdown.

In the last quarter we seemed to go with the old 'good job everyone, games over, take it easy now' approach. We have a s**t habit of doing this and need some real hard-nosed, foot on throat players.
During Port's run on I was very critical of our midfield setup. We didn't man up, didn't play defensive side and let them run around unchecked. Our guys were far too slow to read the change in play and lock down. We just kept going through the motions. Thankfully Sloane stepped up and helped us settle down. I'm hopeful our coaching staff are reviewing our set up in the last quarter and we don't let it happen again. We can't have patches where we get smashed like that.

First of all this was a great pick up from the OP Good work PeterJ. I hadn't considered this earlier, but it is spot on - we have significantly changed our game plan. I love that we had the courage to do so.

I'm also pleased to see that Pyke has become harder on the playing group. The Jenkins dropping is a significant move. I just hope he has the courage to maintain the course and doesn't revert to type. I do wonder if we would have had the courage to play ROB if Jacobs wasn't injured...doubtful.

In the last quarter we seemed to go with the old 'good job everyone, games over, take it easy now' approach. We have a **** habit of doing this and need some real hard-nosed, foot on throat players.
During Port's run on I was very critical of our midfield setup. We didn't man up, didn't play defensive side and let them run around unchecked. Our guys were far too slow to read the change in play and lock down. We just kept going through the motions. Thankfully Sloane stepped up and helped us settle down. I'm hopeful our coaching staff are reviewing our set up in the last quarter and we don't let it happen again. We can't have patches where we get smashed like that.
I think they physically ran out of steam.

Freo game was tough and the Port mids (Boak, SPP and Rocky mainly) pushed our guys physically. I think once the lead got that high the guys coasted a bit.

A bit too early though.

In the last quarter we seemed to go with the old 'good job everyone, games over, take it easy now' approach. We have a **** habit of doing this and need some real hard-nosed, foot on throat players.
That last quarter was more a perfect storm situation. They had a bit of pride on the line (because clearly, they’d stunk it up for three quarters). At the same time, Talia goes down and is off field for 10 minutes getting his nose plugged up. So we had a ”6 goals... easy as lads” approach happening, Talia off, us tiring after last weeks tough game and Paer lifting to create the right conditions for an oppo run on. It just shows you, it doesn’t take much. The pleasing thing was we were able to stem the flow. In recent times, we wouldn’t have done that.

Firstly thanks.

Re the fade out:

I think a few things contributed. Was it coincidence our defensive structure and concentration collapsed right at the Time DT was off being strapped up?

Were we exhausted after a gruelling last game of the round last week? Let the grip slip for a few minutes and gave up momentum?

Port were desperate all night to try and put pace on the game and run at us, when the vice loosened they were off to the races.

I honestly think DT was a massive loss in those 10 mins

I think they physically ran out of steam.

Freo game was tough and the Port mids (Boak, SPP and Rocky mainly) pushed our guys physically. I think once the lead got that high the guys coasted a bit.

A bit too early though.

I certainly agree with this. The 6 day break was always going to play a role and I was expecting to see us run out of legs a bit.
That doesn't account for how we positioned ourselves at a centre bounce though. How many times did SPP get a free roam through a clearance in the last quarter?

Firstly thanks.

Re the fade out:

I think a few things contributed. Was it coincidence our defensive structure and concentration collapsed right at the Time DT was off being strapped up?

Were we exhausted after a gruelling last game of the round last week? Let the grip slip for a few minutes and gave up momentum?

Port were desperate all night to try and put pace on the game and run at us, when the vice loosened they were off to the races.

I 100% agree on DT. His leadership was a massive loss. BUT, that doesn't account for midfield setups.

One of the big problems in that period was that Talia was off with a broken nose. Defence was in complete disarray.
Also we were knackered from a 6 day break after a tough game. Glad we could get our s**t back together at least.
Many teams are experiencing these run ons this year, with the 666 rule it is much harder to stop momentum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly thanks.

Re the fade out:

Bringing Farell and Motlop in for Ollie and Ebert they expected a shoot out.

It is almost as if no one at Port had seen us play in the last few weeks.

Or even read this thread....

Yes
I have never had doubt that Pyke can coach but the two things that still worry a bit

1) We have fairly experienced team at the moment. We have won the last four games but we probably should of won all of them. The one game we have played against a genuine contender who will be there come finals we were beaten.

2) I am not convinced Pyke is a premiership coach. I just don't think he is hard enough. He is a very good coach and we will continue to play finals but I don't think we will win premiership under him.

In the end it comes down to is he getting the best he can from the group. If for example we make a Prelim this year do we extend his contract? Not sure I know the answer yet.

On Pixel using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last-quarter fadeouts are endemic. We did exactly the same against Port and GWS in the JLT. We have done very well in keeping the oppo score well down in quarters 2 and 3, but the energy required has led to the last-quarter problems. Against a good team, we may be in trouble. Also, as I said elsewhere, the main problem is the centre clearances, exacerbated by the 666: we need to seriously address this.

Firstly thanks.

Re the fade out:

In the game day thread at quarter, and half time I remarked that we'd done alot of work for a small lead. I was on edge the whole game and expected the brace of pear goals to come at some point. Then when Lynch kicked the first goal of the last I relaxed. Crisis averted, game over.

That's how they played too.

In the game day thread at quarter, and half time I remarked that we'd done alot of work for a small lead. I was on edge the whole game and expected the brace of pear goals to come at some point. Then when Lynch kicked the first goal of the last I relaxed. Crisis averted, game over.

That's how they played too.
Yeah look, the % issue was damned annoying. We’d kept them to a ridiculous 30 points at 3/4 time.

When we got to over 40 lead with their score so low I’m thinking massive % boost.

Salient lesson - % should never be discussed or talked about in the context of a Showdown

I think this is also having an impact on Betts as well, while there are more crumbing opportunities there are far greater numbers to try and work through, which especially given that he’s lost a yard of pace have have made it far more of a challenge.

Can we please get Jarryd Roughead here to coach the forwards and help tinker the game plan further when he retires at the end of the year

Just look at what he did with the young VFL player yesterday and the quality IP that comes out of Hawthorn

Alistair's fingerprints are everywhere in the AFL (deservedly so) We need to get a piece of that

Yeah look, the % issue was damned annoying. We’d kept them to a ridiculous 30 points at 3/4 time.

When we got to over 40 lead with their score so low I’m thinking massive % boost.

Salient lesson - % should never be discussed or talked about in the context of a Showdown
There's ebbs and flows in footy, so the scoreline and percentage counts in the context of individual matches.

If someone was to tell me prior to the game Crows would win Port by 20 points and a score percentage of 130%, and this happened whilst MCrouch will be off after 1 quarter of footy. I would certainly take it! Whatever else happens, good or bad, are just minor issues in the context of the win.

Can we please get Jarryd Roughead here to coach the forwards and help tinker the game plan further when he retires at the end of the year

Just look at what he did with the young VFL player yesterday and the quality IP that comes out of Hawthorn

Alistair's fingerprints are everywhere in the AFL (deservedly so) We need to get a piece of that
Absolutely no guarantee that Roughead would be half decent as a coach. Yes it was great he was coaching yesterday... but who knows what he said was right?

Absolutely no guarantee that Roughead would be half decent as a coach. Yes it was great he was coaching yesterday... but who knows what he said was right?
I wouldn't just pigeonhole him as a coach either, but I'd say he would be able to impart a lot of knowledge through the squad.

I would be pretty confident Roughy would be saying the right things.
He has a wealth of knowledge that any kid would hang off every word he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back