Whinging about Kardinia Park being narrow. Keep it going, keep it going.

Remove this Banner Ad

I love it, keep it going, it is now really getting into the opponents heads. The game against Hawthorn was proof, they were bragging about how they used witches hats at training to try and match the narrowness. As soon as I heard that I knew they were gone.
They had only been playing VFA / VFL / AFL games there for over 90 years without a mention.
The Sydney Olympic Stadium was exactly the same width and not a single whinge about it, they even played finals there.
Keep the whinging going, I love it.
Much as we have played Grand Finals at the MCG for ever so why do Geelong whinge so much about that?

Yes, smart response because people had formed their entire opinions on just one game at those venues over the weekend and you've now completely just crushed their views.
Well....you state "what bothers people". What people? Supporters of clubs that never had to play at GMHBA until this year? And why do the ground dimensions suddenly bother people? Its obviously not an issue for the AFL

Actually I remember someone went out and measured it years ago and it was 50m.
You can also measure it on google earth and it checks out ok.

Interestingly I get 113m for Kardina Park width on google earth, they currently claim 116m.
Must be why Hawks lost. They placed the cones at 116 metre on the training track. Should have been 113m

It’s really strange how Geelong supporters are so happy and supportive of the GMHBA field dimensions when it does so much more harm to the club than good.

Training and playing on a ground with similar dimensions to the ground finals and the Grand Final are played on would no doubt be the chief catalyst behind turning around that abysmal finals record of the last decade.

Imagine spending the money and redeveloping the majority of the ground and maintaining those dimensions. They had the opportunity to fix it and they didn't. Now it's built in.

It's akin to building Docklands in the wrong direction.

Absolutely destroys the quality of the game.

How did anyone cope with Subiaco then?

Subiaco was 6m wider and 5m longer, which is a significant amount.

To put that in perspective, it's 30% bigger than the size difference of Marvel vs the MCG - with the MCG feeling alot bigger than Marvel.

Subiaco is ALOT bigger than GMHBA.

Last edited:
Agreed, you Geelong supporters should be the ones complaining about your club's increasingly reliance on an odd shaped ground that wont ever be replicated (let alone used) in September to give you cheap wins during H&A at the cost of September success.

Yep. I explained that in my original post which you have just quoted and translated in Richmond jargon.

It's a s**t ground.

Always has been.

It’s actually the best ground.
Hit your head as hard as Dangerfield on any other ground and see how you go. Especially Optus and marvel. Can’t even train on Optus as it’s so ridiculously bad.
It’s also built the right way unlike Marvel.
The stadium itself is also more modern than most especially the Gabba, that place is in major need of an upgrade.

I suspect most people in here don’t get out much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard of Cricket? Much bigger sport then basketsball
Firstly I'd argue it's not a much bigger sport than basketball. Pretty much the entire world plays basketball and is only growing in popularity.
Secondly, we've already established cricket has different size grounds but this is an exception and because of the nature or the sport, being slow, it's not a big deal. No one is really gaining an advantage.

we've already established cricket has different size grounds but this is an exception and because of the nature or the sport, being slow, it's not a big deal. No one is really gaining an advantage.
For more than a century we accepted that the ovals on which Australian football is played are not uniform.

AFL teams play each other on their respective home grounds. They may not play each other twice a year but the AFL tries to even things out over two years. So what’s the big deal then? For me it is one of The things that sets Australian Rules apart from other codes, and I wouldn’t change it

It’s really strange how Geelong supporters are so happy and supportive of the GMHBA field dimensions when it does so much more harm to the club than good.

Training and playing on a ground with similar dimensions to the ground finals and the Grand Final are played on would no doubt be the chief catalyst behind turning around that abysmal finals record of the last decade.

Again, we are 4-5 from our last nine finals at the MCG. Matches played exclusively against other finals (therefore decent) teams

Not exactly ‘scrap everything and start over again with a new training oval to simulate the MCG’ time is it?

Again, we are 4-5 from our last nine finals at the MCG. Matches played exclusively against other finals (therefore decent) teams

Not exactly ‘scrap everything and start over again with a new training oval to simulate the MCG’ time is it?
Can’t see anything that aids a club winning finals and ultimately Grand Finals being a bad thing. 4-5 still isn’t a fantastic record if we’re being honest.

The popular alternate view is that such a uniquely different home field plays a huge part in making finals in the first place. If that’s the case I wouldn’t change a thing as any team needs to obviously make finals first before worrying about winning them.

It’s still not a fantastic record, can’t see anything that aids a club winning finals and ultimately Grand Finals being a bad thing.

The popular alternate view is that such a uniquely different home field plays a big part in making finals in the first place. If that’s the case I wouldn’t change a thing as any team needs to obviously make finals first before worrying about winning them.

Aside from the Perth stadium, we are at least 50 per cent at every ground since our last premiership (when I last checked that figure anyway). Statistically if we never played at KP, if those numbers were extrapolated, we would still make finals most of the time.

I think you would be hard pressed to mount any case that the ground dimensions played a bigger role in our finals defeats than a) the opposition and b) our own apparent inability to actually produce our best footy when it has counted the most in that period.

Yes we couldn’t maintain it but we didn’t seem to have much trouble dealing with the dimensions of the mcg at half time in last year’s prelim. The thing about finals is you are perpetually playing against other good sides so few teams are going to have a hugely skewed winning record beyond their absolute zenith years

Aside from the Perth stadium, we are at least 50 per cent at every ground since our last premiership (when I last checked that figure anyway). Statistically if we never played at KP, if those numbers were extrapolated, we would still make finals most of the time.

I think you would be hard pressed to mount any case that the ground dimensions played a bigger role in our finals defeats than a) the opposition and b) our own apparent inability to actually produce our best footy when it has counted the most in that period.

Yes we couldn’t maintain it but we didn’t seem to have much trouble dealing with the dimensions of the mcg at half time in last year’s prelim. The thing about finals is you are perpetually playing against other good sides so few teams are going to have a hugely skewed winning record beyond their absolute zenith years
Not having big trouble with dimensions per se is very different to being adept or even expert in playing them. I’m not making out like it’s the main reason for the W/L record, however there’s such a fine line between winning and losing in most finals games and we are talking about a playing surface which is vastly different to what’s trained on throughout the year.

If team A trains on and plays more games on a field similar to the one game day is played on they should be a lot better off. Don’t think that’s too much of a radical idea.

Deakin Uni have sorted that out for us. Their footy ground was made to MCG dimensions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back