Whinging about Kardinia Park being narrow. Keep it going, keep it going.

newcs

Club Legend
May 16, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I love it, keep it going, it is now really getting into the opponents heads. The game against Hawthorn was proof, they were bragging about how they used witches hats at training to try and match the narrowness. As soon as I heard that I knew they were gone.
They had only been playing VFA / VFL / AFL games there for over 90 years without a mention.
The Sydney Olympic Stadium was exactly the same width and not a single whinge about it, they even played finals there.
Keep the whinging going, I love it.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I love it, keep it going, it is now really getting into the opponents heads. The game against Hawthorn was proof, they were bragging about how they used witches hats at training to try and match the narrowness. As soon as I heard that I knew they were gone.
They had only been playing VFA / VFL / AFL games there for over 90 years without a mention.
The Sydney Olympic Stadium was exactly the same width and not a single whinge about it, they even played finals there.
Of course you are loving it. Nobody loves to whinge as much as Geelongtime supporters. Honourable mentions go to west sook supporters. They give it a fair suck of the sav.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The only thing I whinge about is the dogs having to go and play there while the “big Melbourne teams” don’t ever have to. It took a ******* pandemic to get one of them down there but at least they got a taste of what we get. Every. *******. Year.

That said, I wouldn’t be relishing it too much. It’s not helping you win finals, there’s a reason why Optus was designed to try and mirror the MCG dimensions.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I think what bothers people is the ground doesn't lead to the best spectacle by it's dimensions, it can really congest play at times, the other query is that it's quite unique to most of the other oval shapes and so it's far less standardised.

Is it a whinge to have that view?

I love it too. All a very nice anomaly to win games down there, but it’s all meaningless as come finals time, Cats are irrelevant.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think what bothers people is the ground doesn't lead to the best spectacle by it's dimensions, it can really congest play at times, the other query is that it's quite unique to most of the other oval shapes and so it's far less standardised.

That is fine but our ground produces an Oscar worth spectacle compared to watching games at the SCG. Thread not needed, there are two others on our ground on the MB alone.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

The spectacle was fine until our opponents didn't show up after half time.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Well this is supposed to be a professional competition now. Really the dimensions of the ground should be identical everywhere. Imagine playing on a different size basketball court every week.
Yes all grounds should be the size of kardinia park. Most grounds are too short and round due to cricket resulting in boring circle work.

ps. Tennis, cricket, baseball, gold all play on either different dimensions or turf. Different dimensions/turf increases the complexity of the game making it more interesting.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Beep wrong. Its the opposite. Geelongs longer thinner ground makes for more direct play and less circle work which is more interesting. The ball doesnt get stuck on the wing as much. It takes more then one kick from the centre to get a goal. Afl is supposed to be a meterage game.

Oakleigh Roo

Debutant
Dec 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Beep wrong. Its the opposite. Geelongs longer thinner ground makes for more direct play and less circle work which is more interesting. The ball doesnt get stuck on the wing as much. It takes more then one kick from the centre to get a goal. Afl is supposed to be a meterage game.
Haha if it’s the opposite than why do opposition points average under 70 points a game there since 06? How is that making it a better spectacle?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Haha if it’s the opposite than why do opposition points average under 70 points a game there since 06? How is that making it a better spectacle?
Cos geelong Have been a top 4 side for basically all that time And we mostly only play interetate teams or bottom 8 teams there. You want to claim its low scoring you look at the combined scores of both teams.

however you also have to factor that geelong has wind issues due to small stands and being close to the ocean which inhibits scoring regardless of dimension.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's great for chariot racing.

Circus-maximus-AncientRome-1.jpg

JM#1

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes all grounds should be the size of kardinia park. Most grounds are too short and round due to cricket resulting in boring circle work.

ps. Tennis, cricket, baseball, gold all play on either different dimensions or turf. Different dimensions/turf increases the complexity of the game making it more interesting.

Tennis has different turf but the dimensions will always be the same and all players have the choice to train on each turf as much or as little as they want. Cricket obviously yes, but it doesn't really affect the game and I can assure you the length of the pitch and the wickets would all the same. Again, with baseball it wouldn't really affect it but I'm sure the diamond would still be a set standard dimension.

Last edited:

Oakleigh Roo

Debutant
Dec 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cos geelong Have been a top 4 side for basically all that time And we mostly only play interetate teams or bottom 8 teams there. You want to claim its low scoring you look at the combined scores of both teams.

however you also have to factor that geelong has wind issues due to small stands and being close to the ocean which inhibits scoring regardless of dimension.
If the wind is such a factor than how does it make it a better spectacle? It’s dog sh*t watching footy down there.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hawthorn were bragging about having witches hats?

Wow, times are tough.

I thought we were meant to be stripping costs out due to Covid ??.

I am all for new-fangled innovations but witches hats have to be something all clubs have access to otherwise it has to be included in Hawthorn’s soft cap.

Likewise, Geelong should be fined for paying less on their lawn mowing bills.

Both clubs clearly rorting the comp.

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Bad spectacle hey? Name the last game you watched at K-Park that was as bad as that rubbish the 2 best Vic sides dished up at the G Thursday night?

Back