Whipping Boy best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread highlights the average age of posters here. I was racking my brain trying to come up with a player from our early premiership years earlier and couldn't find one. Suma certainly copped some flak for inaccurate kicking at times but he still bagged 500 goals. Chris Lewis is probably the one that comes to mind that had incredible talent but got himself suspended in strange ways.

This thread highlights the average age of posters here. I was racking my brain trying to come up with a player from our early premiership years earlier and couldn't find one. Suma certainly copped some flak for inaccurate kicking at times but he still bagged 500 goals. Chris Lewis is probably the one that comes to mind that had incredible talent but got himself suspended in strange ways.

From memory Karl Langdon copped a bit. Obviously our early to mid 90s team was so solid it's hard to pick some from that era.

Not sure if McDougall has been mentioned yet.

Also maybe Ken Judge for coach.

Paul Symmons on the wing and Nick Stone for a half back flank

Seem to recall Jason Ball copping a bit of flack

Paul Symmons on the wing and Nick Stone for a half back flank

Seem to recall Jason Ball copping a bit of flack
Good call on Ball, the chasm between his best and worst was immensely frustrating.

Symmons I recall as one of the better players from a terrible era, certainly a favourite of mine.

Petrie?? The most popular one-season player in our history and I've never heard any Eagles fan with a bad word to say about him.
Yeah, Petrie definitely isn't in the side. Ruck is a tough position for us though. We've had some decent ruckmen through the years. I like the Jason Ball call. Callum Sinclair is another we can throw in the mix.

Jason Ball in the 94 GF looked like he was going to become an unstoppable machine. Never really reached his potential at the Eagles at least. Remember my old man always being frustrated with him. Definitely favourite for the ruck.

Fraser Gehrig end of discussion, this guy in his last year for us gave zero second efforts and for a mountain of a man played like a fairy at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason Ball in the 94 GF looked like he was going to become an unstoppable machine. Never really reached his potential at the Eagles at least. Remember my old man always being frustrated with him. Definitely favourite for the ruck.
Ball really gave me the sh!ts. He'd constantly grab the ball out of the ruck and get immediately tackled (this was before the rule was changed to make that HTB, which was reversed just last year I think). His opponents were just waiting for him to do it.

Fraser Gehrig end of discussion, this guy in his last year for us gave zero second efforts and for a mountain of a man played like a fairy at times.

It's not about good or bad or effort levels, it's about players that aggravate fans rightly or wrongly.

I think whipping boy needs a clearer definition but these players all had a shot at West Coast and a stint at a second club. So talent was there.

These two key position forwards that didn't quite make it despite high draft picks.
- Andrew McDougall (pick 5, 2000 draft)
- Brendan Fewster (pick 3, 1995 draft)

Ben McKinley. Leading goal kicker in those wilderness years.

Chad Morrison and Andrew Williams before Mick took them to Collingwood. Think Chad Rintoul was another.

Phil Read was all muscle and brawn.

From memory Karl Langdon copped a bit. Obviously our early to mid 90s team was so solid it's hard to pick some from that era.

Not sure if McDougall has been mentioned yet.

Also maybe Ken Judge for coach.
Dean Turner, not sure he was ever a whipping boy but he should have been.

That says more about us than it does about the Dish
He looked absolutely cooked at the end of his time at North so it was justified that people were pissed about us recruiting him. To his credit he took our signing as motivation to prove he still had it and ended up turning back the clock while showing genuine passion.

Trent Carroll

Stevan Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back