Opinion Whipping Boys Can Bite Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't been very active on this board for 6 months or so. But I do read a lot.
Some posters make me laugh, some make me feel good, some actually improve my knowledge of the club and or players and others just make me shake my head in frustration more than anything else.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but here's a bit of grand-fatherly advice about expressing that opinion based on the taste of some sweet humble pie.

Many years ago, Collingwood meant just about everything to me.
There was literally nothing else of value in my life.
I wasn't passionate. I was obsessed.
It was the time of the new magpies. Hope quickly soured.
In that environment whipping boys are easy to find and I picked out a couple pretty easily.
Garry Shaw was obvious, but hardly ever played. Mike Richardson copped his fair share of abuse probably for no other reason than my female companion of the time fancied him, but there was one Collingwood player who could do no right in my malevolent eye. His name was Shane Morwood.
I thought he was lazy, slow and lacked courage. I paid my money every week and informed Shane of my considered opinion in no uncertain terms. It got to the point that I lost sight of the game. It was always Morwood's fault that we either lost or didn't win by more.
I was an idiot.
Then I got moved in my job and couldn't go to the footy every week. I doubt if Morwood noticed.
The new magpies disappeared, The Rose's tried to save a sinking ship and a bloke by the name of Leigh Mathews was appointed coach. Shane Morwood was still getting a game. I was still stuck up the country.
I remember the day the Collingwood resurgence that would culminate in a flag several year later began. It was a game against Fitzroy. We blitzed them. I listened on the radio.
The commentators were raving about Morwood and specifically about his vision, coolness under pressure and quickness of thought.
I think many of you'll understand when I say this was a bitter pill for me to swallow. Morwood -my personal whipping boy was starring. I figured it was a one-off.
But it wasn't.
Morwood quickly became a Leigh Matthews favourite and was relied upon for his toughness (The last plank of my early judgement destroyed) as well as his elite kicking, vision, coolness and defensive pressure.
Morwood took his place in the starting 18 in the 1990 premiership side and was his usual cool, reliable self, proving to me that I have NFI when it comes to judging elite footballers.
I have rarely bagged anyone since. Last year, I did question Fasolo and guess what? Two weeks later his depression story emerges.
That's my last lesson learned.
There are whipping boys on this board. We all know who they are.
The truth is that they try their guts out for a club we love. I cannot blame them for my own inadequacies.
One of those whipping boys reminds me very much of Shane Morwoood. The criticisms of him on this board are very similar to the criticisms I made of Shane Morwood 33 years ago. I suspect his story may be very similar- here's hoping

I haven't been very active on this board for 6 months or so. But I do read a lot.
Some posters make me laugh, some make me feel good, some actually improve my knowledge of the club and or players and others just make me shake my head in frustration more than anything else.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but here's a bit of grand-fatherly advice about expressing that opinion based on the taste of some sweet humble pie.

In that environment whipping boys are easy to find and I picked out a couple pretty easily.
Garry Shaw was obvious, but hardly ever played. Mike Richardson copped his fair share of abuse probably for no other reason than my female companion of the time fancied him, but there was one Collingwood player who could do no right in my malevolent eye. His name was Shane Morwood.
I thought he was lazy, slow and lacked courage. I paid my money every week and informed Shane of my considered opinion in no uncertain terms. It got to the point that I lost sight of the game. It was always Morwood's fault that we either lost or didn't win by more.
I was an idiot.
Then I got moved in my job and couldn't go to the footy every week. I doubt if Morwood noticed.
The new magpies disappeared, The Rose's tried to save a sinking ship and a bloke by the name of Leigh Mathews was appointed coach. Shane Morwood was still getting a game. I was still stuck up the country.
I remember the day the Collingwood resurgence that would culminate in a flag several year later began. It was a game against Fitzroy. We blitzed them. I listened on the radio.
The commentators were raving about Morwood and specifically about his vision, coolness under pressure and quickness of thought.
I think many of you'll understand when I say this was a bitter pill for me to swallow. Morwood -my personal whipping boy was starring. I figured it was a one-off.
But it wasn't.
Morwood quickly became a Leigh Matthews favourite and was relied upon for his toughness (The last plank of my early judgement destroyed) as well as his elite kicking, vision, coolness and defensive pressure.
Morwood took his place in the starting 18 in the 1990 premiership side and was his usual cool, reliable self, proving to me that I have NFI when it comes to judging elite footballers.
I have rarely bagged anyone since. Last year, I did question Fasolo and guess what? Two weeks later his depression story emerges.
The truth is that they try their guts out for a club we love. I cannot blame them for my own inadequacies.
One of those whipping boys reminds me very much of Shane Morwoood. The criticisms of him on this board are very similar to the criticisms I made of Shane Morwood 33 years ago. I suspect his story may be very similar- here's hoping

I don't like bagging players very much but unless Blair miraculously grows 10 centimetres or Mayne remembers how to play it's still probably going to happen.

I’ve taken a vow of chastisy about my main not favourite player.

Though I’ve never ever wished he didn’t play well when in the side.

Great thread by the way.

I was an idiot.
But it wasn't.

I remember getting Shane Morwood across from South Melbourne/Swan, he was a favourite of mine, particularly by the '90 season. We had his brother for a short while in the late 80s. The club wasn't in the best of places in those days.

Well penned country pie.

We all forget in the passion of our love for the club that these are young men that have made immense sacrifices. Those of you that have played this game or any other at a high level will understand that beneath the gloss and fanfare are years of commitment to an excellence few in the wider community would have any concept of achieving.

These young men have put it all on the line and regardless of how high they climb few indeed will see anything resembling the payback that their dedication and passion for the game comes close to being repayed. And after it is all over they will pay the price in later years from broken bones, over stressed musculature and sheer wear and tear that most of us won't approach until much later.

Passion.

We all feel it, this club has always stirred it in supporters hearts, and it's wonderful.

So long as we temper it with the realization that we are all fallible and that nobody fails on purpose.

We have all been proven wrong but I think I have been proven right in my assessment of players far more often. It's like the notion of stereotypes. They only begin because a certain number of people in a particular group fit exhibit a recognizable behavior. Stereotypes do not arise out of nowhere. Eg. Bikies are often tough thugs who usually have tatts and wear bandanas. There are always exceptions to be found but that doesn't make the stereotype a myth

It's usually the same with a player who gets a reputation for being soft, slow, a hot head, poorly skilled.... those negative tags only get applied when the crowd see a pattern of behavior exhibited on a regular basis. Why would anyone who loves their team and follows it with passion in hail, rain or hurricanes, simply choose to target a player because they needed someone to unleash their hate upon? No doubt supporters can be brutal and go way over the top, but if the perception of the crowd is that a particular player is soft relative to the others, you can be fairly sure there is a good reason for that perception. Players who go missing in big games always get branded. Is that unfair or is it an accurate observation based on evidence? Players who miss critical goals get the same reputation because they do it time and again. I think we all want to embrace everyone in the black and white. Let's just say some players make it a little hard to do at times!

Steve McKee?
Did McKee break a leg? Gee so much I have forgotten.
No, but Aitken/Atkins or similar rings a bell. I do know that I felt really bad afterwards and have since avoided really getting into whipping a particular player.

Hmm, maybe except for Kinnear:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did McKee break a leg? Gee so much I have forgotten.
No, but Aitken/Atkins or similar rings a bell. I do know that I felt really bad afterwards and have since avoided really getting into whipping a particular player.

Hmm, maybe except for Kinnear:)
There's always a breaking point (no pun intended)

I was an idiot.
But it wasn't.
Outstanding post. One of the better ones I've read around here in quite a while. Hopefully a lot of people read it.

...Let's just say some players make it a little hard to do at times!

They do indeed... but then I remind myself they are doing something very difficult that I never had the skill, determination and will to do myself... they all deserve our support, even if they frustrate us at times...

At the end of the day they all wear or have worn our colours, in Blair's case he is a premiership player and that can't ever be forgotten, however I do understand some of the frustration in today's game but I don't think he is a small forward but more midfield. He plays well there in the VFL gets promoted and then we play him in a defensive forward role.

The guy puts in each week can't ever downplay what that is worth to everyone around him

Great see you back here Countrypie........great thread by the way and I agree to 99.9% of it.

The other .1 % well I will never get over..............

oxley_adam.jpg

I was an idiot.
But it wasn't.
Thanks for sharing, and making us think. Great piece.

At the end of the day they all wear or have worn our colours, in Blair's case he is a premiership player and that can't ever be forgotten, however I do understand some of the frustration in today's game but I don't think he is a small forward but more midfield. He plays well there in the VFL gets promoted and then we play him in a defensive forward role.

The guy puts in each week can't ever downplay what that is worth to everyone around him
Hell yeah Blair frustrates the hell out of me but you know what?

At the end of the day, he is an old style Collingwood player - reminiscent of how the club has represented down through the years since it joined the then VFA.

He undoubtedly has a physique and game that isn't ideally suited to the current game style, but leaves everything out on the park - whether at training or in the game. You can't buy or coach that, it is an inherent trait and a valuable one that should never be downplayed.

If St. Peter came to me and said Blair was nominated to play to save my soul, I would be relieved in that he never gives half measures.

ALWAYS with Jarryd its 110% and no supporter can ask more.

Hell yeah Blair frustrates the hell out of me but you know what?

At the end of the day, he is an old style Collingwood player - reminiscent of how the club has represented down through the years since it joined the then VFA.

He undoubtedly has a physique and game that isn't ideally suited to the current game style, but leaves everything out on the park - whether at training or in the game. You can't buy or coach that, it is an inherent trait and a valuable one that should never be downplayed.

If St. Peter came to me and said Blair was nominated to play to save my soul, I would be relieved in that he never gives half measures.

ALWAYS with Jarryd its 110% and no supporter can ask more.
The Wee Man always stands tall.

I was an idiot.
But it wasn't.
I think you're talking about one Tom Langdon here's hoping .

They do indeed... but then I remind myself they are doing something very difficult that I never had the skill, determination and will to do myself... they all deserve our support, even if they frustrate us at times...

I agree but there are also skills like nailing a goal from 20 metres out which I did on many occasions in my low level career. So I think I am entitled to spit the dummy when someone on a million dollar contract misses these shots on a regular basis and costs the team which I invest so much time and emotion into the four points we desperately need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back