Opinion Whipping Boys Can Bite Back

Remove this Banner Ad

When it was reported that Josh Smith had done his hammy, there were some posters on here who rejoiced at the news. If I ever feel that way it will be the day I stop considering myself a supporter and probably give the game away.

Particularly if you have enough empathy in your body to take the time to look at the person who wears the jumper. Everything I've seen of Josh Smith tells me that he absolutely loves playing footy and he gives his all in everything he does. He seems like a genuinely nice and decent young bloke also.

Like Blair, he gives it 100% at every turn. These boys may not be as gifted as Pendlebury or Martin or Bontempelli, but that just makes their achievements all the more impressive.

To cheer an injury seems heartless, regardless of who you support.

Particularly if you have enough empathy in your body to take the time to look at the person who wears the jumper. Everything I've seen of Josh Smith tells me that he absolutely loves playing footy and he gives his all in everything he does. He seems like a genuinely nice and decent young bloke also.

Like Blair, he gives it 100% at every turn. These boys may not be as gifted as Pendlebury or Martin or Bontempelli, but that just makes their achievements all the more impressive.

To cheer an injury seems heartless, regardless of who you support.
I don’t think cheering for any injury is ever a good thing, even for other teams.

Your point about josh smith is very salient.
He gets every drop out of himself, fantastic attitude. Came from the Qld backwaters so to speak- great story and he’s a decent type.

79 posts and no possum!
I remember being so confident that he was the worst player in the AFL. Quickly became a massive cult hero. Benny Johnson the same.
I wish Ben Sinclair got the chance to prove us all wrong too.
Cracking OP

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My whipping boy is the journo known as Slobbo. And I make no apologies for it.
Needs to be whipped.
He’s not really a journo, as he can’t write properly.

Is a slob.

Hell yeah Blair frustrates the hell out of me but you know what?

At the end of the day, he is an old style Collingwood player - reminiscent of how the club has represented down through the years since it joined the then VFA.

He undoubtedly has a physique and game that isn't ideally suited to the current game style, but leaves everything out on the park - whether at training or in the game. You can't buy or coach that, it is an inherent trait and a valuable one that should never be downplayed.

If St. Peter came to me and said Blair was nominated to play to save my soul, I would be relieved in that he never gives half measures.

ALWAYS with Jarryd its 110% and no supporter can ask more.

Nah sorry JB I'd give my soul away

I never maligned Wright or Maxwell but many did at certain times...Maxwell more than Wright....as there was no internet....or big footy

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

McKeown not the only one unlucky in 1990

Alan Richardson was also unlucky. Allegedly injured although I suspect he was right to go,just omitted.
As was Brian Taylor. His cameo coming off the bench in the drawn QF and kicking two goals in the last quarter saved our season. That ended up being the last game of his career.
Did Alan Richardson have to undergo a Lethal fitness test? I seem to recall he didn't come through that.

Did Alan Richardson have to undergo a Lethal fitness test? I seem to recall he didn't come through that.
The fitness test involved Lethal smashing him from behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s fair to say that Mayne has been a massive whipping boy since arriving. There is a good chance that he will get a chance to bite back soon though.

Hopefully he can draw blood.

I've never been into the whipping boy stuff with Collingwood players. The only ones who I have less regard for is those who maybe get distracted and don't take the most of their chances. Even those ones I always think have all sorts of other issues or motivations in their life so I more wonder how they will feel down the track.

The angst I never understand is about the Blairs and Maxwells of the word. Have always loved Collingwood players who don't leave anything in the tank and just give their all. What more can you ask? I don't get the idea of us nuffies on the sidelines lambasting their lack of ability when they have more ability in their little finger than the poster losing their mind. I hate the losing and when they struggle to contribute to a game but don't understand the personal antipathy. I've seen posters on this board wish players were shot and all sorts of things rather than get another game. Can't feel like that when it comes to Collingwood terriers.

Total agreement re Saint's fans . . . their s...t stain of a club however . . . ANY club who has a thug who king hit a young champion to 'bring him back to the field' on it's honour roll is a disgrace to the competition.

And on there board

They even gave him a nickname

Boo

The fitness test involved Lethal smashing him from behind.
I thought it was a Leigh speciall side on all out bump.

Whatever it was, Richardson didn’t see it coming. Brave man that Lethal.
I don’t think the idea was to play nice, hold hands and whisper sweet nothings.

Suspect it was more about winning grand finals.

Cometh the hour cometh Leigh.

I've never been into the whipping boy stuff with Collingwood players. The only ones who I have less regard for is those who maybe get distracted and don't take the most of their chances. Even those ones I always think have all sorts of other issues or motivations in their life so I more wonder how they will feel down the track.

The angst I never understand is about the Blairs and Maxwells of the word. Have always loved Collingwood players who don't leave anything in the tank and just give their all. What more can you ask? I don't get the idea of us nuffies on the sidelines lambasting their lack of ability when they have more ability in their little finger than the poster losing their mind. I hate the losing and when they struggle to contribute to a game but don't understand the personal antipathy. I've seen posters on this board wish players were shot and all sorts of things rather than get another game. Can't feel like that when it comes to Collingwood terriers.
Extra points for the mixed analogies.

It worked.

I don’t think the idea was to play nice, hold hands and whisper sweet nothings.

Suspect it was more about winning grand finals.

Cometh the hour cometh Leigh.
Great player and coach, but also a gutless thug.

Ahem!!! Rick Mayal was a regular in Blackadder and Bottom was pretty good.

Great post btw.
I will bare it all in mind over the coming season but I know I will just puke everywhere when we play Blair again. I also suspect that there's just something about Langdon that will always give me the shits...

and don't get me started on Adams.... uhoh tooo late...
then there's Adams whose kicking is sub-par for a Bungaree 2nds player... how am I supposed to just cop that lying down every week without venting a little? how? tell me oh sage one? when he's shanking 20m passes under no pressure all game.. how?

One of the frustrations of this team is the very best players have let us down at times...Howe, Pendles, Adams, Sidey, Treloar, Grundy, they are all imperfect, but they all bring a helluva lot of positives to the table too. When our team is better, hopefully the team covers up this weaknesses and makes everyone better.

I haven't been very active on this board for 6 months or so. But I do read a lot.
Some posters make me laugh, some make me feel good, some actually improve my knowledge of the club and or players and others just make me shake my head in frustration more than anything else.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but here's a bit of grand-fatherly advice about expressing that opinion based on the taste of some sweet humble pie.

Many years ago, Collingwood meant just about everything to me.
There was literally nothing else of value in my life.
I wasn't passionate. I was obsessed.
It was the time of the new magpies. Hope quickly soured.
In that environment whipping boys are easy to find and I picked out a couple pretty easily.
Garry Shaw was obvious, but hardly ever played. Mike Richardson copped his fair share of abuse probably for no other reason than my female companion of the time fancied him, but there was one Collingwood player who could do no right in my malevolent eye. His name was Shane Morwood.
I thought he was lazy, slow and lacked courage. I paid my money every week and informed Shane of my considered opinion in no uncertain terms. It got to the point that I lost sight of the game. It was always Morwood's fault that we either lost or didn't win by more.
I was an idiot.
Then I got moved in my job and couldn't go to the footy every week. I doubt if Morwood noticed.
The new magpies disappeared, The Rose's tried to save a sinking ship and a bloke by the name of Leigh Mathews was appointed coach. Shane Morwood was still getting a game. I was still stuck up the country.
I remember the day the Collingwood resurgence that would culminate in a flag several year later began. It was a game against Fitzroy. We blitzed them. I listened on the radio.
The commentators were raving about Morwood and specifically about his vision, coolness under pressure and quickness of thought.
I think many of you'll understand when I say this was a bitter pill for me to swallow. Morwood -my personal whipping boy was starring. I figured it was a one-off.
But it wasn't.
Morwood quickly became a Leigh Matthews favourite and was relied upon for his toughness (The last plank of my early judgement destroyed) as well as his elite kicking, vision, coolness and defensive pressure.
Morwood took his place in the starting 18 in the 1990 premiership side and was his usual cool, reliable self, proving to me that I have NFI when it comes to judging elite footballers.
I have rarely bagged anyone since. Last year, I did question Fasolo and guess what? Two weeks later his depression story emerges.
That's my last lesson learned.
There are whipping boys on this board. We all know who they are.
The truth is that they try their guts out for a club we love. I cannot blame them for my own inadequacies.
One of those whipping boys reminds me very much of Shane Morwoood. The criticisms of him on this board are very similar to the criticisms I made of Shane Morwood 33 years ago. I suspect his story may be very similar- here's hoping

Have I made you laugh re?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back