Whipping boys tracker thread 2018 | Page 4 | BigFooty

Whipping boys tracker thread 2018

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by SydCrow, Mar 12, 2018.

?

Who is your chosen one?

1. David Mackay - good runner, but he's no gunner!

22 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Josh Jenkins - big lump who doesn't bump!

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. Curtly Hampton - skills and errors in equal measures!

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Kyle Hartigan - tall and big but does he know how to kick?

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Andy Otten - versatility without the agility!

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. Other - have I missed anyone else? (has to be a whipping boy shared by several members)

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Sam Gibson - can find the ball, but is that all?

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. CrowsFlag2018

CrowsFlag2018 Suspended

Adelaide

But that part about words being used 'incorrectly' enough that we have to change the definition has a long and storied history in thr English language.

It's actually a bit like footy really. The purists hate the change but at the end of the day, the game is still understood as a contest between two teams to kick a higher score.

Google is no longer just a noun, its a verb. We have whole conversations happening in internet shorthand, god forbid even emojis. It doesn't matter so long as both parties understand.

I think that for most people that understanding is pretty clear as to what this thread was trying to achieve thanks to our good friend context. We actually rely on it a lot to make sense of one of the most nonsensical languages in the world where lots of words and phrases have multiple meanings. Connotations are devastating to the purists but wonderfully exciting at the same time.

But context here tells us that the thread is really about who is going to cop the most heat for their performances this year. There are several clues which lead us to that conclusion and we can safely assume that's how the author intended the phrase to be used. We can see social understanding thanks to the posters who deduced this themselves and have posted from the same angle as the author.

2+2=5 would make no sense you are right but that would require a fundamental overhaul of the entire foundation of mathematics. Taking a more liberal use of a phrase doesn't mean we have to ponder the validity and value of a full stop and start our conventions again. It just means there possibly exists another connotation. But thanks to context we can usually sniff it out.

If the purists were in doubt then they could confirm what was intended but to try and pull someone up on using it as if they are the grammar police is just silly - lots of people got it loud and clear what was being conveyed and so the objective of communication was fulfilled.

I guess this was my epilogue.

John Who likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. John Who

John Who Premiership Player

Adelaide
    It's interesting how we're discussing the depth meaning of "whipping boy", and trying to apply an objectivity definition to what is essentially a subjective opinion regarding players on a footy field. There is no precision in definition to be applied.
    For all intents and purposes, "whipping boy" is someone who continually gets abused by fan(s) more than relative to their deservedness, especially when they played a reasonable game but still gets picked on or abused at.

3. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    I think you'll find many of the whipping boys are actually "whipping boys" going by the correct sense of the word. They are players that are typically held to a higher set of standards than other players.

When Mackay misses a tackle or turns the ball over there are calls for him to be dropped, despite the fact that he did many other useful things (and I'm guilty of that to a certain extent) and got more possessions than many other players. When he plays ok, many posters will point out the one mistake he made, despite other players making several more.

When Jenkins kicks 4 goals, posters will point out that he got some of them out the back, or in junk time, or that he should because he had the 4th best defender on him, or that he should be doing that every game since he's on $500k/year, etc.

So I would argue that these players are "whipping boys" on our forum, at least for quite a few posters.

2+2=5 is no different to the meaning of "literally" being changed so that it can also mean "figuratively", which is basically the opposite of what "literally" actually means.

4. Geoffa32

Geoffa32 Hall of Famer

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    The Autobots and Team America
    Calling it now, Ben Hart as Defensive Coach will vop.some stick this year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jeffcrowe likes this.
  5. jaytex

jaytex Club Legend

Adelaide
    It's a fair point. How do you define anything vaguely subjective though? One person's joke is another person's casual sexism.
    I was just trying to support the notion that the use of the term isn't always applied correctly around here.
    And people who espouse ignorance by rubbishing particular posts debating or challenging meaning really stick in my craw - language is important, the ability to question a premise is important, and the notion that certain types of debates are 'OK' but others are 'rubbish' is the path to China... And nobody in their right mind wants to go there :)

6. Vader

Vader Sith Lord

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Norwood, Adelaide Crows
    I hope Otten plays 2 games - not 1, not 3, or more. Exactly 2.

This would qualify him for F/S selections, (hopefully) without compromising our premiership chances any further than necessary.

7. Bovo

Bovo Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Port Magpies - SNAFL
    I like football

jaytex likes this.
  8. Vooligan

Vooligan Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    I'd like to say Josh Jenkins will be my whipping boy, but I doubt I'll see him play as a I generally don't get to go to too many SANFL games.

9. newbie_kimber

newbie_kimber Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Wigan Athletic
    The scenes when JJ Bradburys a Coleman but finishes 11th in our B&F this year.

10. n4sir

n4sir Team Captain

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Sturt, Miami Dolphins
    I already voted, then thought maybe Brad Crouch would have got it if he was on the list.

Frustrating player to watch - his erratic form swings drive me nuts!

Swooping Crow likes this.
  11. fabs33

fabs33 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Or like the erroneous usage of the word 'laconic' to describe the way someone plays football, which I see occasionally on this board.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot and Sanders like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Sanders

Sanders Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    11th? That’s an improvement for sure

Oddly that combo isn’t impossible either

Vooligan and newbie_kimber like this.
  13. Dujon11

Dujon11 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Bays
    Big fan of Otto, but his lack of pace kills me.

14. newbie_kimber

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Wigan Athletic
    Tex, Kennedy both injured, all it takes is a Buddy injury and JJ is sailing over the finish line

89DC08AF-6DEF-4E38-AB5B-EAEFF71322FF.jpeg

Vooligan, FR0GGY, FAITH and 5 others like this.
  15. BRL121

BRL121 Premiership Player

Adelaide
    I'm right with you. We need that GIF: something like "there is the Queen's English, and then there are errors".
    I've got no problem with the invention of new words (although one might argue that why do we need Google to be a verb when we have search). The slow shift of words to embrace additional meanings is OK too. My main beef relates to usage/spelling/grammar changes that are caused ONLY by repeated blatant errors of the ignorant: these are not OK and need to be corrected by the grammar police.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  16. BRL121

BRL121 Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Doesn't it mean that they don't sledge? ;)

17. Rotayjay

Rotayjay Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Is this the centralised Jenkins thread now?

FR0GGY likes this.
  18. Samcro24

Samcro24 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Can his son even football bra?

19. Ozzie

Ozzie Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Miami Dolphins
    These days to appease the ignorant, we now have guidelines. The rules of English have been replaced by guidelines. I despair of the way English has been high jacked.
    The GIF you referred to actually reads: It's English. Not 'American English'. There is no such thing as 'American English'. There is English, and there are mistakes.

20. newbie_kimber

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Wigan Athletic
    aren't all of them?

Vooligan likes this.
  21. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    “High jacked”?

There is no criminal mastermind to blame, only poor use of English.

22. FR0GGY

FR0GGY Press the button

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    CDFC
    can otten even son bra?

Samcro24 and newbie_kimber like this.
  23. John Who

John Who Premiership Player

Adelaide
    No, there's another thread that's about Kyle Hartigan!

24. oriXon

oriXon Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Patriots, Thunder, Ricciardo
    So many quality whipping boys to choose from.. Can we make the poll multiple choice?

25. Ozzie

Ozzie Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Miami Dolphins
    Wow...suddenly there is a "criminal mastermind" in play here? I refer you to google and ask for language high jacking.