Whirlpool - Over moderated & biased or paragon of Free Speech?

Remove this Banner Ad

This gave me a chuckle.

"Moderators act as unpaid volunteers on many websites, which has sparked controversies and community tensions. On Reddit, some moderators have prominently expressed dissatisfaction with their unpaid labor being underappreciated, while other site users have accused moderators of abusing special access privileges to act as a "cabal" of "petty tyrants".

Last edited:
BigFooty is okay I guess. Some mods like Malifice are a bit touchy. I remember a thread where there was a civil discussion about the perceived athletic advantage of West African sprinters but he banned me from the thread because he disagreed with me - despite the fact that I was posting peer-reviewed journal articles. There are multiple trains of thought from various biological fields but he reeee'd because he liked his theory more than mine. He then continued to badmouth me in the thread after he had banned me from it. A few weeks later he banned me from another thread and badmouthed me after the fact because I was a "troll" - even though I had no broken any posting guidelines.
bigdeal.jpg

I don't know what's sadder. A Whirlpool Mod or a facebook community page admin.

Surely the latter. I say that as a member of two community Facebook groups and not Whirlpool.

Facebook community group mods seem to think they are in charge of the actual community, not moderating an internet discussion about escapee dogs and who heard a siren and where is it going.

Surely the latter. I say that as a member of two community Facebook groups and not Whirlpool.

Facebook community group mods seem to think they are in charge of the actual community, not moderating an internet discussion about escapee dogs and who heard a siren and where is it going.
Yeah I dunno at least they aren't hiding by an anonymous handle on the internet.

The one that does ours is a bit of a peanut with some of the stuff she says but the thing seems to need very little moderation anyway.

I’ve modded a few forums over the years
and BF was the most pleasant experience by far

The user base is internet-savvy enough to understand netiquette, but mainstream enough to avoid most of the toxicity you find in more niche environments. Obviously you have a few peanuts but 99% of the users self-moderate really well

Facebook is a cesspool by comparison, no way I would ever stick my hand up to deal with that crap

Its good on some of the side forums, a really good resource for travel information, also for their lifestyle and education boards.

I go on there for product reviews / advice and recently got some good superannuation info from there.

Good old scanning code of practice. First item free then all others of the same item at the reduced price.

Learned this as a kid. Bought a thing of tennis balls for the dog, scanned at $4 instead of $3 or something. Had the $3 ready and looked confused/sad. Girl said I get it for free because the ticket says $4. Probably spent the $3 on a cup of lollies at Target. As a 10 year old or whatever I was I was just happy with the win, little did I know that 25 years later there would be a whole forum dedicated to such stories.

When scanning first came into being in Victoria, the rules were that it rounded down ie anything with a 1,2,3 or 4 at the end of it rounded down to zero and anything with a 6, 7, 8 or 9 at the end of it rounded down to five. The poor / unemployed / general tight arses would purchase things like grapes and cherries and feed them through one at a time, as each singular one was less than 5c, they would be rounded down and they would get them for free. It only lasted a few weeks from memory before policies were changed.

i only occasionally check whirlpool for advice on certain things like utilities or other net-related issues. i've posted there once or twice but i'm reluctant to start threads and would rather find my issue already solved. i don't have the time or energy to spread my internet life any thinner than it is. and it's not like i'm very prolific anyway.

on one hand i admire whirlpool's dedication to that late 90's aesthetic, but it's too ugly to love too much.

have moderated some other forum once, it's a thankless task and the people you're bossing around are often highly emotive. if you're not power tripping what you're usually doing it for is your dedication to whatever service the admin is providing as moderating a site such as this can't be done by a single person. i can trust myself to be level-headed but i can't be bothered getting up in people's s**t.

i stopped posting on facebook some time ago. it behaves exactly as you'd expect with such a monopoly of users, the scum rises to the top.

I used to frequent the AFL Premiership Season and a few other forums on Whirlpool. The posters are a bunch of vitriolic numpties and the mods there are practically clueless, they will delete posts quick smart citing trolling and off topic when they're not. And don't even mention the "Greens" on political conversations those will be deleted faster than light.

Whirlpool is over moderated and completely biased, so if you want anything more than to just waste time don't go there is my advice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whirlpool.jpg

Have a look this, a thread about asking what a movie was. Don't you dare do the wrong thing or your comment will be removed for trolling. It's a forum for * sake. It's like a detention camp if you step out of line. Sad lives for moderators over there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back