Whirlpool - Over moderated & biased or paragon of Free Speech?

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was at IBM all the old stories about the executive washrooms were true. If I needed a crap I went to the management floor, the toilets there had larger cubicles and proper TP. The other floors all had tiny stalls and Accountant's Friend[tm] brand sandpaper.

Then I went to another IBM location where the cognoscenti brought their own paper to work. What was supplied was industrial-size continuous rolls of shiny single ply stuff, the nearest equivalent would be hamburger wrappers and just as effective. You had to pull out a few miles of the stuff and rip it off on the serrated bottom edge of the holder. I managed to rip furrows across the back of my hand which became massively infected. Brought my own after that.

*ing unbelievable.

I'm a big fan of Whirlpool for the tech side of stuff - especially when I'm in the market for a new PC/TV/monitor/home theatre equipment. There's a lot of knowledgeable guys there and I've gotten some great advice over the years. I used to participate in the gaming lounge maybe a decade or more ago when looking for online games but I've avoided the whole lounge section since then because they're mainly full of braggadocious show-offs or insufferable tight-arses. Simon Wright does seem like a bit of a flog. His attitude and comments about internet forum censorship in the wake of the NZ mosque attacks were as floggish as they come. In over 10 years, I can't recall having a post moderated, or if I have, I don't remember feeling hard done by.

OzBargain is great if you avoid the "comedians". Judging by the usernames and writing style, I have a feeling the site is 90% full of Chinese cheapskates anyway. Nobody on the site is willing to research anything about items and there's a lot of posters lazily asking dumb questions. A site based on give and take is always going to have its drawbacks.

BigFooty is okay I guess. Some mods like Malifice are a bit touchy. I remember a thread where there was a civil discussion about the perceived athletic advantage of West African sprinters but he banned me from the thread because he disagreed with me - despite the fact that I was posting peer-reviewed journal articles. There are multiple trains of thought from various biological fields but he reeee'd because he liked his theory more than mine. He then continued to badmouth me in the thread after he had banned me from it. A few weeks later he banned me from another thread and badmouthed me after the fact because I was a "troll" - even though I had no broken any posting guidelines.

I remember Fred sent me a really abusive PM once which I found hilarious, if not strange. He died not long after so maybe he was just in a bad spot when he wrote it.

Reddit is probably the worst of the bunch because there's a line, every knows what it is, and everyone has to toe it. It makes for a terrible, terrible forum. It's great for pr0n though if you can look past the creepy thread thread titles and even creepier comments.

Actually, NeoGAF is definitely the most over moderated forum ever. Having said that, I don't think I've given them a click in 6 or 7 years so maybe they've changed since then.

Cool post.

Simon Wright does seem like a bit of a flog. His attitude and comments about internet forum censorship in the wake of the NZ mosque attacks were as floggish as they come.

Right on the money there with that observation. Simon Wright is an absolute prize flog.

Actually, NeoGAF is definitely the most over moderated forum ever. Having said that, I don't think I've given them a click in 6 or 7 years so maybe they've changed since then.

They managed to split in half a couple of years back and both GAF and the rebel site, ResetEra, are worse than when they were one.

His attitude and comments about internet forum censorship in the wake of the NZ mosque attacks were as floggish as they come. In over 10 years, I can't recall having a post moderated, or if I have, I don't remember feeling hard done by.

I know it's old thread but what did he say? I can't seem to find it online.

The moderation on WP is a joke. Post anything racist or completely untrue and they leave it but if they construe anything as even the slightest "personal attack", it's deleted.

Aldi is awesome. I was skeptical when it came to Perth (10 years after the rest of the country) that it would just have cheap, imported crap and be a Kmart version of Coles/Woolies. But they have decent stuff, seemingly more local products than Coles/Woolies and it's cheap. Plus you get to walk up the centre aisle and examine the weekly offerings of stuff no one really needs that you wouldn't expect to find in a supermarket.

I have to disagree. After hearing eastern-staters raving about Aldi for years and years, I couldn't believe that they are simply tiny supermarkets filled with the biggest rip-offs of branding.

With the central aisle of bargain bins usually half empty and the dour ladies chucking items down the checkout for you to pack yourself, it has the charm and atmosphere of an East German supermarket in the 70s. Yuck.

They obviously have a good PR team. And people get fooled with the German angle. Because if a department store called "Paldi" came to Australia, and started selling Molo Palph Dauren clothing and Shanel No6 perfume, it would be laughed out straight away.

And in terms of price you get better specials and half price offers at Coles and Woolies.

Quora is the best discussion website.

They obviously have a good PR team. And people get fooled with the German angle. Because if a department store called "Paldi" came to Australia, and started selling Molo Palph Dauren clothing and Shanel No6 perfume, it would be laughed out straight away.

And in terms of price you get better specials and half price offers at Coles and Woolies.

Aldi in Europe is awesome, I find the Australian stores a little disappointing and limited for choice but the frozen food section is pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aldi in Europe is awesome, I find the Australian stores a little disappointing and limited for choice but the frozen food section is pretty good.
Its the little things that are good chocolate, cheese, wine,muesli,sourdough all great quality for a very cheap price

I have to disagree. After hearing eastern-staters raving about Aldi for years and years, I couldn't believe that they are simply tiny supermarkets filled with the biggest rip-offs of branding.

With the central aisle of bargain bins usually half empty and the dour ladies chucking items down the checkout for you to pack yourself, it has the charm and atmosphere of an East German supermarket in the 70s. Yuck.

Each to their own.

I find that Coles and Woolies are mainly just aisle upon aisle of utter s**t. If they consolidated the middle 10 aisles to half that the consumer wouldn't really lose out. If people don't like Aldi because they are rusted on to Omo or Cold Power or Radiant and Aldi only have their version then that is their prerogative.

I don't live near an Aldi so haven't been to one in 6 months or so. Since COVID I've been shopping more at IGA to avoid crowds and the local bakeries because they are small and have better stuff.

I find that Coles and Woolies are mainly just aisle upon aisle of utter sh*t. If they consolidated the middle 10 aisles to half that the consumer wouldn't really lose out. If people don't like Aldi because they are rusted on to Omo or Cold Power or Radiant and Aldi only have their version then that is their prerogative.
Since I moved away from Perth over a decade ago I reckon Woolies and Coles have changed so much and for the worse.

The moderation on WP is a joke. Post anything racist or completely untrue and they leave it but if they construe anything as even the slightest "personal attack", it's deleted.
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but have to add my voice to the growing list of disgruntled Whirlpool users. The over the top moderation on that site is just comical. The so called moderators are nothing but a bunch of over the top grand standing attention seekers on constant power trips. Their justification for deleting some of the posts is just ridiculous. There are much better forums out there including obviously this one. :D

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but have to add my voice to the growing list of disgruntled Whirlpool users. The over the top moderation on that site is just comical. The so called moderators are nothing but a bunch of over the top grand standing attention seekers on constant power trips. Their justification for deleting some of the posts is just ridiculous. There are much better forums out there including obviously this one. :D
You obviously haven't spent any time on the SRP lmao.

Never posted anything on Whirlpool but read it a bit, often pretty useful.

You obviously haven't spent any time on the SRP lmao.

Never posted anything on Whirlpool but read it a bit, often pretty useful.
Whirlpool is great when you're lurker and not actively posting. But once you become a poster, it just becomes frustrating when discussions are over-moderated and posts get deleted.

OP starts thread about over moderation on another forum and is currently suspended on this forum.

Moderators here are just as bad. Combine power trip with anything and its never good. But is there a forum anywhere where this doesnt happen ?

If its not illegal it should stay. If people care they can shoot down the stupidity. But the ability and urge to impose themselves is too great.

Particularly if their real world life is dull or depressing. Or both.

OP starts thread about over moderation on another forum and is currently suspended on this forum.

Moderators here are just as bad. Combine power trip with anything and its never good. But is there a forum anywhere where this doesnt happen ?

If its not illegal it should stay. If people care they can shoot down the stupidity. But the ability and urge to impose themselves is too great.

Particularly if their real world life is dull or depressing. Or both.

Suspension finished but still banned from the Bay 13 thread in question.

I'd wandered into a virtue signalling thread where the OP started his thread with 'Get jabbed flogs' (IOW - I've just had mine so go and get yours pronto). The OP then updated us the following day revealing he'd been in bed all day following the jab. Since I happen to know someone who had to be placed into an induced coma after their reaction, his plea for sympathy fell on deaf ears. So I responded with #36.

The fact that such a serious and off topic thread shouldn't even be in Bay 13 also didn't help. Having said all that though, after recently talking to the OP by PM there were other things that I wasn't aware of when I posted. Had I known at the time it would have changed my tone entirely. As bad as the moderation can get here at times it doesn't come anywhere close to the bullshit that goes on at Whirlpool (at least, not yet).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back