A Vote for Clive is a Vote for Justice
Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Didnt see one

So after being a beer rep for a couple of years and leaving that industry, It's given me time to go back to one of my first loves in Irish Whiskeys. (basically because my job title means i dont have to drink about 7 different beers a day)

My pallet is still getting used to whats happening, But whats your favourite whisk(e)y

I dont want to be snobby, We're going to add american Whisky/Bourbon into this thread as well

What have you tried lately? Whats great value? What are us general plebs missing out on?

Im stuck between the Highland park 12 and the Jameson Cask Stout. Absolutely two different things but man i feel they are peak of what they are trying to do

The Jameson is this sweet, slightly spicy, creamy almost sweet coffee. just beutiful stuf.

The highland park 12 just recently got released into the Viking range. It's this slightly sweet, Slightly smoked. However it's not too complex either.

What are you enjoying right now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

craigos

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Didnt see one

So after being a beer rep for a couple of years and leaving that industry, It's given me time to go back to one of my first loves in Irish Whiskeys. (basically because my job title means i dont have to drink about 7 different beers a day)

My pallet is still getting used to whats happening, But whats your favourite whisk(e)y

I dont want to be snobby, We're going to add american Whisky/Bourbon into this thread as well

What have you tried lately? Whats great value? What are us general plebs missing out on?

Im stuck between the Highland park 12 and the Jameson Cask Stout. Absolutely two different things but man i feel they are peak of what they are trying to do

The Jameson is this sweet, slightly spicy, creamy almost sweet coffee. just beutiful stuf.

The highland park 12 just recently got released into the Viking range. It's this slightly sweet, Slightly smoked. However it's not too complex either.

Last purchase was this from Duty Free. Can't remember what it cost but was <$100 and is one of my favourite purchases of whisky as of late. Agree with the Jameson Cask Stout, is a ripper.

Sylvia Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Canadian Club if I'm mixing. (I know aficionados will scoff at this but still gonna mention it!)

Glenfiddich aged 18 years if I want to celebrate.

Chivas Regal aged 12 years for good bang for buck.

adammania9

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Canadian Club if I'm mixing. (I know aficionados will scoff at this but still gonna mention it!)

Glenfiddich aged 18 years if I want to celebrate.

Chivas Regal aged 12 years for good bang for buck.
The differences in taste with whiskies is marginal when mixing I find. Canadian Club is also my favourite to mix with.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Didnt see one

Jameson sounds awesome. I've never had it. Going to have to buy some now.

ash_1050

Club Legend
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
As others have said CC if mixing with coke. I prefer JD but the price difference doesn't justify the slightly better taste.

My staple go to whiskys are Talisker 10 and Dalwhinnie 15.

Recently when to a Glenmorangie Signet tasting experience which was excellent, a really nicely rounded yearless whisky.

Has anyone tried or had much experience with Tasmanian, Melbourne or Sydney based whiskeys?

Upgrayedd

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
^^^

Starward do some good stuff. They had a whisky/bourbon blend which was great.

Also limeburners in WA is good. Pricey but understandable. The tigersnake Rye was great. They had a sherry cask finish whisky which was awesome.

PoppedCorn

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
West Ham 76ers
I've got most of the Jamos
Normal, 15, 18 yo
The cask edition, , the black barrel
Plus the blenders dog, Cooper's croze, distillers safe although I've never tasted those 3
Got the red breast and now chasing the lustau

If I'm gonna have a schlook it'll be normal jamo

craigos

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
As others have said CC if mixing with coke. I prefer JD but the price difference doesn't justify the slightly better taste.

My staple go to whiskys are Talisker 10 and Dalwhinnie 15.

Recently when to a Glenmorangie Signet tasting experience which was excellent, a really nicely rounded yearless whisky.

Has anyone tried or had much experience with Tasmanian, Melbourne or Sydney based whiskeys?
Hellyers Road is good at a reasonable price with a few varieties and easily found in most bottle shops.

This is by far the best Australian whiskey I've had though, well worth the price tag.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Pretty happy with my collection, got some bottles bought overseas too that you can't find here as well.

Got quite a few Japanese ones that are limited, some rare South Korean ones, a white whiskey, and then some stuff from here that I like, Laphroig, Amrut Fusion, Glenfiddich, Hibiki 17, Yamazaki,

I don't have any good Australian bottles, that will be next on the list to get something made here, probably one of the Tassie ones.

Chivas Regal or Monkey Shoulder are probably my favorite for the < $50 stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

00Stinger

Duel Group 1 winner
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
^^^

Starward do some good stuff. They had a whisky/bourbon blend which was great.

Also limeburners in WA is good. Pricey but understandable. The tigersnake Rye was great. They had a sherry cask finish whisky which was awesome.
Starward is a bloody good drop.

Moved their distillery from Esssendon fields to port Melbourne over the last few years I think

Upgrayedd

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Had the 23rd distillery hybrid whiskey

200ml bottle at liquorland for 15 if you spend 20 or over. Absolute value

Upgrayedd

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Pretty happy with my collection, got some bottles bought overseas too that you can't find here as well.

Got quite a few Japanese ones that are limited, some rare South Korean ones, a white whiskey, and then some stuff from here that I like, Laphroig, Amrut Fusion, Glenfiddich, Hibiki 17, Yamazaki,

I don't have any good Australian bottles, that will be next on the list to get something made here, probably one of the Tassie ones.

Chivas Regal or Monkey Shoulder are probably my favorite for the < $50 stuff.
Don't think there is much better value with monkey shoulder at 50. Great stuff

Top Bottom