Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Didnt see one

So after being a beer rep for a couple of years and leaving that industry, It's given me time to go back to one of my first loves in Irish Whiskeys. (basically because my job title means i dont have to drink about 7 different beers a day)

My pallet is still getting used to whats happening, But whats your favourite whisk(e)y

I dont want to be snobby, We're going to add american Whisky/Bourbon into this thread as well

What have you tried lately? Whats great value? What are us general plebs missing out on?

Im stuck between the Highland park 12 and the Jameson Cask Stout. Absolutely two different things but man i feel they are peak of what they are trying to do

The Jameson is this sweet, slightly spicy, creamy almost sweet coffee. just beutiful stuf.

The highland park 12 just recently got released into the Viking range. It's this slightly sweet, Slightly smoked. However it's not too complex either.

What are you enjoying right now?

Didnt see one

So after being a beer rep for a couple of years and leaving that industry, It's given me time to go back to one of my first loves in Irish Whiskeys. (basically because my job title means i dont have to drink about 7 different beers a day)

My pallet is still getting used to whats happening, But whats your favourite whisk(e)y

I dont want to be snobby, We're going to add american Whisky/Bourbon into this thread as well

What have you tried lately? Whats great value? What are us general plebs missing out on?

Im stuck between the Highland park 12 and the Jameson Cask Stout. Absolutely two different things but man i feel they are peak of what they are trying to do

The Jameson is this sweet, slightly spicy, creamy almost sweet coffee. just beutiful stuf.

The highland park 12 just recently got released into the Viking range. It's this slightly sweet, Slightly smoked. However it's not too complex either.

Last purchase was this from Duty Free. Can't remember what it cost but was <$100 and is one of my favourite purchases of whisky as of late. Agree with the Jameson Cask Stout, is a ripper.
glenfiddich-select-cask-travel-retail-whisky.jpg

Canadian Club if I'm mixing. (I know aficionados will scoff at this but still gonna mention it!)

Glenfiddich aged 18 years if I want to celebrate.

Chivas Regal aged 12 years for good bang for buck.

Canadian Club if I'm mixing. (I know aficionados will scoff at this but still gonna mention it!)

Glenfiddich aged 18 years if I want to celebrate.

Chivas Regal aged 12 years for good bang for buck.
The differences in taste with whiskies is marginal when mixing I find. Canadian Club is also my favourite to mix with.

Didnt see one

Jameson sounds awesome. I've never had it. Going to have to buy some now.

As others have said CC if mixing with coke. I prefer JD but the price difference doesn't justify the slightly better taste.

My staple go to whiskys are Talisker 10 and Dalwhinnie 15.

Recently when to a Glenmorangie Signet tasting experience which was excellent, a really nicely rounded yearless whisky.

Has anyone tried or had much experience with Tasmanian, Melbourne or Sydney based whiskeys?

^^^

Starward do some good stuff. They had a whisky/bourbon blend which was great.

Also limeburners in WA is good. Pricey but understandable. The tigersnake Rye was great. They had a sherry cask finish whisky which was awesome.

As others have said CC if mixing with coke. I prefer JD but the price difference doesn't justify the slightly better taste.

My staple go to whiskys are Talisker 10 and Dalwhinnie 15.

Recently when to a Glenmorangie Signet tasting experience which was excellent, a really nicely rounded yearless whisky.

Has anyone tried or had much experience with Tasmanian, Melbourne or Sydney based whiskeys?
Hellyers Road is good at a reasonable price with a few varieties and easily found in most bottle shops.

This is by far the best Australian whiskey I've had though, well worth the price tag.

f2d89a05946eb291f37a2b1374cd63d4.jpeg.pagespeed.ce.BuTRj7ynce.jpg

Pretty happy with my collection, got some bottles bought overseas too that you can't find here as well.

Got quite a few Japanese ones that are limited, some rare South Korean ones, a white whiskey, and then some stuff from here that I like, Laphroig, Amrut Fusion, Glenfiddich, Hibiki 17, Yamazaki,

I don't have any good Australian bottles, that will be next on the list to get something made here, probably one of the Tassie ones.

Chivas Regal or Monkey Shoulder are probably my favorite for the < $50 stuff.

^^^

Starward do some good stuff. They had a whisky/bourbon blend which was great.

Also limeburners in WA is good. Pricey but understandable. The tigersnake Rye was great. They had a sherry cask finish whisky which was awesome.
Starward is a bloody good drop.

Moved their distillery from Esssendon fields to port Melbourne over the last few years I think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty happy with my collection, got some bottles bought overseas too that you can't find here as well.

Got quite a few Japanese ones that are limited, some rare South Korean ones, a white whiskey, and then some stuff from here that I like, Laphroig, Amrut Fusion, Glenfiddich, Hibiki 17, Yamazaki,

I don't have any good Australian bottles, that will be next on the list to get something made here, probably one of the Tassie ones.

Chivas Regal or Monkey Shoulder are probably my favorite for the < $50 stuff.
Don't think there is much better value with monkey shoulder at 50. Great stuff

On 2 recent trips to Japan i have picked up a few cheapies
- Yamazaki distillers reserve ( about $80 aud ) so pretty good value, obviously a great drop.
- Kurayoshi 17 - pretty good, a bit cheaper than the Yamazaki above. I was surprised it wasn’t better for a 17...
- Suntory AO - not worth bringing home
- The Nikka Tailored - awesome value at about 6000 jpy. Still drinking this one.

I dont think i have any genuine scotch at the moment but have just ordered a couple of Tassie whiskies for Father’s Day and birthday for the kids to give me. I went to a Hawks Corporate function recently and pigged out on the Tassie stuff - Hobart Whisky and Spring Bay my favourites, but Overeem and Launceston were great too.

On 2 recent trips to Japan i have picked up a few cheapies
- Yamazaki distillers reserve ( about $80 aud ) so pretty good value, obviously a great drop.
- Kurayoshi 17 - pretty good, a bit cheaper than the Yamazaki above. I was surprised it wasn’t better for a 17...
- Suntory AO - not worth bringing home
- The Nikka Tailored - awesome value at about 6000 jpy. Still drinking this one.

I dont think i have any genuine scotch at the moment but have just ordered a couple of Tassie whiskies for Father’s Day and birthday for the kids to give me. I went to a Hawks Corporate function recently and pigged out on the Tassie stuff - Hobart Whisky and Spring Bay my favourites, but Overeem and Launceston were great too.
Japan do great stuff, 1 bottle I have is worth 600 online now, bought it for about 250. Haven't opened it, because it might be worth a bit in a while.

Japan do great stuff, 1 bottle I have is worth 600 online now, bought it for about 250. Haven't opened it, because it might be worth a bit in a while.
Those prices are mad - but I'm sure it's tempting to sell. I'm hopeless and have to open them as soon as I get them.....
Don't hang on too long as I think the Suntory distilleries are in the process of ramping up production Over the next 2 years..

Those prices are mad - but I'm sure it's tempting to sell. I'm hopeless and have to open them as soon as I get them.....
Don't hang on too long as I think the Suntory distilleries are in the process of ramping up production Over the next 2 years..
I'm a bit of both. Certainly drink some of my good stuff, but there's a few bottles I'm saving either for a great occasion like birth of a first child or otherwise use it as an investment and sell it down the track.

Isle of Jura superstition is my favourite,Jura have also released four newer ones that I haven’t seen in the bottleshops here yet.

Great Father’s Day present today - Hobart Whiskey..

Awesome drop - but for special occasions only. I’ll only have one of them in a lifetime.

I very much enjoy bourbon whiskey.

For miscellaneous mixing I like Jack Daniels (technically not bourbon, but you know), Maker’s Mark or Wild Turkey. CC sometimes, too, as it is almost always good value.

For sipping neat I love trying different ones... currently working through a bottle of Knob Creek Small Batch. On the top shelf are a couple of bottles I bought in the States, Michter’s US*1 and Angel’s Envy. Looking forward to those.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back