Fremantle
I am just a barbarian into heavy metal:

zbjudjsy.png

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
Had an underwheling experince with Japanese Whisky a few years ago so im steering clear of it until ?

But I'm into Either aged 20 Year Canadian Club Whiskey
Woodfords Res. and the Woodford Double Oaked Bourbon.
IN terms of Irish i really like the Bushmils 10 year, But after trying the

10 Year Ardbeg, and its blows everything off the park. I love the smoky peaty ness (Having said that from about 17 i never really liked scotch. Johny Walker crap just didnt taste as good as Beam or CC. Young and unrefined palate!) Now i really like a Peaty scotch that feels like ive smoked Potent Cigar.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
I noticed you mentioned this one on the last page. I’m curious. Why don’t you normally like Islay whiskey? I’ve drank a lot of standard stuff but trying to vary things. Any recommendations for that peaty/smoky style?

Peat/smoke isn't my preferred style of whisky, which presumably has something to do with not being a fan of stouts either. I'd much rather something softer, however trying to branch out a bit more into Islay whiskies as I can appreciate there's plenty to love with them. Ardbeg 10 is the current in thing for Islay whiskies, definitely worth a crack if you're looking for something similar. Alternately the tried and true Talisker 10 is a good entry level Islay whisky.

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Peat/smoke isn't my preferred style of whisky, which presumably has something to do with not being a fan of stouts either. I'd much rather something softer, however trying to branch out a bit more into Islay whiskies as I can appreciate there's plenty to love with them. Ardbeg 10 is the current in thing for Islay whiskies, definitely worth a crack if you're looking for something similar. Alternately the tried and true Talisker 10 is a good entry level Islay whisky.

Thanks! I appreciate that. A beginner question here but is there a certain geography to different styles? In the past I mostly stuck to Irish (Bushmills, Tullamore Dew and Jameson). Things seem more varied from Scotland.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Thanks! I appreciate that. A beginner question here but is there a certain geography to different styles? In the past I mostly stuck to Irish (Bushmills, Tullamore Dew and Jameson). Things seem more varied from Scotland.

There are 5 regions in Scotland, each known for their own style of whisky and subtitles in flavours. Islay is the most distinct of the bunch with it's peat/smoke offerings, although Speyside whiskies are probably the most well known. A quick 5 minute synopsis of Scotch regions can be found here.

If you like Irish whisky definitely check out Redbreast 12, it's head and shoulders the best Irish whiskey out there IMO.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Got given a bottle Auchentoshen American single malt as a gift. Having some now. Pretty average, bit dirty on the pallet IMO. Drinkable but wouldn't recommend.

Popped The Glenallachie 15 year old a few weeks ago and it is definitely one of the slickest I've tried. $130 thru the whisky club. Worth the price.

Also I highly recommend sampling a Connemara peated single malt if you like that smokiness in peated whisky. Only about $70 but I'm savouring it! Delicious.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
whisky.png

Snapped up a couple of bottles of the Archie Rose single malt that went on sale yesterday and sold out same day. Looking forward to giving it a crack, as their Rye whisky was bloody good for such a young whisky.

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Q. Reasoning why whiskey is spelt with and without an E. ?

I am not a whiskey drinker am just curious. Fwiw i prefer the E version

Whisky with an 'e' is just generally the spelling from USA and Ireland. Irish Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, Bourbon Whiskey, Scotch Whisky.

Aug 31, 2012
Pining for the fjords
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
******* stupid game
Another one to add to the incredibly good pile, Redbreast 12. Allegedly it's better than it's 15 year old companion.

View attachment 927502

I love the Redbreast. I've got a bottle each of the 12yo, 12yo cask strength, 15yo and the Lustau. IMO, the 15yo is maginally better than the 12, but the price difference isn't marginal so the 12yo is definitely better value. I've never tried the 21yo.

View attachment 973232

Snapped up a couple of bottles of the Archie Rose single malt that went on sale yesterday and sold out same day. Looking forward to giving it a crack, as their Rye whisky was bloody good for such a young whisky.

Me too! I loved the Rye so put name down for the ballot for the 1st batch of the single malt. A great drop. If you live close by you should get down to Rosebery and see their setup. Mrs NB really likes their gins.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
If its not full of peat/smoke then you may as well drink a Pink bubbly drink with the girls.

Why not add an age condition on it as well, if it's less than 15 years old it may as well be classified as tea. And it needs to be from Scotland of course, otherwise it may as well be labelled imitation whisky. Or it can only be distilled by a distiller who has a beard, otherwise it's a gay whisky. At what point does the gatekeeping end?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Why not add an age condition on it as well, if it's less than 15 years old it may as well be classified as tea. And it needs to be from Scotland of course, otherwise it may as well be labelled imitation whisky. Or it can only be distilled by a distiller who has a beard, otherwise it's a gay whisky. At what point does the gatekeeping end?
With you to the beard comment.

Back