Rumour Pleasantries From The Plungie Pool - 2023 Rumours (SUNS Posters ONLY!*)

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't help but notice rumour threads on other club boards and feel like we're missing out to some degree, especially considering the off season has just begun for us. I know we've had issues with rumour threads on our board in the past but I think the main issue was that we had people from other clubs coming in just to troll us so I've decided to add the 'SUNS Posters ONLY!' tag just to keep any kind of trolling to an absolute minimum. I've also added an asterisk there for trusted posters on our board such as Jen2310 to get involved in this thread as well. Our ITK (In The Know) poster is generally eppo67 so keep an eye out for his posts in this thread if you're looking for credible information. Trolling will not be tolerated in this thread and above all else, let's have some good discussions + keep things productive in this thread.

Okay, now that we've set the parameters of this thread, let's get to the rumours that are doing the rounds at the moment.

RUMOUR 1 - CLARKO

First up is Alastair Clarkson. I know Clarko has said he wants to have 2022 off but only a few weeks ago he said he was going to be coaching Hawthorn in 2022 so obviously his plans aren't as concrete as some statements would have you believe. As we all know, the rumour of the last month or so was that we were courting Clarkson to join us and that was confirmed tonight on Footy Classified:

I think it's really important to note a few things here. Firstly, Clarkson has officially said no to becoming the head coach of Collingwood AND Carlton but only said no to taking up a director of coaching role with us. As far as we're aware, we have not yet offered him the head coaching role and therefore we don't know the answer to that question should it come up over the next few weeks. Caro suggested last week that the AFL is very frustrated with our situation and may go over Mark Evans' head if he is not to act in the next few weeks but you'd have to assume nothing will be done until after our Club Champion night in a week and a half from now. So it could be a very interesting few weeks coming up when it comes to our head coaching position.

RUMOUR 2 - GENERAL MANAGER OF FOOTBALL/ASSISTANT COACHES

It should probably also be mentioned that our general manager of football John Haines is apparently also under the pump and could be replaced soon by Tristan Salter, Wayne Campbell or Craig Cameron according to reports. We've also been linked with Michael Voss moving to our club as an assistant coach.

RUMOUR 3 - TRADE/FREE AGENCY TARGETS

So we're officially chasing free agent Luke Dunstan as of this afternoon:

Another rumour our of Adelaide from a few weeks ago suggested that a "big name player" from Port Adelaide was heading our way this off season. Some on our board are convinced it's free agent Hamish Hartlett and more optimistic onlookers think there's a chance we're going to trade for a guy like Charlie Dixon who may be interested in returning home to QLD.

We were linked to Levi Casboult last week.

We've been linked to Richmond pair Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol a few times this year but it's possible that interest has cooled. We were also linked to Fremantle's Rory Lobb earlier in the season.

Another free agent that could come into play for us this off season may be Luke Parker but nothing has officially linked us to him at this stage.

RUMOUR 4 - RE-SIGNING OUR YOUNG TALENT

So the rumour is that there is a lot of confidence internally that Ben King will put pen to paper this summer to stay with us long term on a big deal. Obviously we're going to have to offer Kingy huge money this time around and I think his signature is the most important one when it comes to retaining our young talent next year because we know he's close with Luko. I think we'll also see Touk officially sign his long term deal over the summer as well. We'll have to get going on re-signing Lukosius and Rankine next year.

Okay I think that's enough to get this thread started!

I found it interesting that Evans wanted Clarko as a mentor/director of coaching. That wouldn't really suit him. But lets see in 12 months time, see what Clarko wants to do and where the suns are at at that point (They really should be finals bound or close to it, that should be the expectation).

Hate these threads, encourages flogs from other boards to come be dicks
That's why I made it clear that it's for SUNS Posters ONLY*. If they post, they will be removed/banned.

This thread is for our fans and shouldn't contain trolling.

I found it interesting that Evans wanted Clarko as a mentor/director of coaching. That wouldn't really suit him. But lets see in 12 months time, see what Clarko wants to do and where the suns are at at that point (They really should be finals bound or close to it, that should be the expectation).
I thought it was strange as well. Surely Mark Evans would have been well aware of the fact that Clarko wouldn't be interested in a role like that. Are we just buying time for next year if things go pear shaped?

We at least know the club has spoken to Clarkson now. They wouldn't even confirm that last week even though in reality we've probably been speaking to him for over a month.

Like this. Especially the trades etc all the players we have been linked with! LINKED through media reports not suggested by fans though!

Under serious pressure from his chairman Tony Cochrane and AFL chief Gillon McLachlan, Evans knows he has to make changes at the Suns before head office makes them for him. Frankly, it is mystifying that McLachlan’s team has not stepped in before now.

Evans must have known even before he contacted Alastair Clarkson’s management about 10 days ago that the prospect of the four-time premiership coach taking on a mentoring role of the embattled Stuart Dew was as unlikely as it would have proved unhelpful.

Clarkson is a senior coach, not a coaches’ helper, and his presence would have only eroded Dew’s already tenuous standing. Perhaps the approach was prodded by genuine pressure from the AFL starting to kick in.
Interesting quote here. Perhaps Evans approached Clarko for a role he knew he would turn down just to keep the AFL at bay for now and buy another year for Dew?

If the club seems to have reached a decision on the head of football, the senior coach seems line ball with the prospect of Clarkson at the end of a one-year break being available as Dew’s current contract is completed. Frankly, if the club has enough doubts about Dew then to wait another year seems untenable.
I tend to believe this would be the case. The board are likely 50/50 on whether they should keep Dew right now.

The Suns have also offered Michael Voss its vacant midfield coaching role...
So the offer is on the table for Voss. Hopefully he accepts as he'd be a very valuable asset for us.

Interesting quote here. Perhaps Evans approached Clarko for a role he knew he would turn down just to keep the AFL at bay for now and buy another year for Dew?

I tend to believe this would be the case. The board are likely 50/50 on whether they should keep Dew right now.

So the offer is on the table for Voss. Hopefully he accepts as he'd be a very valuable asset for us.
If Clarkson is on the table I don't understand how keeping Dew another year helps anything other than the chance we start winning and make finals.
Then if our players contracts are redone and everyone is happy we probably don't need Clarkson anyway
This scenario is obviously the one the Suns Management is backing in
The AFL may be looking in saying"Where's the evidence things are going to change and how do you retain your players that make the whole thing work anyway?"

The AFL may be looking in saying"Where's the evidence things are going to change and how do you retain your players that make the whole thing work anyway?"
And this is where Mark Evans likely responded by saying I'll offer Clarko a position, despite knowing he was always going to decline it. In reality, they probably asked Evans the question months ago when we lost to North Melbourne and he seemingly started an internal review by sitting in the coaches box amongst other things.

I suppose it'll just come down to whether the AFL is willing to be patient and give Dew another year or if they feel they have to act right now and go over our board to force the sacking of Dew. You'd only do it if you knew Clarko was guaranteed to take over but there is cause for optimism when you look at the recent reports of Clarko being open to coaching Carlton just a few days ago. This means within the last week Clarko genuinely thought about coaching next year and that obviously opens the door for us. Either way, we'll have to wait until after our Club Champion ceremony in 8 days from now.

Another factor at play is the impending addition of another NRL team in south east QLD. The AFL know they need to get it right on the Gold Coast soon.

Last edited:
If Clarkson is on the table I don't understand how keeping Dew another year helps anything other than the chance we start winning and make finals.
Then if our players contracts are redone and everyone is happy we probably don't need Clarkson anyway
This scenario is obviously the one the Suns Management is backing in
Clarkson is not coaching ANYWHERE next year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m hearing Craig Cameron is trawling through the Hawks list for Clarksons fav players.

Trying to trade them in this season for either a late pitch post trade period
or to make the position look better for 2022

SO IM TOLD
Any word on who we might be chasing from Hawthorn? A guy like O'Brien could be useful as a secondary key forward behind King.

Will Day would be a nice pick up too.

Had a play on photoshop to see how this Charlie Dixon guy looks in a suns guernsey.
EC483653-E0AE-47AF-87B7-2F19D3C8AAE0.jpeg

The rumour regarding Dunstan has legs. You and Carlton are front runners.
Was happy to go to Adleiade last year - but they sort of screwed him over, so despite their interest this year, hes not currently keen, despite them coming for him again.

Grew up a Port supporter but I cant see any mutual interest at this point based on list balance (despite Port originally intending to draft him in his draft year).

One 'minor' concern I would have on him is he appears to have had 'issues' with two senior coaches now - ie not been a fan of them, is it the coaches or is it him.
You obviously can't read where it says Gold Coast posters only.

RUMOUR 4 - RE-SIGNING OUR YOUNG TALENT

So the rumour is that there is a lot of confidence internally that Ben King will put pen to paper this summer to stay with us long term on a big deal. Obviously we're going to have to offer Kingy huge money this time around and I think his signature is the most important one when it comes to retaining our young talent next year because we know he's close with Luko. I think we'll also see Touk officially sign his long term deal over the summer as well. We'll have to get going on re-signing Lukosius and Rankine next year.

He's a lot closer to his twin brother Max.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back