Rumour Pleasantries From The Plungie Pool - 2023 Rumours (SUNS Posters ONLY!*)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m stoked with how things seem to be going.

And you can see the only way is up.

But man, I’m starting to get a sense of how hard it is to make finals and go deep into September.

Have never been in the position to even think about it. Will be a whole new phase of fandom from here.

But man, I’m starting to get a sense of how hard it is to make finals and go deep into September.

Have never been in the position to even think about it. Will be a whole new phase of fandom from here.
The fact that we could be disappointed on missing out on finals this season as a fan base is crazy considering where we have been.

The fact that we could be disappointed on missing out on finals this season as a fan base is crazy considering where we have been.
Excited Nick Lachey GIF by Nickelodeon

I still think we're a year early so not fussed if we miss out but yes, how exciting we are finally in the race again

I still think we're a year early so not fussed if we miss out but yes, how exciting we are finally in the race again

Being contenders a year early is important.

There are a couple of important contracts to sign, and a look into that future could make the difference.

Indeed, a win this weekend could be doubly important from that perspective, and it'd put both SA teams out of the running.

Realistically, the next three weeks will be telling us a lot about where we're at.

There are some important injuries, sure, but the list of outs isn't THAT bad. A good team should be able to adapt and cover them.

As for the games, well a week ago, you'd have said Port was probably the easiest of the 3, but a solid win over Sydney will have given them some confidence, and kept their finals hopes alive (barely, but...) and playing them in Adelaide is always tough.
Collingwood and Richmond are harder on paper, but we get them on our home deck and neither seems to be exactly flying right now.

All are tough games, but those teams are the competition for those last finals spots. If we're better than them and win, we deserve a final, if not, well...

We need to win 2/3....It wont be easy, but that's why it's an achievement worth savoring when it happens!

Where’s bods and Iva
Or to much success around here these days 🙌🏽

Oi. Boddsy was a negative nancy and had a tendency of bringing us all down every so often. But he was as passionate as they come. His love for the GC was real.I miss him around here

source on FB:

Lukosis locked in for another three years.
Rankine locked in for another two years.
And there it is! Lukosius signed on until 2026! WOOHOO!

KingCoasters you were right 4 more years!

5 days after the whole Adelaide midfield handballed and butchered their way to a defeat, the Adelaide board collectively breathing a sigh of relief after ‘dodging a bullet’ when luko, one of the best kicks in the league re-signs with the suns.
Just because he’s an outside player.
It’s comical!

And there it is! Lukosius signed on until 2026! WOOHOO!

KingCoasters you were right 4 more years!
It's a prime example of how much easier list management will become now that we're regularly winning games. If our record sat at 3-10 right now then I think we'd be struggling to even convince Luko to sign a two year extension. Instead, we get him to commit to four years when most pundits at the start of the year would have told you he'd be walking in October.

IMO this is what will separate us from GWS and potentially give us a better shot at winning a flag. Look at the high quality players GWS lost in each year they played finals:

2016 (4th) - Jack Steele, Paul Ahern, Cam McCarthy, Will Hoskin-Elliott, James Stewart, Caleb Marchbank
2017 (4th) - Devon Smith, Matthew Kennedy, Nathan Wilson
2018 (7th) - Will Setterfield, Rory Lobb, Tom Scully, Dylan Shiel
2019 (6th) - Jonathan Patton, Aiden Bonar
2020 (10th) - Jeremy Cameron, Jye Caldwell, Zac Langdon
2021 (7th) - Jeremy Finlayson

I understand there was an enormous amount of talent on their list and losing players was inevitable but that list is huge. Literally losing significant players every single year. I just don't think we'll struggle anywhere near as much as they did to keep their players while they were competing in finals series.

Hopefully we get an announcement on Rankine re-signing soon.

Apparently, according to yesterday channel 7 broadcast, Essendon is chasing Rankine hard. Essendon got reportedly 2M in salary cap.

Common, Rankine. Surely, we don't have to over-pay you to stay. Think about Rowell and Anderson, who are next. You all want to stay together :)

According to the media, it seems Essendon is chasing EVERYONE.

I wouldn't completely ignore it, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it either. I dare say he's just one of a long list of players they've got an eye on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the media, it seems Essendon is chasing EVERYONE.

I wouldn't completely ignore it, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it either. I dare say he's just one of a long list of players they've got an eye on.
I would say every team would love to have Rankine after his last 8 games.

FWIW, I think he re-signs but I would hope players realize that keeping their salaries reasonable will allow them to stay together and increase chance to achieve the ultimate goal.

We will eventually start losing some players like GWS but I think that time is not here yet.

Time to re-sign, Rankine.

Apparently, according to yesterday channel 7 broadcast, Essendon is chasing Rankine hard. Essendon got reportedly 2M in salary cap.

Common, Rankine. Surely, we don't have to over-pay you to stay. Think about Rowell and Anderson, who are next. You all want to stay together :)
Depends how that 2 million is spent. 2 million over two years, sure, he might leave for that big a pay day. 2 million over 3 or 4 years is really no different to what the Suns will likely offer him anyway.

I would say every team would love to have Rankine after his last 8 games.

FWIW, I think he re-signs but I would hope players realize that keeping their salaries reasonable will allow them to stay together and increase chance to achieve the ultimate goal.

We will eventually start losing some players like GWS but I think that time is not here yet.

Time to re-sign, Rankine.
He's said nothing but he wants to stay on the GC so I wouldn't look into too much, clubs would be silly not to chase him. Hopefully the news breaks soon

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Depends how that 2 million is spent. 2 million over two years, sure, he might leave for that big a pay day. 2 million over 3 or 4 years is really no different to what the Suns will likely offer him anyway.

I think as a club, we also need to be realistic and not over pay players just to stay, even the likes on Rankine.

If Essendon does offer him silly money like $2M over 2 years, we need to be prepared to accept it, walk away and focus on getting a reasonable trade in return.

That said, I'm still hopeful we'll keep him. Our player retention lately is going very well.

Last edited:
I'm not even remotely concerned. Rankine isn't going to leave us for Essendon. He wants success and is enjoying building that with us. He has been a fierce advocate for the Gold Coast. His re-signing will be announced in the next few weeks. Everyone take a chill pill and let the process play out.

From what I’ve heard Rankine hates Adelaide for all the attention he gets there and people give him a hard time anytime he’s gone home. He would absolutely hate Melbourne for the same reason except it would be far worse. the GC is the perfect place for him, would be devastated to see him go

I think as a club, we also need to be realistic and not over pay players just to stay, even the likes on Rankine.

If Essendon does offer him silly money like $2M over 2 years, we need to be prepared to accept it, walk away and focus on getting a reasonable trade in return.

That said, I'm still hopeful we'll keep him. Our player retention lately is going very well.
Reasonable trade from the Bombers. They would offer a 2nd round pick and expect us to wear some of the cap. Seriously F them.

Posted on the Adelaide board.

Interesting listen from 19:10 mark.

Rhett Biglands said he was with Luko's dad and Luko just wants to play footy ie. happy on the coast, but Izak wants to be a well known famous player and reckons he is half a sniff to get back to Adelaide.

Doesn't really seem to gel with what we see of Izak off field.

Posted on the Adelaide board.

Interesting listen from 19:10 mark.

Rhett Biglands said he was with Luko's dad and Luko just wants to play footy ie. happy on the coast, but Izak wants to be a well known famous player and reckons he is half a sniff to get back to Adelaide.

Doesn't really seem to gel with what we see of Izak off field.

If he really wants to be well known/famous, I'm not sure Adelaide would be his target. A big Melbourne club would be best place for media/sponsorship attention, and any half decent manager would tell him that.

Sounds like wishful thinking from an Adelaide fan.

It does irk me that you know all opposition clubs are saying to our players
"Do you want to play in front of 8k or 80k"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back