Whitecross - what happened to this guy?

Remove this Banner Ad

DrEvil_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was a decent player, did he succumb to too many knee injuries?

He was always a fringe player.
Injuries + younger players coming on saw him loose his spot. Cant see him getting it back either, especially when we have a lot of kids who need games.

Injuries + younger players coming on saw him loose his spot. Cant see him getting it back either, especially when we have a lot of kids who need games.
Not accurate till recently. He was best 22 4 years go until he did his knee for the first time

Lithium..

Apropos of nothing...is your avatar from "Un Chien Andalou"?

I ment fringe as in 21st or 22nd player.
I dont think that is right either his game against the cats in that year where we lost but he had 27 posessions playing in the middle of the ground. He was really coming along who knows where he could be now

Reports say hes pushing for another game for senior team, although im sure most of us know hes future is only a few more months to go with us
Wouldn't be so sure, hes just got back to full fitness recently, up til now hes been playing at about 85% finding some form and may well be around longer than this season.
Hes mid twenties with 100 odd games experience. Watch this space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WhiteX was definately best 22 before he did his knee the first time. Did his apprenticeship off the half back flank and was then being eased into the midfield. As a junior he had the rare combination of elite speed - sub 3 for the 20m and big tank (around a 14.5 -15 for beep test) Its quite sad really as he was on the verge of becoming both a inside/outside midfielder who could hit a target at reasonable speed. Even after his first knee he came back strong and looked like he hadnt missed a beat. Before his first knee he was thought of so highly that he was being mooted as a possible future captain. The second reco though has really set him back.

I personally havent given up on hm but it doesnt look good when the club say that he must dislodge either Hill, Hartung or Smith to get a game...

WhiteX was definately best 22 before he did his knee the first time. Did his apprenticeship off the half back flank and was then being eased into the midfield. As a junior he had the rare combination of elite speed - sub 3 for the 20m and big tank (around a 14.5 -15 for beep test) Its quite sad really as he was on the verge of becoming both a inside/outside midfielder who could hit a target at reasonable speed. Even after his first knee he came back strong and looked like he hadnt missed a beat. Before his first knee he was thought of so highly that he was being mooted as a possible future captain. The second reco though has really set him back.

I personally havent given up on hm but it doesnt look good when the club say that he must dislodge either Hill, Hartung or Smith to get a game...
Hill might be dislodging himself come end of season

Was excellent in 2012/13. Such a shame he doesn't have a medal...yet.

I thought that was quite telling too. I don't remember Whitey being slow, but I don't recall any sort of blistering pace either. I wouldn't really have said the four were similar footballers at all, so for him to be in with that group...I thought it didn't bode well.

Was never a fan of Whitecross, i thought his decision making was always pretty bad. Good club man though, and has been good to have around the club i suggest.

Swiss before his first knee looked the goods, he was quick, had a good side step, strong through the hips which made him hard to tackle and tough as all buggery, add to that his leadership qualities which have been on display through each of his knee injuries (smiling and cheering, calling up Simpkin to let him know he was playing, keeping the injury from his team mates immediately after the game the second time so they could enjoy the moment of making a grand final)

He was a decent user and decision maker, but a good reader of the play who provided a link option. His inside agility and strength coupled with his reading of the play and tank made him a good rotation off half forward into the middle playing as a defensive forward who could kick a goal with a team first mindset with periods on ball.

Towards the time he did his knee he was looking like a permanent move into the middle could be possible and he was talked about as a future captain.

Unfortunately for Brendan he hasn't come back from the second knee anywhere near as well, others on the team have gone past him and while he has been much better at box hill this year than last if Clarko and Fagan see him as depth for Hill, Hartung and Smith as a runner an injury to one of them looks like the only way he will push past them.

He is still valuable to the club for what he offers at Box Hill to the young blokes and as depth but he hasn't recaptured the form that saw him as best 22 pre-injury and at this stage appears to not be able to. Whether he can reinvent himself into another role and be a bridging player for retirements or whether he is somewhere else next year I don't know.

A lot of people on here myself included would love to see him playing well enough to force his way in and if not I'd like to see a farewell game for him if he won't be here next year.

I don't think we need to disparage him though and rewrite history to say he was never good enough or going to be good enough. He's been a good clubman and team mate over the journey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back