Whitecross - what happened to this guy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was fab today?
I think you're right, personally.

Whitecross's desperate dive on the ball on the last line of defense was as important as Fitzmagick's 85m goal.

He has shown poise in each of his games. He's made very few errors, straightened us up at times, and kept it simple. Beautiful. I couldn't be happier for the bloke.

But it seems a few well-known posters on this board who spent much of the year bagging him have crawled back into the woodwork. X has proved them to be flat out wrong.

Whitecross's desperate dive on the ball on the last line of defense was as important as Fitzmagick's 85m goal.

He has shown poise in each of his games. He's made very few errors, straightened us up at times, and kept it simple. Beautiful. I couldn't be happier for the bloke.

But it seems a few well-known posters on this board who spent much of the year bagging him have crawled back into the woodwork. X has proved them to be flat out wrong.

We need savagelunchbox here now!

Go, lad.

He won't leave. Watch the Sunday Series episode about him released this weekend. He loves the club.

And all the players love him back.

Sam Mitchell once described Whitecross as the sort of person who always buys the first round, whether it's a beer or a latte.

He deserves any success he gets.

That last line effort was right in front of me, it was brilliant which ended up in a Burgoyne goal 20 secs later. Absolute star.

Top 10? "What rot". There's no way in hell he was even in the class as Hodge, Mitchell, Roughead, Franklin, Rioli, Gunston, Burgoyne, Stratton, Lake, Shiels, Bruest, Gibson, Smith, Birchall... and the list goes on.

If he really was that good he would have got a game because he's gone uninjured for 18 months. Yes, he's had 2 knee injuries, but he hasn't lost a great amount of his pre-injury speed, agility, and his mind hasn't got slower because of the injury. Like Menzel who has had 3 ACL's, he's got back in the side and isn't greatly affect by the after effects.

If he really was a top 10 player then even the slight decrease in his speed and movement would still see him in the side.

Sometimes the fanboi's need to realise that the game goes past some players quicker than other and that speeds up when injuries happen.
savagelunchbox this thread has been somewhat lacking your insightful opinions recently, why is that I wonder?

Remember Riolis 12 point play against the pies last year. Half back flank, dives, strips Marley Williams, paddles it out and we go coast to coast and goal. Ices that game for us and is still talked about bY the media because it was "Cyril". Swiss' effort put that to shame. That save and resultant goal won us the game.

I was listening on radio and apparently every hawk in the back half of the ground rushed Swiss when we kicked it.

I have been a massive supporter of Whitey, especially after the Cats game a few seasons ago when he crunched Selwood, whilst toweling him up, and then sat there holding Selwoods head until umpires and medicos arrived. Pure class.

Even loving the guy I was sure that we, and the game, may have progressed past him. How he has turned himself into beast mode Hodge 2.0 is beyond me. Doesn't command the respect or have the leadership, and they are massive to us, but on pure footy right now, Whitey is performing better than Hodge. Absolute rock at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was great, but how about him out-bodying Cloke. Incredible that a guy who is 10cm shorter and easily 20 kilos lighter managed to not just keep his feet, but keep his position and get a fist to the ball.

Despite everything he has been through, he is back playing just as well as he was all those years ago.

That was great, but how about him out-bodying Cloke. Incredible that a guy who is 10cm shorter and easily 20 kilos lighter managed to not just keep his feet, but keep his position and get a fist to the ball.

Despite everything he has been through, he is back playing just as well as he was all those years ago.
Should have won a free for high contact as well in that contest

His desperation and multiple efforts yesterday just show how much getting a flag this year means to him. It's acts by a guy in his position that will lift our better players to perform in finals.

To a lesser degree this was achieved by Hartung too yesterday. He went when it was his turn and took responsibility to go back (or run on) and kick a couple important goals.

Not too many of our current players would of pulled off that move whitey did on cloke being in the position he was in. Just shows that he is really picking up his game and taking it to where he once showed us it was. He never lacked fighting spirit and always had a ton of courage and Im just rapted that he is back in our side because at least he shows the Hawthorn spirit of never giving up.

His desperation and multiple efforts yesterday just show how much getting a flag this year means to him. It's acts by a guy in his position that will lift our better players to perform in finals.

To a lesser degree this was achieved by Hartung too yesterday. He went when it was his turn and took responsibility to go back (or run on) and kick a couple important goals.
Yes loved the way Hartung just looked behind himself, kept running and slowed a bit to get his kick straight, always knowing that he had put enough space between him and the chaser that he would not be caught - that was a sign of an elite runner. Looks behind himself in mid flight, doesnt panic and just says to himself, got this one in the bag.....

Yes loved the way Hartung just looked behind himself, kept running and slowed a bit to get his kick straight, always knowing that he had put enough space between him and the chaser that he would not be caught - that was a sign of an elite runner. Looks behind himself in mid flight, doesnt panic and just says to himself, got this one in the bag.....
That was a great goal.

Hill has had many of those situations this year and missed nearly every one of them. Billy taking the game (Y)

He has been great.

I imagine he remains unsigned, until we know how the cards fall with O'Meara & Mitchell.

Then whats left over we will offer to BB and Whitey.

Whitecross with Stratton back should play a tagging role i feel. He is too good to play the role but i have complete faith in the guy to play the role as a forward, defender or midfeilder if a player is destroying us. His game yesterday made Duryea second rate but oh well.

This guy was the biggest x factor a few years ago could play anywhere and play any role required i hope we play him on dangerfield as i think he will be good enough to play on him in the midfeild and backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back