Whitfield out with appendicitis

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
GREATER Western Sydney has been hit with a savage blow ahead of its preliminary final against Collingwood at the MCG with star Lachie Whitfield ruled out after having his appendix removed on Wednesday.

Massive blow for the Giants. Really puts the pressure on Zac Williams and Shaw, but I doubt they can win without Greene and now Whitfield out.

Amazing there's no responses to this. IMO they didn't stand a chance against Collingwood before this but now it might even be a thrashing and the Pies will go into the GF pretty fresh.

Going to make it really hard now. I am guessing Coniglio is no chance? And what about De Goey? They’d be hoping Greene gets off. I reckon the Giants are now best placed to make a GF but that really hurts them.
Strangely, I actually think the Giants are a better team right now without Coniglio. He was playing very poorly and only running one way prior to injury, our defensive efforts have grown significantly since he went out. That being said, if he played Whitfield's forward running role off the back flank, he'd probably do okay. But he's not ready on my opinion.

They keep getting to prelims and losing their best player(s). It's actually incredible. Ward against the dogs; Shiel a couple of years ago; Whitfield, Greene (+ Cogniglio and Ward being out already). You'd like to see them at their best just once in a prelim but what can you do...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly dumb luck for the Giants. But who knows, if Greene wins his appeal (the cynical and expedient way the AFL is run, may I suggest this news helps Greene's appeal?), Leon may be able to rally the team for one final prelim battle, backs against the wall, against vicissitudes etc, what kind of win would that be?

Really hope Giants bring their tough and skilfull sides to make it a game.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Incredibly dumb luck for the Giants. But who knows, if Greene wins his appeal (the cynical and expedient way the AFL is run, may I suggest this news helps Greene's appeal?), Leon may be able to rally the team for one final prelim battle, backs against the wall, against vicissitudes etc, what kind of win would that be?

Really hope Giants bring their tough and skilfull sides to make it a game.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It could help Greene's chances of winning his appeal, the AFL probably don't want GWS to win but they would want them to at least be competitive and with both Greene and Whitfield out there is a real danger that they won't be.

Haven't they won the last two games with Whitfield being pretty well held? Obviously he's a significant body on the ifeld who draws an opposition player, but they're clearly not stuffed without him.

Haven't they won the last two games with Whitfield being pretty well held? Obviously he's a significant body on the ifeld who draws an opposition player, but they're clearly not stuffed without him.
No they haven't. He was possibly best on ground against the Dogs including kicking a monster goal to settle them early. They were very lucky to sneak over the line against the Lions when he had a poor game.

Now the Pies can sit on Kelly and suddenly there's not a lot of line-breaking skill in the Giants midfield. Unless they move Williams from half back. Which is robbing Peter to pay Paul because the Giants backline apart from Williams right now is stoppers (Taylor, Corr, Kennedy), interceptors (Davis, Haynes) and whatever the hell Heath Shaw is.

It could help Greene's chances of winning his appeal, the AFL probably don't want GWS to win but they would want them to at least be competitive and with both Greene and Whitfield out there is a real danger that they won't be.
Are you saying that the AFL will just change the outcome not based on the evidence but on what they want to occur for marketing purposes? The integrity of the comp is far more important, next you'll be saying that the AFL CEO will make calls on whether players stay or are traded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back