Whitten Oval Redevelopment Plans (UPDATE: No AFL Games)

Remove this Banner Ad

No, if you care to be accurate, I actually argued both points and that they were related.

They’re not a binary, “one or the other” proposition.

The fact that we could achieve both ends (expand reach and grease political wheels) with the one venture made it a no-brainer to me.

I made several other arguments too, but none were to the exclusion of the others.
Agree with one of your arguments, greasing the wheel as all selling of games does one way or another. However, as for the second one about us and a supporter base is a furphy to justify the first to the masses

Great news, but let’s face it, if they played senior AFL games there again it would hardly be nostalgic, as the ground would be completely different from when we all remember it from the 60s 70s 80s and 90s (depending on your age)

Last edited:
Great news, but let’s face it, if they played senior AFL games there again it would hardly be nostalgic, as the ground would be completed different from when we all remember it from the 60s 70s 80s and 90s (depending on your age)
It's the new hipster nostalgia. Long queues for an espresso at quarter time.

Honestly can't wait for this to happen
Could see how fixture set up like this
Say we have 11 homes games
4 games at Whitten Oval (West Coast, Lions, Freo)
2 Games at Ballarat (vs Suns and Port)
5 Games at Marvel (blockbuster teams)
The Western Bullfrogs, hopping from venue to venue every single week

I wonder what slight reorientation of the field is for? Ideally it needs to shuffle a few metres west to allow a stand with more crowd capacity on the Doug Hawkins wing.

I wonder what slight reorientation of the field is for? Ideally it needs to shuffle a few metres west to allow a stand with more crowd capacity on the Doug Hawkins wing.

They built a walking path along the Dough Hawkins wing and in the plans there is a running track, so I can't see it being expanded much.

No commitment to funding yet so no point getting excited.

It also needs to go more west because the Whitten stand and terraces nearby are a long way back from the boundary line. Modern stadiums are closer and steeper and have better viewing and atmosphere because it’s all tighter.

Before fixturing in multiple games of AFL, bemoaning the capacity of any potential redevelopment, rejoicing at the demise of the Ballarat games or ignoring the not insignificant matter of funding, some may want to go back and have a read of the clubs official announcement. The Herald Sun as is their way have put a fair dollop of mayonnaise into their article with their selective quoting and click bait emphasis on the potential of playing "heritage games" at the ground.

Ameet Baines said:
The Club believes that in the longer-term, a redeveloped VU Whitten Oval for AFLW with increased capacity and a first-class match-day experience, could see the return of the occasional heritage game to the venue given the many secondary market location venues around the country that currently host AFL football matches.“We would love to see the occasional heritage AFL match return to the ground in time,”

Wake me up when the first sod of soil is turned over.

Honestly can't wait for this to happen
Could see how fixture set up like this
Say we have 11 homes games
4 games at Whitten Oval (West Coast, Lions, Freo)
2 Games at Ballarat (vs Suns and Port)
5 Games at Marvel (blockbuster teams)
So we play 6 games in stadiums that fit less than 18k people?

Might as well close the doors now mate.

Membership will fall through the floor and attendance, sponsorship dollar and growth will plummit

3 games max at WO and let Ballarat sort itself out

So we play 6 games in stadiums that fit less than 18k people?

Might as well close the doors now mate.

Membership will fall through the floor and attendance, sponsorship dollar and growth will plummit

3 games max at WO and let Ballarat sort itself out
Max. 1 game at western oval by the sounds of it and rightly so.
A whole generation of dogs supporters have no connection to WO and for those who do the new stadium will bring no nostalgia.
Great initiative by the club though in improving the facilities etc

Max. 1 game at western oval by the sounds of it and rightly so.
A whole generation of dogs supporters have no connection to WO and for those who do the new stadium will bring no nostalgia.
Great initiative by the club though in improving the facilities etc
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Let's get down there when it happens and chant: "Foot-SCRAY!" *clap,clap,clap* "Foot-SCRAY!" *clap,clap,clap*

Oh and we can throw in a spare zac as the Hyde St Band marches past with the open tarp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will start with 1-2 games per year. Make some good coin. Build another grand stand at the Geelong road end, get a 25,000+ capacity and get up to 4 games. Like the Hawks in Tassie but we’ll be in FOOTSCRAY.

For nostalgia purposes I will be necking VB cans on the Hawkins wing ($2.50 a pop if memory serves me correct)
Steel cans too! Strong enough to stand on (when empty of course) to get a better view from the terrace.

great move using women's football to get us best training facilities in afl lol

we are good

It will never happen. The money simply doesn't exist and if the state government coughed up more than the $1mill already committed there will be a queue of clubs with their hands out.

For those of you saying the Whitten Oval doesn’t bring any nostalgia, you don’t know what you’re talking about. I feel the nostalgia every time I watch the women’s or the reserves down there. I love going there for any event, brings back memories of the 80s and 90s for me as a kid. I would love even one AFL game a season there, as would a lot of people I know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back