Whitten Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if a feasability study has been done in the last couple of years on redeveloping the Whitten oval to host AFL games?

Realistically, Geelong were making $750k a game with a capacity of 22k. Based on the historical records that no more than 50% of members turn up to any one game developing the Whitten oval to a 25k capacity should no be too costly whne looking at it in the medium to long term, and if we play 11 home games there even on conservative numbers we should increase our gameday revenenue by $3m to $5m, more than we receive as compensation from the AFL therefore improving our bottom line.

It gives us the opportunity to take back some control of our own destiny as well as reconnect with the region of Melbourne we are suppose to represent. From a football perspective it will give us a genuine home ground.

To increase the commercial viability we need to look no further than the success of WSW in the A league. With our demographic there may be an opportunity for a genuine cross town rivalry with actual supporters.

I know many will argue it cannot be done, however the dynamics of the AFL have changed with the expansion teams including crowd sizes and the likelyhood the season would start early therby providing the AFL with another venue. Also, the crowd success in the west of Sydney does provide some commercial viability to improving a ground based in the west for the people of the west.

The train station next to the oval has been upgraded, which with the right timing provides not only transport access but many more carparks than were previously available.

It may not be possible but I would have thought our board would be derelict in its duties if it has not at least completed a feasability study.

For all its good points Etihad is strangling the club and its development with its crap deal. Within the next 2 to 3 years the number of games required to be played at Etihad drops, which would fit in with any redevelopment timeframe.

No one would have thought we could have got the first redvelopment of the oval, do we have any visionaries for the next stage? Or do we just accept the crap deal we have which we have no control over improving?

It would be great to be able to play games at Whitten Oval. A true home ground. A better way to make money and keep the club moving forward. I think the only thing that holds any of this back is parking. Where would you fit the few thousand cars that would inevitably need to be parked?

If they made it a real priority to publicise the use of public transport to and from the games, it could work. But they would really need a damn good spruiker to get more funding for further development. Perhaps once the team is pushing back into the 8 it would be a good time to push hard for further development.

It would be great to be able to play games at Whitten Oval. A true home ground. A better way to make money and keep the club moving forward. I think the only thing that holds any of this back is parking. Where would you fit the few thousand cars that would inevitably need to be parked?

If they made it a real priority to publicise the use of public transport to and from the games, it could work. But they would really need a damn good spruiker to get more funding for further development. Perhaps once the team is pushing back into the 8 it would be a good time to push hard for further development.
As mentioned in the thread the train station carpark capacity has increased drastically with plenty more room to expand if all levels of government get on board to improve facilities in the West.

I'd like to be pushing for it now because then by the time were getting into the 8 it would be well underway.

I don't see why it couldn't be done, it would be perfect for interstate teams as we would still turn over a profit, it would really help our standing as club. It would definitely help us take over the west like the AFL is trying to help us too, imagine heading down there it would be great! I know I would be keen to go to a VFL/AFL doubleheader and I'm sure a lot of other people would too!

Metricon doesn't have any parking, there's a service where there are shuttle buses from a carpark about 5-10 minutes away, this sort of thing would work at the Whitten Oval too.

Playing VFL games there, whilst a feel good thing will not assist in a redevelopment to AFL standard which is required to generate the funds to ensure our future.

We need to get it to a standard to play our home AFL games to make any redevelopment viable.

the new opportunity is A league

The AFL would never give it the green light until the Etihad contract is fulfilled.
The minimum required games drops by at least 5 in the next 2 years. We are not needed to meet this obligation of the AFL from then on. Remember North were to go to the Gold Coast and the league would still have met even its current obligation. This has meant an addition 9 games there.

Also the league has no love for the current owners of the grounb who have control till 2025

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The minimum required games drops by at least 5 in the next 2 years. We are not needed to meet this obligation of the AFL from then on. Remember North were to go to the Gold Coast and the league would still have met even its current obligation. This has meant an addition 9 games there.

Also the league has no love for the current owners of the grounb who have control till 2025

That makes sense. Yet the AFL stopped us from playing any home games at Geelong.

That makes sense. Yet the AFL stopped us from playing any home games at Geelong.
The basis for stopping us playing at Geelong was to focuss on growth areas. The fastest growing area in Australia is the Western Suburbs. There is a window of opportunity that 5 years ago did not exist, I would hope our board at least explores the opportunity to its fullest extent.

We need to do more than just say we represent the West, we need to actually be there, and playing in the city will never provide this

This is a really good idea and would be financially viable, so it probably won't happen. I don't understand why we wouldn't look at this, you would need to bring it up to 25,000 to play 3-4 games there a year against the interstaters. Might be worth drafting up something to the club. I swear I've heard a few times that the VFL side will be based at the Whitten Oval from next year.

This is a really good idea and would be financially viable, so it probably won't happen. I don't understand why we wouldn't look at this, you would need to bring it up to 25,000 to play 3-4 games there a year against the interstaters. Might be worth drafting up something to the club. I swear I've heard a few times that the VFL side will be based at the Whitten Oval from next year.
Lex22 Geelong play 7 to 8 games at Kardinia park and it had a capacity of 22k and they have 15k more members than we have. We could play and make more money from 9 to all home games at the Whitten oval, plus NAB cup as well as possible A league team to support the local broader community.

For it to work we need to get past only interstate teams, have it as our fortress in the west and look at sports with genuine attendances to supplement our games. Maybe even the Kangas playing Interstate teams so they can have more high profile games in Hobart

Lex22 Geelong play 7 to 8 games at Kardinia park and it had a capacity of 22k and they have 15k more members than we have. We could play and make more money from 9 to all home games at the Whitten oval, plus NAB cup as well as possible A league team to support the local broader community.

For it to work we need to get past only interstate teams, have it as our fortress in the west and look at sports with genuine attendances to supplement our games. Maybe even the Kangas playing Interstate teams so they can have more high profile games in Hobart
I hope you realise that Kardinia Park has been re-developed to accommodate a 35,000 capacity as well as lights? I think we could do it to play at most 4 games there a year. Bring it up to at least 22-23k seated and it has a chance.

I hope you realise that Kardinia Park has been re-developed to accommodate a 35,000 capacity as well as lights? I think we could do it to play at most 4 games there a year. Bring it up to at least 22-23k seated and it has a chance.
Yep but it has been over a 10 year period and again they have 15k more members than we have. In the meantime with the smaller capacity they have generated close to $1mill a game playing 7 to 8 games there.

It is simply not economically feasable for 4 games. The cost will be around $60 mill and yes we would have to include lights. It has to be for most if not all of our home games. Given that even at our best we draw less than 25k at Etihad against the liokes of Freo and Port adelaide, giving a clearer indication of how many of our supporters turn up, if we have like Geelong limited opposition room, we can easily accomadate all of our members even if it grows in a 25 to 27k seated stadium. Afl figures show less than 50% of Members of any club turn up to each game. It would also create a home ground cauldren like Subi

Don't forget Carlton is making a big push to get out of Etihad and get all games to MCG which takes away more games from Etihad ofsetting that reduction. I think it is too late into contract now with only 11 years left til owership, in next 3-5 years they will buy it when the price becomes more viable.

Don't forget Carlton is making a big push to get out of Etihad and get all games to MCG which takes away more games from Etihad ofsetting that reduction. I think it is too late into contract now with only 11 years left til owership, in next 3-5 years they will buy it when the price becomes more viable.
There is only a maximum of 35 games to be played there from 2015 and a certain percentage have to be premium games. Already you have:
Essendon 8
St Kilda 11
North 9
The other Melbourne teams only need to make up 7. Given the quality games the 12 is easily made up by:
Geelong 2
Us 2 (Given we play 9 home games which would be a minimum for viability)
Carlton 2
Collingwood 1
Richmond 1
Melbourne 1

This easily get there

There is only a maximum of 35 games to be played there from 2015 and a certain percentage have to be premium games. Already you have:
Essendon 8
St Kilda 11
North 9
The other Melbourne teams only need to make up 7. Given the quality games the 12 is easily made up by:
Geelong 2
Us 2 (Given we play 9 home games which would be a minimum for viability)
Carlton 2
Collingwood 1
Richmond 1
Melbourne 1

This easily get there

North want to go to 4 Tassie games so there's another 2 gone plus want to get 1-2 MCG so theres another 3-4 gone, St Kilda are going to play 2 in NZ usually play 1-2 home at MCG and they wanted more this year but didn't get them there's another 3-4 gone, and Essendon never play 8 usually 6-7 another couple more gone.

I've been championing this cause for 2 years. There is no better place for a boutique stadium in Melbourne.
- It can offer a stadium where clubs like the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne can play low-drawing interstate teams.
- It removes the cancer that is the Ian Collins Stadium deal from the club and allows us to turn a profit in that respect.
- It is 3 or 4 train stops from Southern Cross, where we play now.
- It's located in the heart of the west, our traditional stomping ground and the most rapidly expanding region in Australia.
- Our membership typically numbers around 30,000, and we've been drawing 20-25,000 odd to games in 2012-13, pointing to the sense in a boutique home ground.
- We can still play bumper games against Collingwood and Essendon at Etihad to fulfill the Etihad deal with the AFL, as we should logically draw over 25,000 when playing those sides.
- It creates a genuine home ground advantage for a traditionally disadvantaged club, and the revenue from clubs like North and even Essendon playing interstate teams there could benefit the Bulldogs enormously.
- We'd draw a lot more through the gate in our heartland who could just rock up instead of having to travel.

The club faces irrelevancy among 8 other Melbourne-based clubs, and needs to define itself geographically. With a redeveloped Whitten Oval we can own the west, truly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back