Whitten Oval set to be revived

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyway, time will tell and we'll see who's right in five years time. In the mean time you and I are finished. You're blocked hence forth so You can write any rubbish you like, because I won't read any of it to respond.

Good grief, I've never seen this much salt! No idea who you think I am lol.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Amortised as a $ per seat per game, Geelong will sell all on a seasons membership. Very different to Ballarat?
Indeed, Mars Stadium was built as a Tier 2 AFL ground (Less amenities and VFL grade lighting) where GMHBA stadium is Tier 1 (Similar in amenities and supporting infrastructure to the MCG and Marvel Stadium) based on the fact that it has a resident home team (Geelong) and hosts 9 AFL home games per season as opposed to a mere 2 in Ballarat for the less popular (lower crowd-pulling) Bulldogs. That's why Mars cost $3000 per seat to build as opposed to the several thousand per seat for GMHBA Stadium. I don't have a problem with that by the way, I certainly don't believe that they ought to be spending too much more money at Mars Stadium beyond perhaps another 5000 seats and reserved standing capacity for approx 5000 to give it a realistic capacity of about 15,000. It's already about to have another $6 million spent building a new covered entrance and ticket booths at its southern end, new permanent toilet blocks built for the standing areas of the ground and imrovements to its catering facilities. For my mind the money there really needs to be spent outside the ground on car parking, lighting and a train platform over the road.

That said, here's a real kicker as a side note: The new 25,000 capacity Townsville (Rubgy only) Stadium for the NQ Cowboys is costing $10,000 per seat to build and likely only ever be filled on its opening night ... :rolleyes: They have never had 25,000 turn up to any sporting event in Townsville ever ...

Last edited:
That said, here's a real kicker as a side note: The new 25,000 capacity Townsville (Rubgy only) Stadium for the NQ Cowboys is costing $10,000 per seat to build and likely only ever be filled on its opening night ... :rolleyes: They have never had 25,000 turn up to any sporting event in Townsville ever ...

a) Go Cowboys!
b) It's amazing what living in a really marginal seat or two will do. :(

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
It's funny how not long before the Dogs moved to the Docklands they were looking at leaving the Whitten oval and going to Skinners reserve. They did train at Skinners in the last 90's.

Now they want to go full circle and move back to the suburban Whitten oval ground
Is that ground still being used by any clubs in the area?

Is that ground still being used by any clubs in the area?
haven't been out that way for years but I think it has been converted into a few soccer pitches now

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
I feel sorry for the people in and around footscray on game days if this happens. I lived just down the road literally for 5 years and went past nearly every day for 10 and I can tell you, just driving around there to get to highpoint or park nearby to use the public gym was bad enough. Trying to accommodate even 1000 cars for attendees around there will be an absolute **** show.
This was the main reason why it went to crap. it was never structured good for parking

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I was always puzzled as to why the AFL ruled out Princes Park (then Optus Oval) at the time.

PP/OO would've been the perfect venue for smaller Melbourne teams playing most interstate teams.

Clubs could've benefited from it far more than the current deal at Docklands.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I was always puzzled as to why the AFL ruled out Princes Park (then Optus Oval) at the time.

PP/OO would've been the perfect venue for smaller Melbourne teams playing most interstate teams.

The ground was owned by Carlton and when other teams (i.e. Hawthorn, Fitzroy, Bulldogs, North Melbourne) played home games there a large proportion of the gate taking went to Carlton which the participating clubs were obviously unhappy with.

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
The ground was owned by Carlton and when other teams (i.e. Hawthorn, Fitzroy, Bulldogs, North Melbourne) played home games there a large proportion of the gate taking went to Carlton which the participating clubs were obviously unhappy with.

I understand that but those issues could've been ironed out and solved a problem today, that the AFL doesn't have a Melbourne venue with a capacity of just 35,000. Clubs (and the AFL) would be losing money hand over first when Melbourne, North Melbourne, WBulldogs, St Kilda etc host the likes of the Suns, Giants, Power, Dockers etc.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

It's been made clear that fans don't want their team playing at the traditional home of a rival, MCG excepted. Fitzroy fans didn't like it, Footscray fans didn't like it, really doubt North fans would either. It's either a communal stadium like at present, or what the Bulldogs seem to be trying to do, rehabilitating their own traditional ground.

Elliott screwed that one imo. Saw the oppo games as a revenue source, rather than a means to secure long term AFL/govt funding to maintain an elite grade boutique venue.

megadeth92

Senior List
Jul 21, 2020
Lautoka, Fiji Islands
AFL Club
Collingwood
Btw, has anyone ever stayed at the Palms Motel? It is within walking distance of Whitten Oval. I don't know whether it has been renovated recently. I stayed there in January 2011 and it looked like something out of the 1950s. The rooms were scary too - I had to sleep with the lights and TV switched on!

megadeth92

Senior List
Jul 21, 2020
Lautoka, Fiji Islands
AFL Club
Collingwood
The local council (Who would own the ground). Remember that VU Whitten Oval, Ikon Park, Victoria Park, RESA Park, Mars Stadium, and even Kardinia Park are all owned by the local councils. The footy teams are mere tennants. I can certainly vouch that in Ballarat many vocal opponents to Mars Stadium have questioned who will foot the bill for the upkeep as the ground develops? At its present size (11,000 capacity with 5000 seats) it is just the right fit for Ballarat with or without AFL. It is very low maintenance because it is built to be run and maintained on a very low budget and the ground gets good sized crowds of 4000-10000 on at least six occasions during the year in addition to its use for BFNL/CHFL gzmes, being used for TAC Cup finals, rugby union, and now possibly A League soccer.

But over the longer term, it is being questioned as to how big the ground should be if it is only hosting two AFL seasonal games per year? Does it need to have anything more than 10,000 seats with the rest being standing room on grassed terraces? At the end of the day it will be the rate payers of Ballarat maintaining it, therefore the ground has to pay it's way beyond just 2 AFL games. These are issues that Ballarat has to address if they are to make the game workable for them.

This is exactly the same for the VU Whitten Oval. All well and good to propose spending $150 mil, but in the end it has to paid back to the club, the council who own the ground and the government. An 18,000-20,000 capacity oval could quickly fall into disrepair if not maintained. Consider that the Launceston City Council recently considered selling off the 19,500 capacity York Park which hosts 3 AFL games and the occasional BBL game but not much else. They've decided to keep it for the time being, but considering that it is largely constructed from scaffold stands that are roofed and covered at the rear to create an enclosed stadium, it will eventually need to to have permanent stands built, which would cost a considerable sum to build and to maintain.

View attachment 682833

Sorry, what is that oval in the picture? I'm not familiar with it.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Btw, has anyone ever stayed at the Palms Motel? It is within walking distance of Whitten Oval. I don't know whether it has been renovated recently. I stayed there in January 2011 and it looked like something out of the 1950s. The rooms were scary too - I had to sleep with the lights and TV switched on!
Absolute dive, isn't it? Stayed there one night about 3 years ago. I have stayed in some dodgy motels before, but this one is in a league of its own.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
I understand that but those issues could've been ironed out and solved a problem today, that the AFL doesn't have a Melbourne venue with a capacity of just 35,000. Clubs (and the AFL) would be losing money hand over first when Melbourne, North Melbourne, WBulldogs, St Kilda etc host the likes of the Suns, Giants, Power, Dockers etc.
There is an issue with public transport, as it's only serviced by trams. The last time I went there for an AFL game we ended up walking back into the city it took so long to get a tram.

megadeth92

Senior List
Jul 21, 2020
Lautoka, Fiji Islands
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some local support for the Dogs from a restaurant in Barkly Street - - picture dates back to January 2011 though.

Attachments

• P3203694.JPG
    P3203694.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 180

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Princess Park, E-Gate (next to North Melbourne Station) or Ardern St would be perfect for a boutique stadium similar capacity and design as Kardinia park (22500 in the lower bowl and 12500 on the upper tier that can be opened/closed).

The AFL need to get smarter about fixturing the 9 melbourne teams. Gauge the expected crowd and schedule accordingly. If the expected crowd is under 35k, it goes to the new stadium. 35k to 60k goes to Marvel and 60k+ goes to the MCG. We don't need clubs losing money playing in front of 20k at the MCG or Marvel. Not good for footy or the fans.

The big thing hurting suburban grounds is a lack of public transport infrastructure. Have a look at the EPL stadiums, most are literally surrounded by terraced housing with virtually no parking available. My parents live in Bassendean, and I've been to many a Swan Districts game, and it is a literal nightmare for people to find a carpark, let alone the local residents having to put up with it. And that's a ground that is actually on a rail line.

Back