Who’d win

• Richmond 17,19,20

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Brisbane 01,02,03

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who'd win vs who was the better team arent necessarily the same question. The team 20 years later would win as the game evolves, performance doesn't regress despite what it looks like, but the Lions are still the best side I've seen, relative to the time.

Threads like this are pointless. And i'll tell you why. And it's the same logic with Dustin Martin and whether he's GOAT.
It doesn't matter who you think it's better be it the Lions of 01-03, Hawks 13-15, Cats 07-11. It doesn't. What is important is now the Tigers are in those discussions. It can't be denied. Facts are there. Footy evolves. All those dynasties are great teams. Seriously. They were all awesome. So you can try and dick measure, but, who cares.
With Dusty, same deal, who cares whether he's better than Matthews/Abblett snr or jnr etc. It doesn't matter. What is important is he's in the conversations. That can't be denied.
But to answer OP, Tigers by plenty ;)

Yesterday I heard Mick Malthouse discuss this issue.

To judge a team, you must look at the bottom 5 players in the 22. He said Brissie had quality down to 22. I agree, hard to find a passenger.

Brissie were ruthless.
Usually an excellent marker but I feel like Richmond have made a bit of a mockery of it. Generally have upwards of half their team you wouldn't consider anything above borderline AFL level, yet they can all play to a game plan and get the job done.

The Lion's team looks a lot better on paper, and I gave them a vote, but I wouldn't count this Tigers side out against anyone.

Brisbane had the better team, the team of champions. Richmond has the better system and at present no other team can match it even though they know exactly how Richmond plays. It allows a team less impressive on paper to beat better-credentialled teams.

Brisbane gets the nod for the moment but if Richmond 3 peats in 2021 matching Brisban ... 4 in 5 years would be hard to beat.

Back