Who’s the top 20 players you have ever SEEN play?

Remove this Banner Ad

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe post your age (35) , and when I say “seen play” I mean seen with your own 2 eyes , doesn’t have to be in person. On tv is fine. Maybe post a reason along side some selections. DONT just come here to criticise others , post your own top 20.

Here’s mine.

I’m sure I have missed a few , and will make some edits as I see fit if others post players I may have forgotten.

Enjoy!

1. Tony Lockett. Most goals ever. In 281 games. First player I would pick on my team. Ben hart said lockett use to say to him before the game started “keep your hands to yourself and we won’t have a problem” lol.

2. Darren Jarman. Freak.

3.Judd.

4.Dunstall. Reliable.

5.buddy franklin. Freak

6.gary Ablett snr. I think his rating is usually a little higher in most lists. Not mine. 6 is still very high.

7.gary Ablett jnr.

8.voss

9.fyfe

10.akermanis

11.Paul Kelly

12.sam Mitchell

13.glenn jakovich

14.modra. Freak. Would like to have him higher , but the lack of the 2 premierships and goals total due to games played and injury I can’t have him any higher. But you knew he was going to take a screamer every week. Annoys me when people say Howe has the best replicable mark ever when modra use to take better marks every week. The afc built a club off this blokes back. Go watch a highlights package.

15.dangerfield

16.jonathon Brown

17.buckley

18.greg Williams

19.robert Harvey

20.dustin Martin (1 Brownlow and a premiership already. Will be higher by the end of his career I’m sure if he keeps his form up)

Last edited:

I'm 58 but I was only converted to the great game of Australian Rules Football since the early 2000s, funny how it coincided with our 3peat.:D

Off the top of my head, will probably miss someone obvious, no particular order, Lions players first though.

Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Luke Hodge;), Jonathan Brown, Simon Black, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett, Lance Franklin, Andrew McLeod, Sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury, Dean Cox, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Goodes, James Hird, Matthew Scarlett, Shaun Burgoyne, Ben Cousins, Corey Enright, Warren Treadrea.

No particular order

James hird
Chris judd
Nathan buckley
Gaj
Stephen michael
Krakouer bros (the sum of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts)
Wayne carey
Michael voss
Glen jakovich
Adam goodes
Alex rance
Matthew scarlett
Buddy franklin
Maurice rioli
Dean cox
Gas
Steven silvagni
Peter matera
Sam mitchell

Sheeeyit if i added a forward pocket and a nuggety small backman to this i reckon this 22 would be unbeatable - say chuck in a cyril rioli and a daniel chick type for balance.

Ablett snr
Carey
Plugger
Matthews(only saw the very end)
Voss
Judd
Ablett jnr
Diesel
Matera
Buddy
Rance
Jarman
Hird
Buckley
Dangerfield
Martin
Ricciuto
MaCleod
Jackovich
Cox

In no order:
Gary Ablett snr
Gary Ablett jr
James Hird
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Leigh Matthews
Peter Daicos
Bruce Doull
David Clarke
Tony Lockett
Peter Hudson
Royce Hart
Simon Madden
Wayne Carey
Peter Matera
Barry Cable
Alex Jesaulenko
Matthew Scarlett
Greg Williams
Simon Black

when I say “seen play” I mean seen with your own 2 eyes , doesn’t have to be in person. On tv is fine.
So it's players you've seen? With your eyes?

You might need to clarify that.

Because I'm a dolphin and I "see" using a special kind of sonar system called echolocation. Does that count?

Edit: Carey been left out and made room for Judd due to not seeing him at his best and putting him in there based on others opinions is not what it’s about.

Why is Carey left out for not seeing him at his best buy guys like Ablett Sr, Lockett, Dunstall, Jarman and Williams who all finished up earlier are in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Carey left out for not seeing him at his best buy guys like Ablett Sr, Lockett, Dunstall, Jarman and Williams who all finished up earlier are in?
Because I believe his best was between 89 and 95 and I was 6 yrs old to 12 yrs old during that period. AFL was only on my radar since 91 as a 8 ur old due to being a kid and crows entering the comp. And he had the tag of greatest player by the time I was 13, and I never saw it. Dunstall kicked 102 in 96, I saw how good he was. Locket kicked over 100 in 95,96,98. I remember that. Ablett kicked over 100 in 93,94,95. I saw that.

Feel free to Post your own list rather than asking others to justify theirs. It’s one thing talking about it,another asking the, to justify it. I hope my justification was satisfactory to you.

Feel free to Post your own list rather than asking others to justify theirs. It’s one thing talking about it,another asking the, to justify it. I hope my justification was satisfactory to you.

Thank you for aanswering. Please feel free not to get sooky about someone asking a reasonable question in a perfectly polite manner. I didn't realise everyone had to post their own list before being allowed to ask reasonable questions. Defensive much?

Ablett snr
Carey
Plugger
Matthews(only saw the very end)
Voss
Judd
Ablett jnr
Diesel
Matera
Buddy
Rance
Jarman
Hird
Buckley
Dangerfield
Martin
Ricciuto
MaCleod
Jackovich
Cox
Good list and I totally agree with your top 10, in order.

I'd bring in Peter Daicos, Maurice Rioli, Rob Harvey and Jason Dunstall in exchange for Cox, McLeod, Dusty and Jacovic (with all due respect to those outstanding players). I'd love to add Bernie Quinlan, Malcolm Blight and Gary Dempsey, but their greatness has faded a little from my memory. Krakouer brothers also unlucky. Hell it's a difficult task. Can we do a top-30?

I'm 58 but I was only converted to the great game of Australian Rules Football since the early 2000s, funny how it coincided with our 3peat.:D

Off the top of my head, will probably miss someone obvious, no particular order, Lions players first though.

Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Luke Hodge;), Jonathan Brown, Simon Black, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett, Lance Franklin, Andrew McLeod, Sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury, Dean Cox, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Goodes, James Hird, Matthew Scarlett, Shaun Burgoyne, Ben Cousins, Corey Enright, Warren Treadrea.
Funny,

Losing to Richmond 100 times in a row, you’d think you’d squeeze a Richmond player in that list lol

Best I've seen (28)

Ablett snr
Ablett jnr
Lockett
Nick Riewoldt
Selwood
Scarlett
Buddy
Steve Johnson
Chapman
Enright
Pendlebury
Jimmy
Danger
Lloyd
Fyfe
Mitchell
Pavlich
Martin

Last edited:
Age 33 PS I moved to Australia from overseas in 1997 so never got to see Ablett Senior at his peak or Dunstall at his peak
Judd
Voss
Buddy Franklin
Peter Matera
Ben Cousins
Dean Cox
Akermanis
Wayne Carey
Andrew Mcelod
Buckley
Dangerfield
Ablett Jr
Jackovich
Simon Black
Robert Harvey
Nathan Fyfe
Glen Archer
Jonathan Brown
Matthew Scarlett
Nick Riewoldt
Shaun Burgoyne

Last edited:
I’m 31
In no particular order

Andrew McLeod
Mark Ricciuto
Eddie Betts
James Hird
Chris Judd
Ben Cousins
Gary Ablett Jr
Wayne Carey
Jason Akermanis
Lance Franklin
Nick Riewoldt
Adam Goodes
Nathan Buckley
Jonathan Brown
Matthew Scarlett
Patrick Dangerfield
Warren Tredrea
Dean Cox

These 2 are often underrated and always went about unnoticed IMO

Roger James - key player in Ports early 00’s era

Scott West - ball magnet who carried that midfield for a while and polled well in a few Brownlows

No particular order

James hird
Chris judd
Nathan buckley
Gaj
Stephen michael
Krakouer bros (the sum of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts)
Wayne carey
Michael voss
Glen jakovich
Adam goodes
Alex rance
Matthew scarlett
Buddy franklin
Maurice rioli
Dean cox
Gas
Steven silvagni
Peter matera
Sam mitchell

Sheeeyit if i added a forward pocket and a nuggety small backman to this i reckon this 22 would be unbeatable - say chuck in a cyril rioli and a daniel chick type for balance.
Is rance in there for being the best diver since Mathews to have played the game

Because I believe his best was between 89 and 95 and I was 6 yrs old to 12 yrs old during that period. AFL was only on my radar since 91 as a 8 ur old due to being a kid and crows entering the comp. And he had the tag of greatest player by the time I was 13, and I never saw it. Dunstall kicked 102 in 96, I saw how good he was. Locket kicked over 100 in 95,96,98. I remember that. Ablett kicked over 100 in 93,94,95. I saw that.

Are you talking about wayne carey? Coz if you are, then you haven't got your facts straight. He won north's B&F in 96 and 98. In fact 1998 was probably his best season in the AFL - he was red hot favourite to win the brownlow medal that year, even though he didn't poll particularly well on the night (there was speculation that the umps didn't like him because of his arrogant demeanor on the field and that impacted his votes).

In no particular order;

Kernahan
Williams
Hird
Watson
Dunstall
Brereton
Dangerfield
Ablett Snr
Ablett Jnr
Daicos
Judd
J Brown
L Franklin
Hodge
Carey
Tuck
Jakovich
R Harvey
Lockett
Peter Matera.

Apologies to those that I have missed. Also greatest skipper I've seen has to be Kernahan.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back