Who are our best and worst flow players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are our best flow players? ...

... they’re the players who have the situational awareness to quickly direct the ball to where it needs to go before the opposition have time to figure out what’s going on. They could be in the middle of a nest of opposition players and they handball over their head and into the lap of a team-mate who finds himself free in a paddock of space. They’re the players who instead of taking possession, deftly tap the ball into the path of a team-mate who is running into goal while the opposition are caught three plays behind and trying to figure out WTF just happened?

Who are our worst flow players? Our flow killers? ...

... they’re the ones who having taken a mark, will look up and find a sea of unmarked black and white jumpers ahead of them, so they duly go back on the mark and wait until all their team-mates are manned up before taking their kick. They would rather jump on the ball to hold up play than tap it into the path of a phalanx of teammates running past. And when they do get a bit of dare and take a risk they typically gift wrap the footy before handing it straight to the opposition. Or they get pinged holding the ball. Who really needs to work on their situational awareness?

Last edited:
Our best Treloar, Sidebottom, Beams, Pendlebury all our smooth movers through the midfield.

We don't seem to have the same flow out of the backline but I won't name names but all of them except Crisp maybe aren't great rebounders at the moment.

I doubt few would dispute that the shapeshifter himself, Scott Pendlebury is the best at this. Beams is also pretty damn good and it’s been great to see him back in the team with these skills.

The modfielders are expected to be the best at this, but others who seem to be very good are ...

Grundy
Varcoe
Cox
Stephenson

Even though l like Langdon as a player and is a fan of, the thing that annoys me is he stops and looks after a mark mostly, instead of moving the ball on quickly

Best are the gun mids - Pendles, Sidebottom, Beams, Treloar. Someone mentioned Adams as being the worst, I actually think he is excellent at it. Howe and Crisp are two others.

Worst would be Aish, Mayne and so far Roughead.

Let me try a left field answer; Callum Brown. I think it was last year he played against WCE and had a bit of it. To me, I recognised a bit of Sam Mitchell in how clean he was with the ball and how much that allowed him to pick the right option and get the ball there effectively. So, I agree with all the obvious answers of peddles, etc but let's see how Callum lives up to my call in the future ;)

The opposite end of the spectrum would be, at times, Mason Cox. Just because natural readers of the play would sometimes be caught out by him. That is in both good and bad ways - that is people would be confused by his running patterns at times, underestimate him and over estimate him. Footy is so structured these days so I don't know it, but suspect Mason might be a handful to stay in sync with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like Darcy Moore and Chris Mayne are the two who ball-stop a lot.

Who are our best flow players? ...

... they’re the players who have the situational awareness to quickly directly the ball to where it needs to go before the opposition have time to figure out what’s going on? They could be in the middle of a nest of opposition players and they handball over their head and into the lap of a team-mate who finds himself free in a paddock of space. They’re the players who instead of taking possession, deftly tap the ball into the path of a team-mate who is running into goal while the opposition are caught three plays behind and trying to figure out WTF just happened?

Who are our worst flow players? Our flow killers? ...

... they’re the ones who having taken a mark, will look up and find a sea of unmarked black and white jumpers ahead of them, so they duly go back on the mark and wait until all their team-mates are manned up before taking their kick. They would rather jump on the ball to hold up play than tap it into the path of a phalanx of teammates running past. And when they do get a bit of dare and take a risk they typically gift wrap the footy before handing it straight to the opposition. Or they get pinged holding the ball. Who really needs to work on their situational awareness?

Treloar and Sidebottom do this a fair bit, but it appears to be luck more than anything else, because they also give it back to the opposition this way a lot.

Let me try a left field answer; Callum Brown. I think it was last year he played against WCE and had a bit of it. To me, I recognised a bit of Sam Mitchell in how clean he was with the ball and how much that allowed him to pick the right option and get the ball there effectively. So, I agree with all the obvious answers of peddles, etc but let's see how Callum lives up to my call in the future ;)

The opposite end of the spectrum would be, at times, Mason Cox. Just because natural readers of the play would sometimes be caught out by him. That is in both good and bad ways - that is people would be confused by his running patterns at times, underestimate him and over estimate him. Footy is so structured these days so I don't know it, but suspect Mason might be a handful to stay in sync with.

Agree on Callum. Sier too.

Go with the flow? Like who's chilled and that re.. I reckon De Goey.. the way he goes about it looks like he's shelling peas and that re. Pendlebury is another one.. super chilled.. doesn't get into scuffles and that re.. Roylce Royce re or however the f you spell it and that re.

Mayne and Langdon are two that come to mind but to be fair they aren't naturally blessed with physical traits to sidestep or accelerate if they get caught out so i can understand why they "flow it down".

Yeah don’t agree with Adams, he is one who occasionally isnt afraid to go take the game on with a run. If he miskicks, i can agree that would disrupt flow but his disposal is better these days.

Pendlebury our best Manye our worst

I think Crocker is worse. I suspect it’s why he’s not a particular favourite with fans - he marks the ball and goes back and takes his kick. He’s in a 1 on 1 battle and the best he does is hold it up until the cavalry arrives. I’m not as harsh on him as some - because he has some good qualities too (gets into good position, strong overhead, kicks straight) but they’re not so high profile acts.

Last edited:
I think Crocker is worse. I suspect it’s why he’s not a particular favourite with fans - he marks the ball and goes back and takes his kick. He’s in a 1 on 1 battle and the best he does is hold it up until the cavalry arrives. I’m not as harsh on him as some - because he has some good qualities too (gets into good position, strong overhead, kicks straight) but it’s they’re not so high profile acts.
Agree we have a few on the list that like to play it safe and slow the game down as a result but think overall we have a good mix and play with a fair bit of excitement when the ball is released to the right players,when our run breaks the lines and gets overlap good luck stopping them. Great to watch when in full flight.

Mayne and Langdon are two that come to mind but to be fair they aren't naturally blessed with physical traits to sidestep or accelerate if they get caught out so i can understand why they "flow it down".
In open play Langdon is very good at side stepping, it’s when he marks the ball, he is looking for the prefect pass that isn’t there instead of wheeling and going.

Moving it on:

Pendlebury and Wells are stand outs.
Varcoe does the 1% tap ons, move the ball on, running on brilliantly too.
Sier of the newer players picks excellent options quickly. Good driver in heavy traffic.
(Cox pushing the ball forward would be a surprise but he does push it on.)

Not this season but even playing well last season, Mayne could slow things down.
Moves it quicker this year. Grand Final was his turning point.

Just on poise, Scharenberg oozes poise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back