Who are our most important 5 players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Made a post that made me think of this thread. Very likely 3 of the 5 I chose are no longer at the club next year.

Taking known and possible list changes into account who does everyone feel are currently our 5 most important players?
Josh Schache, Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews, Dayne Beams (if fit) and Dayne Zorko

Should probably post mine if I'm bumping an old thread.

1.) Schache - Our best forward and the kind of player you can build a team around. Whilst there are probably players whose current impact on field is more valuable he is our future and his (hopeful) re-signing will probably be seen a symbolic that we have arrested the leaking of talented youth
2.) Beams - The impact having him on field for us can't be overstated enough, desperately need him back next year
3.) Harry - Best tall defender and leadership down back
4.) Stef - Didn't really follow up his last two stellar years (Thanks a lot, May) but still our number one ruck by some margin and having him go down and having to rely solely on Archie (who did look great at the end of this year but still possibly not quite ready to shoulder a full year as number one) and Eagles could hurt us
5.) Zorko - Ball winning, pace and kicks goals. He won the MM for a reason. Gun

Last edited:

1 Schache: A gun KPP for the next 10 years. Simply can't afford to lose him
2 Andrews: See above.
3 Zorko: Drives high standards and in our top 2 players
4 Beams See above.
5 Cutler Bit of a left field one but he is young and one of the most talented players on our list. If he continues on his current trajectory he could end up being our version of Johannisen. Quality young player and likely to only get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rocky is in almost all the recent lists :(

Mine:
Beams - should be the new captain IMO.
Zorko - Elite standards
Andrews - Bookend 1
Schache - Bookend 2
Rich - He plays well, we play well.

Rich (new capt?) deserves to be rewarded for his loyalty.
Beams (A grade and all class)
Zorko (has become a very honest, professional footballer and much respect for overcoming a youthful way-wardness)
Andrews and Mathieson are our shinning hope for future successes.

My list is consisting of the five players who, if they perform at their best, will give usthe best chance to maximize wins.

Beams
Zorko
Mayes
Andrews
Rockliff

I hate having Rocky in there as I want him gone, but if he can get to career best form along with Zorko and Beams it would go a long way for us. Mayes having the breakout season we've all been waiting for would take our outside game to another level and of course Harris cementing himself as a general would make the rebound from D50 all that more sweet. Didn't go with Schache or Hip as I think success in 2017 will rely less on keys and more on the mids scoring.

2017- Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff, Daniel Rich, Stefan Martin, Jack Frost.

the next flag window- Josh Schache, Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwood, Archie Smith, Tom Cutler. + this years pick 3 and 2017s 2 first round selections.

1. Rockliff - heart and soul of the club and leads by example
2. Beams - goal a game classy ball winner can do everything well
3. Martin - AA contending ruckman and essentially is another midfielder
4. Merrett - leadership for extremely young backline, will provide cover for Andrews, and Clarke while being the enforcer that protects the kids
5. Bastinac - the inside mid we have always needed. Will free up Beams, Rich and Hanley to play more outside/forward

Sorry for the intrusion, glad to see some love for Ryan. I always rated him at North, but he fell out of favour with Scott.

How did he go this season, I go to see very few games at all, and none of Brisbane's this year.

Sorry for the intrusion, glad to see some love for Ryan. I always rated him at North, but he fell out of favour with Scott.

How did he go this season, I go to see very few games at all, and none of Brisbane's this year.

Played all games, not spectacular but did his job. Probably our best deliverer inside 50 too. Came seventh in B&F voting.

Are we getting a little bit ahead of ourselves saying schache is destined to be a 'superstar'. He is a really great young player, but was there enough in his first year to suggest he is our single most important player, now or in the future? I love the shack, but still a lot of water to go under the bridge if you ask me.

Are we getting a little bit ahead of ourselves saying schache is destined to be a 'superstar'. He is a really great young player, but was there enough in his first year to suggest he is our single most important player, now or in the future? I love the shack, but still a lot of water to go under the bridge if you ask me.

I saw enough to form the opinion that he is going to be a very good player at a minimum and a key cog if we are to rise up the ladder. Whether he becomes a superstar or not, who knows depends on your definition I guess. I think that Hipwood has the athleticism edge over Schache and this will see him do some things on the field that just blow you away, consequently this may lead him to getting the superstar tag over Schache (if he continues developing). The things that impressed me about Schache were his running patterns and willingness to get up the ground, his ability to read the ball effectively and the most impressive was his body control when in the air and his ability to recover after hitting the ground. He's a very solid well rounded prospect but the term superstar could sit with his forward compatriot due the points above.

I saw enough to form the opinion that he is going to be a very good player at a minimum and a key cog if we are to rise up the ladder. Whether he becomes a superstar or not, who knows depends on your definition I guess. I think that Hipwood has the athleticism edge over Schache and this will see him do some things on the field that just blow you away, consequently this may lead him to getting the superstar tag over Schache (if he continues developing). The things that impressed me about Schache were his running patterns and willingness to get up the ground, his ability to read the ball effectively and the most impressive was his body control when in the air and his ability to recover after hitting the ground. He's a very solid well rounded prospect but the term superstar could sit with his forward compatriot due the points above.

Yeah great response, I agree, cant wait to watch him devalop, I think he can reach AA status - if I had to tip one or the other to reach greater heights, based strictly on what I saw last year, I'd say Hipwood - kid just reads the ball like a newspaper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back