Strategy Who are St Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi Guys.

Feel free to boot me if this offends but I'm quite genuine about it and it's had me irritated for months.

I live in Kingston and I'm involved with the SFL for what it's worth.

I cannot understand how Hawthorn have been allowed to develop a training centre in St Kilda's backyard. I mean obviously you can't stop them but what are St Kilda doing off field? How could there possibly be the space for Hawthorn to think they could march across Dandenong Road and set up camp next door to Moorabbin?

Why haven't St Kilda changed their name to the Southern Saints? (As a Blood this would s**t me but it wouldn't be in the top 10 things that shat me). Why haven't they aligned with the SFL? Why don't they own the territory from Port Melbourne to Sorrento and across to Hastings or Tooradin?

It seems to me that The Bulldogs provided the blueprint and it's being ignored.

Why not have a 30k capacity at Moorabbin and play home games there against GWS and Gold Coast.

Ok, I'm not a member and maybe St Kilda have some grand strategy but I just don't see what it is. Maybe now is a good time to ask that question because you're going to be competitive for the next 5 years and you're going to want to trade off that competitiveness to strengthen the club off field.

As I say, feel free to boot me.

I think we have strategised the Bayside area which doesn't really have a hold on Dingley. I'm not big on the name change and we are used to developing an area only for the hawks to move in on us. They are like a broken sewer that keeps leaking brown and yellow everywhere we go.

Hi Guys.

Feel free to boot me if this offends but I'm quite genuine about it and it's had me irritated for months.

I live in Kingston and I'm involved with the SFL for what it's worth.

I cannot understand how Hawthorn have been allowed to develop a training centre in St Kilda's backyard. I mean obviously you can't stop them but what are St Kilda doing off field? How could there possibly be the space for Hawthorn to think they could march across Dandenong Road and set up camp next door to Moorabbin?

Why haven't St Kilda changed their name to the Southern Saints? (As a Blood this would s**t me but it wouldn't be in the top 10 things that shat me). Why haven't they aligned with the SFL? Why don't they own the territory from Port Melbourne to Sorrento and across to Hastings or Tooradin?

It seems to me that The Bulldogs provided the blueprint and it's being ignored.

Why not have a 30k capacity at Moorabbin and play home games there against GWS and Gold Coast.

Ok, I'm not a member and maybe St Kilda have some grand strategy but I just don't see what it is. Maybe now is a good time to ask that question because you're going to be competitive for the next 5 years and you're going to want to trade off that competitiveness to strengthen the club off field.

As I say, feel free to boot me.
we can't afford a VFL team, how can we afford a 30k arena

personally I think Hawthorn are nuts. They should be moving into their own catchment area. Glenferrie Road was perfect as a location for this club. Dingly is nuts for the single Eastern Suburbs club.

I love the idea of fully renovating moorabbin and building a 40,000 stadium there so saints can get out of docklands. But it's a pipe dream

Don't rate the "western bulldogs" marketing stuff. I don't care if it makes them more money, to me it's awful how footy clubs have become just like every other company almost.

I also agree with the above poster. I don't like how hawthorn seem to be pretending like st kilda doesn't exist. Glenferrie is pretty small but again, surely that isn't a big problem. I don't like all of this wanky American copy behaviour, why do you need 5 ovals or whatever they are planning? Strange. Meanwhile, brisbane is falling apart and they are training in the gabba basement. So much for equalisation

Problem is that demographics have changed and it's no longer a suburban tribe thing. And you won't get a 40K stadium these days because of all the precious nimby's.

My memory may be affected by the amber fluids of time, but I'm pretty sure that we toyed with idea of changing our name to the Southern Saints once before ( in the mI'd to ltell 80's)... It was 'voted' down by the voice of the people ( in the days before social media)...

The name St.Kilda is a massive part of the club. Arguably more than Footscray was to the Dogs. I'm not too worried about Hawthorn moving to the former Dingle tip. Different supporter base on every level. We have a unique history that is linked with the name St.Kilda. Hawthorns supporter Base is based on private scholl kids who went to school in the big private schools in Hawthorn and saw those 80's eara premiership. They are what Melbourne was in the 50's and I feel they will share a similar future.

Dingley is a strange move for me. Literally the only advantage it has is the amount of land available. It has no outside services, no real ease of transport, no exposure and it smells like the tip it is half the time. I would LOATHE training in that smell.

Dingley is a strange move for me. Literally the only advantage it has is the amount of land available. It has no outside services, no real ease of transport, no exposure and it smells like the tip it is half the time. I would LOATHE training in that smell.
I hope you are right, but got a bad feeling about all this. I can imagine all those rich upper middle class Hawthorn professionals with government connections buying up and developing all the properties and land round there, getting train lines, shutting down the plant and opening up a perfume or bread factory and waiting it out. In 50-100 years it could be what Eastlands stadium was to Manchester city, albeit a totally different set of circumstances.

Richmond and Bohr filth don't have a problem with facilities next to each other.

The lure of Dingley us cheap land meaning you can build bigger facilities.

Our alignment with Sandy effectively gives us access to 2 different size grounds to train on if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure how you can really argue that "Southern Saints" is a great name for a club. I mean, what is "Southern" anyway? To me it certainly doesn't seem worth changing your identity over.

Also, for what its worth the club a couple of years ago (not sure whether it's still a priority) identified Port Melbourne to Portsea as its target area. As far as Hawthorn goes, it is currently difficult for us to compete with a club as successful as they are but no doubt the current leadership will not be using that as an excuse.

Hawthorn: It's their choice to set up a training base where they like, we'd sound silly if we object to it. It's also a risk moving so far from their heartland, wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be another Seaford type move.

Name change: Terrible idea. Western Bulldogs is a terrible, vague name matched only by the silliness of West Coast Eagles.

Aligning with the SFL: Guess that's the same entity as the SFNL which chipped in a quarter of a mill to the Moorabbin redevelopment?

30K stadium at Moorabbin: Pipe dream. We don't have the land or the cash. The area couldn't sustain that kind of traffic.

Hawthorn: It's their choice to set up a training base where they like, we'd sound silly if we object to it. It's also a risk moving so far from their heartland, wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be another Seaford type move.

Name change: Terrible idea. Western Bulldogs is a terrible, vague name matched only by the silliness of West Coast Eagles.

Aligning with the SFL: Guess that's the same entity as the SFNL which chipped in a quarter of a mill to the Moorabbin redevelopment?

30K stadium at Moorabbin: Pipe dream. We don't have the land or the cash. The area couldn't sustain that kind of traffic.

I reckon the Hawks could end up screwing this up. I heard Kennett the other day and they are so far up their own arses they can't see. If they spend 5 years down the ladder and members drop off they are in trouble paying off a huge lemon.

Changing our name would be like moving to Sydney and taking those delicious cola dollars. No thanks.

I don't think there is any evidence dogs branding themselves as western has helped in any way. They are in a similarly precarious position off field as us.

Get the mayors of Darwin cairns and Alice on board and get them to create st kilda suburbs in each town. Semi relocate to northern Australia and become the biggest and best sporting club this country has ever seen.

Get the mayors of Darwin cairns and Alice on board and get them to create st kilda suburbs in each town. Semi relocate to northern Australia and become the biggest and best sporting club this country has ever seen.
Only someone who lives in the North of Australia would suggest that :D

Where is Southern? And on that point how come there are 4 teams based further west than the Western Bulldogs?

Sydney Swans still have roots in South Melbourne. Lose your roots and lose your identity.

There are no tips in Dingley so i dont know where the Dingley stinks comes from, as it doesn't and hasn't had a tip for many years. The area has come along in leaps and bounds over the last 10yrs, the transport system is ok, and the shopping strip is being totally refurbished (new coffee shopsX3 is part of it), so why wouldnt a football club want to buy up cheap land by the acre and develope an elite training facility. The cost of land rose 25% in the last financial year, how do i know this? most of my family live there and have done for 30yrs, and i frequent there alot.

I lived behind the Moorabbin ground in the 70's to 90's, 25,000 and she would be busting at the seams, the local area cant handle the traffic, so i cant see it ever becoming and A.F.L ground again.

Southern Saints was put to the test in the 80's and failed miserably.

We chose Seaford the Hawks chose Dingley, i know which area i would of preferred as a training base, and its not Seaford, i welcome us back to Moorabbin so many memories there.

Will a change to Dingley shift any of my allegiance to the Hawks? Not in this lifetime...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back