Analysis Who are the 10 best players in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Buddy is already the greatest indigenous player ever and he may lay claim to being the greatest full stop if he puts out another couple seasons at 2021 levels.

He’ll kick 1000+ goals as a KPF when his weakness is overheard marking, that’s insane to think about.
Reckon his overhead marking is a bit of a furphy. He doesn't get off the ground particularly, but he uses his body well a bit like Lockett used to and takes the hits without being knocked off balance. Not as spectacular, but effective for a leading player. In 2008 he had the most marks inside 50 ever,

Reckon his overhead marking is a bit of a furphy. He doesn't get off the ground particularly, but he uses his body well a bit like Lockett used to and takes the hits without being knocked off balance. Not as spectacular, but effective for a leading player. In 2008 he had the most marks inside 50 ever,

You don’t see him taking the big overhead marks as frequently the way you see Kennedy, Lynch and those types do, not saying he’s bad at it but it’s the one element of his game he could improve.

The fact that he’s so damaging without that in an era which often denies forwards space to lead and work one on one is one of the many things I admire about him as a player.

A lot of dees fans that watch us closely value Oliver higher than Petracca even though petracca might get a bit more external praise. Obviously they're both guns but if I had to offer anyone an 8 year contract for a million a year, it would be Oliver.

I would've said this before this season too. I've always thought his kicking deficiencies were greatly overstated. And now people are even calling him a great kick lol.

A lot of dees fans that watch us closely value Oliver higher than Petracca even though petracca might get a bit more external praise. Obviously they're both guns but if I had to offer anyone an 8 year contract for a million a year, it would be Oliver.

I would've said this before this season too. I've always thought his kicking deficiencies were greatly overstated. And now people are even calling him a great kick lol.
Watching live it's blindingly obvious how good Oliver is, special player.

Same goes for Gawn IMO, don't care that he was AA, just like McGovern at his best in that his position on the ground make the opposition doubt themselves for the long kick - just an excellent combo to have.

Oliver's the best player in the comp right now.

Watching live it's blindingly obvious how good Oliver is, special player.

Same goes for Gawn IMO, don't care that he was AA, just like McGovern at his best in that his position on the ground make the opposition doubt themselves for the long kick - just an excellent combo to have.
Yeah Gawn is a disruptor to opposition teams and you don't fully see that until you see him live

A bit like McGovern was he makes teams try and kick the ball where he isn't and when he gets into the right spots it *s the oppositions ball movement

Was hard to pick just 10, but weighing up more recent form along with career consistent form here’s my list.

• Dustin Martin: 3 Norm Smith medals and a Brownlow over the past 5 years
  • Nat Fyfe: 2 x Brownlow medalist, absolute star
  • Patrick Dangerfield: equal record 8 All Australians and a Brownlow medal
  • Marcus Bontempelli: emerged as the best player in the league this season, 2019 coaches champion.
  • Lance Franklin: On the verge of 1000 career goals, 8 All Australians, 4 Coleman medals. In his 17th season at age 34 averaged 2.83 goals a game, 2nd highest in the league.
  • Max Gawn: 5 All Australians over the past 6 seasons, current AA captain. 2018 coaches champion
  • Tom Hawkins: Best forward in the league over the last 3 years with 3 All Australians and a Coleman.
  • Lachie Neale: 2 All Australians over the past 3 years, reigning Brownlow medalist and coaches champion.
  • Clayton Oliver: Best contested player in the game and currently the most in form player in the comp. This seasons coaches champion.
  • Jack Steele: Best Two way player in the game, past 2 seasons have been top 5 in the league.

Last edited:
Was hard to pick just 10, but weighing up more recent form along with career consistent form here’s my list.

• Marcus Bontempelli: emerged as the best player in the league this season, 2019 coaches champion.
  • Lance Franklin: On the verge of 1000 career goals, 8 All Australians, 4 Coleman medals. In his 17th season at age 34 averaged 2.83 goals a game, 2nd highest in the league.
  • Max Gawn: 5 All Australians over the past 6 seasons, current AA captain. 2018 coaches champion
  • Tom Hawkins: Best forward in the league over the last 3 years with 3 All Australians and a Coleman.
  • Lachie Neale: 2 All Australians over the past 3 years, reigning Brownlow medalist and coaches champion.
  • Clayton Oliver: Best contested player in the game and currently the most in form player in the comp. This seasons coaches champion.
  • Jack Steele: Best Two way player in the game, past 2 seasons have been top 5 in the league.

Reckon that's pretty close to the mark considering consistent career form. A few will drop out in the next year or so but that's inevitable.

There's a reason Petracca has been in the 18 in the last two AA's and Steele has been on the bench in the last two AA's.

Petracca is more damaging, more brilliant, kicks far more goals and has the same amount of disposals over that period.

You may be trying to be unbiased, but there's no way Steele covers Petracca in the best 10 players of the league.

Oliver shits on Petracca.
Agreed - I would be interested to see how the dees would go if he missed a game. He generates so much of their play from the contest with his elite hands. The fact he is hitting the scoreboard now too has propelled him to another level
Second half would be where you really notice his absence. If we have a half time lead he alone almost makes it impossible for sides to catch up given the resistance he provides around stoppages. Esp early in the year there were a few games where it seemed like he (and Lever and May) was the only one that hadn’t fallen asleep once we’d gotten ahead.

Similarly, as we saw against Geelong and Brisbane (R12) no deficit is too high to reel back if he turns it on.

Kid’s a freak. Reckon he’s going to improve for at least the next four years, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a reason Petracca has been in the 18 in the last two AA's and Steele has been on the bench in the last two AA's.

Petracca is more damaging, more brilliant, kicks far more goals and has the same amount of disposals over that period.

You may be trying to be unbiased, but there's no way Steele covers Petracca in the best 10 players of the league.
I’m happy with the top 9 there, they aren’t in any particular order, but all have awards that consider them the best at some point, whether it’s a Brownlow or coaches award, or a Coleman as the best forward.

The last spot was a coin flipping contest between 4, Steele, Petracca, Naitanui and Harris Andrews.

Andrews the best key defender over 3 years.
Naitanui has had to elite years as a ruckman.
Petracca and Steele both have had arguably top 5 seasons the past 2 years

As I mentioned with Steele as the best 2 way player, his defensive side of the game is as good as his attack on the ball. Best in the league going both ways.

As for Petracca, similar type player to Dusty and Dangerfield as midfielders that go forward and kick goals, and the past 2 seasons have not been on their level.

So I went with Steele as the Best 2 way player over Petracca the 4th best goal kicking midfielder behind Dusty, Danger and Bont. But splitting hairs between the 2 for the 10th spot.

I’m happy with the top 9 there, they aren’t in any particular order, but all have awards that consider them the best at some point, whether it’s a Brownlow or coaches award, or a Coleman as the best forward.

The last spot was a coin flipping contest between 4, Steele, Petracca, Naitanui and Harris Andrews.

Andrews the best key defender over 3 years.
Naitanui has had to elite years as a ruckman.
Petracca and Steele both have had arguably top 5 seasons the past 2 years

As I mentioned with Steele as the best 2 way player, his defensive side of the game is as good as his attack on the ball. Best in the league going both ways.

As for Petracca, similar type player to Dusty and Dangerfield as midfielders that go forward and kick goals, and the past 2 seasons have not been on their level.

So I went with Steele as the Best 2 way player over Petracca the 4th best goal kicking midfielder behind Dusty, Danger and Bont. But splitting hairs between the 2 for the 10th spot.
Give me brilliance and goal kicking over a two-way runner every day of the week.

Martin is the best player in the league, because of his brilliance, not two-way running.

Most marks inside 50 ever recorded, which is a stat that has only been kept since 199.

Franklin took 125 marks inside 50 out of 158. I reckon Lockett and Dunstall probably eclipsed that mark. Doesn't detract from what was a once in lifetime season.

Franklin leads and marks like a traditional FF and has the goalkicking record to match, but he covers ground and has the stats of a CHF. Remarkable player. In 2016 he averaged 18 touches and 6 marks a game, kicked 81 goals and had 116 inside 50s. Backed it up with similar numbers in 2017.

Oh ok I didn’t realise an arbitrary rating point system based on the current season and God knows what sort of form impact and influence metrics outweighs any other means of ranking the current player body
hmm interesting given the others in the top 5 then

'Rating points' are bullshit, but look at the company NicNat keeps in the top 10.

1 Naitanui
2 Bont
3 Petracca
4 Oliver
5 Martin
6 Liberatore
7 Macrae
8 Gawn
9 Steele
10 Wines

8 of those 10 made the AA side and Dusty is in everyone's top 10 players in the comp.

Cool story bro. You already lost the Gawn v Naitanui debate. Come back next year :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back