Who are the "A" graders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Tex Sloane Talia Eddie are A graders. The difference this year is a few have stepped up and we have some really solid b graders.
When the going gets tough, its our A graders that win it for us, especially Sloane

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We like to think we have to high quality small defenders in Brown and Laird, yet we always get destroyed by small forwards.
Laird is the best offensive HBF in the competition, now. Yes, that includes Docherty, Shaw etc.

I reckon that makes him A grade

We like to think we have to high quality small defenders in Brown and Laird, yet we always get destroyed by small forwards.

Laird is quality, but more of a HBF then a proper back pocket.

That said, I wonder how much of us getting destroyed by small forwards is more a trade off by our coaching staff instead of a big issue. Just a mixture of how goals are scored against us (as most tend to be very slingshot like) and if not we have one of the best tall defender cordons in the league meaning small forwards have to be used more.

Some serious blinkers on if we are labelling Talia elite! No doubt is an excellent defender but his kicking skills are s**t and being slow doesn't help. A lot will disagree and that's fine, but I couldn't call him elite unless his kicking was top notch and he added a bit more counter attacking to his game.

I prefer Drugs's criteria, without a doubt Tex has performed reasonably consistently on the biggest stage so is definitely A grade/elite. Sloane and Betts would also arguably be up there. Big reputations can be made in finals and we have quite a few players capable of ripping a game apart, hopefully they can step up and do so (thinking Atkins, Cameron, Smith, Brouch, McGovern)

Some serious blinkers on if we are labelling Talia elite! No doubt is an excellent defender but his kicking skills are s**t and being slow doesn't help. A lot will disagree and that's fine, but I couldn't call him elite unless his kicking was top notch and he added a bit more counter attacking to his game.

I prefer Drugs's criteria, without a doubt Tex has performed reasonably consistently on the biggest stage so is definitely A grade/elite. Sloane and Betts would also arguably be up there. Big reputations can be made in finals and we have quite a few players capable of ripping a game apart, hopefully they can step up and do so (thinking Atkins, Cameron, Smith, Brouch, McGovern)

Surprisingly a KPD is rated on his ability to defend, and Talia is the best in the league at defending.

Kicking skills are average, and doesn't offer a lot counter attack wise is just icing at this point.

I don't recall an Adelaide list, at least in the last decade, having so many who consistently play "A grade" football or who are capable of playing A grade football:

Genuine A graders:

Tex,
Laird
Talia,
Sauce
B Crouch
M Crouch
Betts
Brown
Lever

Have shown glimpses of A grade ability:

Cameron
Otten
Hampton
McGovern
Jenkins
Atkins
B Smith

If we can have our best 22 fit and firing come finals anything is possible. We have genuine talent on every line.

You forgot Mackay in second list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprisingly a KPD is rated on his ability to defend, and Talia is the best in the league at defending.

Kicking skills are average, and doesn't offer a lot counter attack wise is just icing at this point.

Yes that is true, first and foremost he should be judged on his defending skills which are excellent, I think elite is thrown around too easily sometimes.

In my opinion tex and betts are elite skilled footballers, then we have a few players that would be a grade for their position (Sloane, talia, laird probably) and I have high hopes we could add Hampton, Menzel, Milera, Cameron, both crouches, Atkins to that list eventually.

That's silly. He's a two time all Australian and the best key position defensive stopper in the game by far.

Having a guy that can shut down an elite key forward is worth gold. We're been spoiled for too long with Truck then Talia. People have forgotten the days when we used to get monstered by the Allistair Lynch's of the world.

That's silly. He's a two time all Australian and the best key position defensive stopper in the game by far.

Having a guy that can shut down an elite key forward is worth gold. We're been spoiled for too long with Truck then Talia. People have forgotten the days when we used to get monstered by the Allistair Lynch's of the world.

Not doubting his defending, I just lean more towards him being an A grade defender and not so much an elite one (not that I can point to any other current player as elite, I'm definitely not suggesting say Rance is elite over him). I think his performances on occasion are assisted by the players around him - will be interesting to see who lines up on Riewoldt on Sunday on that note.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people think there is another level players like Sloane, Betts, Talia can ascend to if they turn it on during September and lead us to a grand final?

Reputation wise? Talia yes, Betts and Sloane no.

Reputation wise? Talia yes, Betts and Sloane no.
Personally I think we have a number of extremely good club minor round players. As good or better than most in the competition. What we don't have is players in that upper echelon who have reinforced their minor round record with outstanding finals series.

There is another level our standout players need to reach. Whether you call that A Grade or elite or champion or whatever doesn't matter.

It depends on your definitions! Really hard to tell.

Here's what I reckon. And none of this bullshit "future this future that", or he's got potential.
It's all about what has been achieved.

Elite Output - Clearly ranked in the best few players in their position in the league.
Sloane, Tex, Betts, Talia

A grade output - would be rushed into any 22 in any team in the league

Lynch, Jenkins, Laird, Smith, Jacobs

B grade output - blokes that are in the team either because they will improve to A graders or cos you don't have enough cattle

Lever, Cameron, Atkins, Brouch, Mrouch, McGovern, Dougie, Otten, Rat, Mackay, Hartigan, Brown, Knight

C grade output - guys you're playing cos of the potential to rise, or you're Carlton

Hampton, Menzel, Milera, Kelly

So what does all that mean?
Well, it's exciting to be a crows fan, cos if you talk about "potential" looking at the above as where guys are at right now - 13 "B" guys, I reckon 10 of those I have fairly high hopes of being ranked in the A grade section. Or elite. Hell, just this week the games from Lever, Rat, B/Mrouch were there. Now it's about consistency and further improvement.

The poor guys in C - grade, even there Hampton's last game was right up in A-grade territory. Hopefully not a one off. I'm bullish on Milera and Menzel still.
Exciting to be a crows fan. As long as that rise happens across the board, then look out.

The Rabbit has an alias, I repeat, the Rabbit has an alias
Obviously hasn't looked at Matt's Uncontested Possession count over the latter half of last year and this year...
Only improvement we need to see is to get his clanger count down......

1OtPVZ.png

No surprise the Midfield guys make more clangers than other players, that said Matt's in some elite company re that stat

GHfpmg.png

One of Bigfooty's favourite talking points is who's elite/A-grade, B-grade, who would get a game anywhere, et cerera, et cetera, et cetera.

In my view, the tiers are:

Elite - has consistently been in the top handful of players in their position

Excellent - is in the top 10% of players in their position, or are having a breakout season but haven't sustained their brillance yet

Very Good - would walk into most clubs' 22

Good - role player who can simply be relied on to play well

Fair - role player who you'd replace at the drop of a hat if you could

Depth Only - play if injuries make it neccessary

Spud - spud.

With our current squad, I reckon we have a few of each category. These are the players I feel can be sorted - not sure about the rest:

Elite:
Betts
Talia
Sloane

Excellent:
Walker
Laird

Very good:
Lynch
Jenkins
M.Crouch

Good:
Atkins
Cameron
Brown
Hartigan
Lever
Douglas

Fair:
You could put a lot of our developing players here like Menzel or Hampton, though you can't pigeon-hole those two yet

Depth:
Most of the SANFL squad

Spud:
Mackay. Normal service has resumed.

Last edited:
Personally I think we have a number of extremely good club minor round players. As good or better than most in the competition. What we don't have is players in that upper echelon who have reinforced their minor round record with outstanding finals series.

There is another level our standout players need to reach. Whether you call that A Grade or elite or champion or whatever doesn't matter.
Oh you talking Macca and Jarman level elite.

Guys that rise to the absolute occasion and seek the biggest games in the land and want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line. And of course have ice flowing through their veins as they execute perfectly and cooly.

Yeah, we dont have anyone who's proven at that level, not consistently like Macca and Jarman used to do it anyway.

Walker and Betts have it in them but they haven't done it often enough.

We certainly have a few that go weak at the knees when the pressure rises to that level though.

Do people think there is another level players like Sloane, Betts, Talia can ascend to if they turn it on during September and lead us to a grand final?

Sure.

It's not a particularly informative discussion piece though. We can categorise players into 'has won premiership' and 'has not won premiership' without a thread.

I think the top 10% are the A-graders, that means there are about 80 A graders in the competition and every club in an even competition would have 4 - 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back