Opinion Who are the AFL's best special comments experts?

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
He was not special comments being the main caller, but no one has ever said ''special'' quite like Bruce McAvaney. #special

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ling by far the worst. Jude Bolton is pretty awful too.

I don't mind Richo at the moment.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
I heard this dickhead talk s**t about Geelong for at least five years and he supposedly happy when we won a flag? what is the opposite of crocodile tears?

Think most ex-players go a lot harder on their club so as to not look biased (which ironically makes them look biased in another way).

Dunstall is a big example.

I like Leigh Montagna. Think he's best of the new blood.

tomcruise

the cruisemeister
Feb 23, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Leppitsch & Craig Jennings were great last year. No one I rate that highly this year. Montagna's decent & Dunstall's good in the right format.

Thought this would be a discussion about expert analysis, not special comments folks. Thought I might uncover some new analytical website gold, but you've given me NOTHING

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I initially didn't think there were any.
Then realised yeah nah, I was wrong.

Jim Bartell is easily the best. He's the contra Brereton, precise, concise, relevant, correct.

Then there would be Lethal. He's the contra Carey, wise, big picture, subtle.

Is there anyone else mentioning? Oh yeah, Daisy, for all the misogs out there, grinding teeth, clenching fists, ejaculating into their socks.

Lingy is a shocker.

Same every single game.

Whoever is behind at half time he says:

"The so and sos need to be braver with their ball movement".

Ok thanks super coach.

If ur brave with ball movement u win apparently.

Cant believe the coaches haven't figured that out.

Ah, that's why I never made AFL. It's not that I was generally useless, but my ball movement was far too conservative. Oh well, what could have been...

Ling by far the worst. Jude Bolton is pretty awful too.

I don't mind Richo at the moment.
Richo is the most unbiased of the lot.
Has grown into his role very well,a confident humble Tigers man.

Lethal and Piggy.

Piggy in particular likes to really be critical of Hawks during games, but he's still one of the best.
Lethal is getting on a bit now, but still genuinely insightful a lot of the time.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
David King - may not quite be the best but he is the most accurate

Jx7K5oL.jpg

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Richo, Riewoldts, Hodge, Dunstal, Dermie and despite what people might say I like Eddie if he counts a special commentator. These former players imo give the best insight into the game.

Dunno if you guys notice but Alastair Lynch takes a weird wheezy breath in every time he starts a sentence. It bloody annoys me, sorry if you can’t unhear it now lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richardson would have to be the worst. He's utterly deplorable. Like Tony Shaw, quintessential of what the 'boys club' is all about.
The best are the ones who don't mind any backlash and think for themselves. They are usually unable to get the prime time gigs are stuck doing VFL or weekly podcasts.

I agree with a poster above, Matty Lloyd is usually better than most with his special comments. Often predicts things opposed to retelling us all what just transpired during a passage of play.

Back