Player Watch Who are the AFL's most 'banged up' players?

Which 3 players are the most banged up? Three votes.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted before reading the criteria, but went with Selwood, Ward and Sloane on the basis that they seem the three who will struggle the most with numerous aches and pains post-career.

They are. A lot can retire and never have to work again if they get there finances right. Compared to an infantry soldier whose body is knackered after 10 years while making $70,000 a year.

That doesn't make them over paid knuckle head it makes service men under paid

A Team Of Banged Up Players
(not to be confused with only injury prone players)

B: Dale Thomas,Michael Hurley,Jack Ziebell
HB: Brett Deledio,Callum Ward, Keiran Jack
C: Dan Hannebery (C), Rory Sloane, Joel Selwood (VC)
HF: Tom Rockcliff, Lance Franklin,Jarryd Roughead
FF: Patrick Dangerfield, Josh Kennedy (WC), Robbie Gray
R: Mathew Kreuzer, Nat Fyfe,Gary Ablett,
INT:Marc Murphy, David Swallow, Ben Jacobs, Andrew Brayshaw.
Coach: Alan Richardson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fight with skin cancer took a lot out of Roughy more so than the nature of the game.
For a long time he only had partial feeling in his feet due to the nerve damage caused by the immunotherapy. Not sure whether he’s completely over all of those side effects as yet.

I'm not sure who Callum Ward is. I assume he plays for Collingwood. I often comment in detail about their players, but I cant be bothered learning their names.

Ziebell is my nom. Dylan Grimes up until 2017 was just about the king of the crocked brigade with Dave Astbury his partner in crime

Ziebell was well on his way to this list and looking at a shortened career due to his physical play style. Last years move to the forward line made a big difference to his year, instead of spending half of the off season recovering from impacts he's fit and ready to go now. Hopefully we made the change early enough that he will be able to have a successful half decade out of the forward line.

Gary Ablett clearly can’t do the things he used to, yet he’s still a champ.

Nathan Jones has been an inside beast in a poor side for a long time now - he’ll be wearing thin soon.
I haven't seen Nate Jones win a hard footy for at least two seasons, he gets fed by Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney et al then proceeds to butcher it. Not best 22 anymore imo

Gary Ablett clearly can’t do the things he used to, yet he’s still a champ.

Nathan Jones has been an inside beast in a poor side for a long time now - he’ll be wearing thin soon.
Jones is an interesting one.

The temptation to keep going and finally lead a a genuine contender would be very strong you'd think. I think he's been underrated for a l8ng time because of the lack if team success. You'd hope he can stick around a bit longer.

Jones is an interesting one.

The temptation to keep going and finally lead a a genuine contender would be very strong you'd think. I think he's been underrated for a l8ng time because of the lack if team success. You'd hope he can stick around a bit longer.

I don’t think Nathan Jones has been underrated by anyone?

He was a hard-at-it workhorse in a s**t midfield for many seasons.

If anything, he’s somewhat over rated due to being a medium sized fish in a small pond for the majority of his career.

He was never a guy you could build a quality midfield around - hence they never did - and his eventual replacement in the team was always going to happen once they finally got out of the cellar.

Has made the most of his talent though, not questioning that.

I don’t think Nathan Jones has been underrated by anyone?

He was a hard-at-it workhorse in a s**t midfield for many seasons.

If anything, he’s somewhat over rated due to being a medium sized fish in a small pond for the majority of his career.

He was never a guy you could build a quality midfield around - hence they never did - and his eventual replacement in the team was always going to happen once they finally got out of the cellar.

Has made the most of his talent though, not questioning that.

I dont get the the concept of "building a midfield" around a player at all.

I haven't seen Nate Jones win a hard footy for at least two seasons, he gets fed by Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney et al then proceeds to butcher it. Not best 22 anymore imo

I think he’s still easily best 22, lands plenty of tackles and wins lots of hard ball.

He’s certainly been able to do less on the inside since Viney and Oliver arrived, but yeh I can see him going downhill pretty quick at some point with his age and banged up body.

Back